BT Pass Rates

bpdulog

I was looking at the pass rate info from the homepage link, and the data only goes up to 2014. Is there updated information somewhere? I am just curious to see what they are now since it seems like the exams have gotten much tougher.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@bpdulog we haven't conducted a more recent survey (when we go to refresh the homepage, which will be before the end of the year, we will either conduct a new survey--or just as likely--remove the pass rate in favor of the qualitative indicators with respect to customer satisfaction/testimonials. I'm not sure yet. There are pros/cons.). We do need to update this page (https://www.bionicturtle.com/pass-rate-information/) cc @Nicole Seaman ... including with this updated FRM historical pass rate exhibit (copied below). I am curious, why you do think "it seems like the exams have gotten much tough," because fwiw that's not really my impression?

0401-pass-rates.png

surojitpalb

Hi @David @Nicole Seaman
I am trying to solve all the questions of your question bank. Some are easy but some are also very hard. Your questions sometimes do demoralise me :oops: when I am not able to solve them :(. I want to know whether the exam questions will be tougher than your questions? I mean on the exam day should I expect harder questions?

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @David @Nicole Seaman
I am trying to solve all the questions of your question bank. Some are easy but some are also very hard. Your questions sometimes do demoralise me :oops: when I am not able to solve them :(. I want to know whether the exam questions will be tougher than your questions? I mean on the exam day should I expect harder questions?
Hello,

From past feedback that we have received, Bionic Turtle's practice questions are always a bit more difficult than the questions on the exam. David writes each practice question with the intention of helping our members to understand the concepts in depth, and not just to memorize for the exam. If you search the forum, you will find exam feedback threads from the past few years that have a lot of discussion. This has been mentioned in some of those threads. I hope this helps! :)

Nicole

emilioalzamora1

I slightly disagree with this @Nicole Seaman. I have encountered exam questions much harder than some BT questions. Most BT questions do require more calculation etc. for sure and go into some (excellent) level of technical detail (which is much appreciated for the eager learners, but most of the time this technicalities are not necessary for exam day), but we cannot generalize saying that BT or (let's say any other service provider) has only easier/more trickier questions. For example, I noticed some useful preparation questions from Schweser as well (which in the end of the day helped with a handful of exam questions).

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
I slightly disagree with this @Nicole Seaman. I have encountered exam questions much harder than some BT questions. Most BT questions do require more calculation etc. for sure and go into some (excellent) level of technical detail (which is much appreciated for the eager learner, but most of the time this technicalities are not necessary for exam day), but we cannot generalize saying that BT or (let's say any other service provider) has only easier/more trickier questions. For example, I noticed some useful preparation questions from Schweser as well (which in the end of the day helped with a handful of exam questions).
Hello @emilioalzamora1

Maybe this will better explain what I was trying to say. https://www.bionicturtle.com/bt-faq/what-do-the-question-sets-include/. David and I are very proud of our practice questions, and I think what we wrote on our FAQ page better explains it. I was simply going by feedback that we have received, and not saying that our questions are any better than another prep provider's or GARP's ;)

emilioalzamora1

The BT questions are indeed and undoubtedly better (not mentioning the forum support!) but not always trickier (if we wanna call it like this). It is self-explanatory that the term 'tricky' itself is a fine line and has to be defined by everyone him-/herself.

In short, to put things into perspective here: everyone who does the BT questions when preparing for the exam will master the exam (because in the end of the day it does not matter if you cannot solve the real hard ones as long as you are doing well with the more straightforward questions)

Last edited:

bpdulog

@bpdulog we haven't conducted a more recent survey (when we go to refresh the homepage, which will be before the end of the year, we will either conduct a new survey--or just as likely--remove the pass rate in favor of the qualitative indicators with respect to customer satisfaction/testimonials. I'm not sure yet. There are pros/cons.). We do need to update this page (https://www.bionicturtle.com/pass-rate-information/) cc @Nicole Seaman ... including with this updated FRM historical pass rate exhibit (copied below). I am curious, why you do think "it seems like the exams have gotten much tough," because fwiw that's not really my impression?

0401-pass-rates.png

I'm going by the feedback I'm reading in the feedback posts such as this:

"Can't agree more, actually on Analyst Forum, people are saying the same thing! For this kind of exam, the level of difficulty in the Practice Tests and the actual exam is really far apart and the amount of material covered is so much that it becomes pointless no matter how many hours you put in. I spent around 250 hours for this but I think even if I spend another 100 hours, it would not be different. I am just worried I have to repeat this hell exam again as it is like going to a lottery everytime we take the exam. One thing for sure is the level of difficulty of the FRM exam has gone up a lot! Years ago there is only 1 level and it is so straight forward that my friends who took it at that time thinking they only need about 100 hours to practice for the combined exam. Now, each level become much harder and every year people are saying that the difficulty level just increase!"

I mean, I'm already doing my 3rd go around with BT questions but there's just so much material to cover that you can forget about another section when doing a deep dive in one section. My "formula sheet" is almost 30 pages, which is double what I had for Part I.

There also seems to be questions written vignette style and lots of confusing wording thrown in just to throw people off.