Exam Feedback November 2019 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrustamli

I have doubt in down move factor we should not take as. 90 as down move. We should take. 95.
3300×1.05= 3465

3300 3465×.95 =3300
3135×1.05=3300

3300×.95=3135

and my guess is since this is futures index risk neutral probability should take 1.

and the present value of (3200-3135=65) is 64.XX.which is option c. It is logical guess only.

Practice exams also had such questions where Up and Down moves were given and D was not equal to 1/U, so I took the increase and decrease that were given in the conditions - it clearly stated that it is expected to increase by 5% and decrease 10%.

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
How abt Cheapest to deliver, any one can remember the answer?

In the red book, I think they all had losses, so it was the one with the smallest loss, which was just a few pennies. I think it was the first or second. First comes to mind.

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
does maturity need to be taken into consideration?

I don't think so. It's just Conversion Factor (CF)xSettlement Price minus the Quoted Price. CFxSP is what the short will be paid, the Quoted Price is what it will cost him to acquire the bonds.

Victor93

So the logic is choose Min (Quoted Bond Price - QFPx CF) regardless of positive or negative result, because 4 calculations from options have both positive and negative results, am I correct?

Indrahui

So the logic is choose Min (Quoted Bond Price - QFPx CF) regardless of positive or negative result, because 4 calculations from options have both positive and negative results, am I correct?
I think they were all positive losses.. B was the answer I guess

Amir_03

Well I found exam pretty much easier than BT questions. BT asked a lot of LO questions which the exam did not, it was quite simple. I finished entire exam in 3-1/2 hours and got enough time to review all my answers. Gonna absolutely clear it with flying colours.

Fisuca

You have to maximize Settlement×CF - quote price which is äquivalent to minimizing quote price divided by CF

Naresh Nayak

You have to maximize Settlement×CF - quote price which is äquivalent to minimizing quote price divided by CF
Exactly settlementxCF is the cash received(inflow) and quoted price is the cash paid(outflow).os it can be either maximising the profit or minimising the loss. In The question as everything was loss we had to minimise the loss
1. One question was on the covariance stationary time series. I marked the answer which said that variance remains constant.
2. Monte Carlo simulation: I guess the answer was 45000.
3. Confidence Level<-> Economic Capital...? Does anyone remember this?
4. t-test..? I marked t-test>critical value..hence reject..I don't know if this is correct as I had to guess this one with a few seconds remaining.
5. Bond rating downgrade...Non-investment grade/investment grade and stock market relation...Anyone?
6. Variation Margin one ...the answer was 0, I think.
7. Risk Data aggregation/reporting...Finance division something?
8. One question was on crack-spread..
9. CAPM assumptions: Lending and borrowing at the same rate; investors' expectations same.....??

@Fisuca, I remember marking 40% too...
Does anyone remember Crack spread question? And what was the answer for confidence interval <—> economic capital question

tweakpun

Subscriber
Not just for the sake of keeping this thread alive, but what do you guys think the cut off score would be, especially in comparison to the May’ 19 exam and the ones prior to that as well..?

Personally, I cannot seem to guess how much I’d be scoring. A score of 60, I’d say...and this might not suffice..sadly!

adeex18

From what I've read, it comes down to the top 5% of scores, that'll probably determine what the minimum passing score will be. All we can do is speculate, no one can say with certainty. But the consensus view here and on other forum that I've visited is that the exam we had was lengthy and somewhat difficult. Taking that into consideration, I personally think a score of 60 should be sufficient to pass, maybe I'm being too optimistic

I passed part 1 last year in May. I had used only the GARP material then so didn’t have much practice. I had to blind guess in the last 5 questions as I was running out of time....assuming I got none of those right I was expecting a score of low 70s.

I believe GARP tries to be consistent with the exam difficulty level. What does change is the pool of candidates.

G

Guest 61086

I passed part 1 last year in May. I had used only the GARP material then so didn’t have much practice. I had to blind guess in the last 5 questions as I was running out of time....assuming I got none of those right I was expecting a score of low 70s.

I believe GARP tries to be consistent with the exam difficulty level. What does change is the pool of candidates.
Interesting comment by Amit....I would be curious as to how GARP actually finalises the exam ie does it ask its members (under a NDA) to complete say a list of questions and from that a level of difficulty is determined and that then determines just which questions make it to the exam?

To clarify, I passed part 1 on the first try. Unfortunately, that's not the case with part 2. Having seen the part 2 exam more than once I would say the difficulty level is consistent.

In their webcast in the beginning of the year, couple of things stood out:
1. Anything in the GARP material is fair game.
2. There's a lot of statistical analysis done to determine who passes and who doesn't.

antogiar

To clarify, I passed part 1 on the first try. Unfortunately, that's not the case with part 2. Having seen the part 2 exam more than once I would say the difficulty level is consistent.

In their webcast in the beginning of the year, couple of things stood out:
1. Anything in the GARP material is fair game.
2. There's a lot of statistical analysis done to determine who passes and who doesn't.

the cut-off is normally between 60% and 65% of correct answers. I passed too the I with no problem and struggling since then to pass II. Hopefully this time is the good one

Status
Not open for further replies.