Exam Feedback May 2018 Part 2 Exam Feedback

jamietay

I think it was adverse selection, but I chose the wrong one: one was about due diligence (I chose this one), the other about contributing with his own funds (I believe this was the right one).
I think there are 2 options on adverse selection. Based on David’s notes, resolution is due diligence on the Arranger.

terrance00232

Hello all!

Does anyone know what is the official GARP policy with regards to the wall clocks in the exam rooms? In London there was no clock in the room and we were only relying to the proctors announcements of the remaining time. However, I have been informed that in the exam room of a different country there was a wall clock! Any ideas??

Many thanks!

In Taiwan, it's not allow to have any clock or any watch in the room and I remember that proctors shall tell everyone the time that we remain every half hour during the examination.

Stella G

In Taiwan, it's not allow to have any clock or any watch in the room and I remember that proctors shall tell everyone the time that we remain every half hour during the examination.

I was under the same impression and this was what happened in London but then how is it possible for other countries to have had a wall clock in the actual exam room?? I think this is not fair game so was wondering if anyone could advise on any formal policy that GARP might have released regarding this. Maybe @David Harper CFA FRM or @Nicole Seaman would be the best persons to assist.

Last edited:

drewmanfsu

I finished in 2 hours and left 6 questions blank on first pass thru. I expected more theory than math, but was disappointed that only 23/80 questions were math related/involved calcs. I also felt frustrated leaving the exam because it seemed as if they tested a lot of what I would consider fringe material. No real regulatory or Basel questions either. I would suggest BT start incorporating similar questions to what is found on GARP practice tests in previous years. (I learned how to compute CVA charges from old garp and not BT which came up huge on exam) Here is the rest of what I remember:

23 calcs total

2 CVA calcs, one with collateral and one without

Ho lee in binomial tree calc

Vasicek calc 2 periods forward

2 CVaR calcs

Stressed loss minus EL

Contribution by asset allocation calc

IFSCL9 rules for writing off Credit EL vs CECL

Workplace ethics/behavior

Regression hedge calc

2x Identifying risks present in a scenario

Stratification vs screens portfolio construction theory

Freq/severity theory for LDA

Data aggregation principles/best practices

Implication of default % on tranches

Frictions in 2008 crisis theory/scenario “which is right”

2x Implied PD w/CDS spreads

TRS

Marginal VaR calc

Component VaR calc

Option VaR calc

LVaR calc

VaR theory about what mapping methodology reduces VaR

2x ES question calcs - one tail quantiles and other in dollars by %

Incremental VaR calc

Convoluted protection/credit risk scenarios w/CDS exposure and identifying wrong way risk

Scenario for Right way risk increasing or decreasing

Ops risk vs credit risk theory

Machine learning best application

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @drewmanfsu Thank you for very helpful feedback. Question: what do you mean by "old garp" with respect to CVA? (because we had to explain why their first approach was wrong https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/garp-2017-p2-76.10344/). Just trying to understand where is the example of a good CVA question .... Generally with respect to their old exams, we've mostly contributed dozens of errors contributed by our members. It's not often that somebody suggests that we should mine older GARP practice exams which are well known to be plagued with problems. (Don't get me wrong the 2018 Practice Exams are much improved but they are the beneficiary of years of edits/corrections). Thanks,

Last edited:

nikic

I was under the same impression and this was what happened in London but then how is it possible for other countries to have had a wall clock in the actual exam room?? I think this is not fair game so was wondering if anyone could advise on any formal policy that GARP might have released regarding this. Maybe @David Harper CFA FRM or @Nicole Seaman would be the best persons to assist.

In KL we had a digital projector Showtime the time

drewmanfsu

Hi David,

Regardless of whether or not there were mistakes on previous GARP practice tests/exams, I simply meant that BT did not have us practice how to calculate CVA charges [(1-RR)(EE)(PD)(DF)] on any of the BT practice tests. and the only place I had seen or practiced the question setup was from previous GARP practice exams (2012-2015, I can’t remember) So regardless of whether their calcs in practice exams were correct, GARP seems to have demonstrated an importance on the concepts —> and maybe something to add to BT going forward. This is the 2nd GARP exam I’ve taken (after FRM 1) where they have re asked questions that look VERY SIMILAR to the practice questions they release over the years

While thinking of it, GARP also asked some convuluted exposure type questions where several counter parties are involved facing each other with different credit exposures, and it was asked to identify the risks and/or how to hedge. I think questions of this nature would be a huge benefit for understanding to future FRM 2 test takers

Hi @drewmanfsu Thank you for very helpful feedback. Question: what do you mean by "old garp" with respect to CVA? (because we had to explain why their first approach was wrong https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/garp-2017-p2-76.10344/). Just trying to understand where is the example of a good CVA question .... Generally with respect to their old exams, we've mostly contributed dozens of errors contributed by our members. Your sort of the first person to suggest that we should mine older practice exams which are known to be plagued with problems. (Don't get me wrong the 2018 Practice Exams are much improved but they are the beneficiary of years of edits/corrections). Thanks,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @drewmanfsu Oh I see. But we have always incorporated the concepts (if not the mistakes or confusions) embedded in GARP's previous Practice Exams! Importantly, GARP has never published other questions: neither previous actual questions, nor originally written questions ("embedded") associated with the readings. My view is that they have plenty of budget for both: fresh Practice Exams plus some embedded questions. (Each authors own end of chapter questions, as you probably know, vary significantly in quality and/or relevance; e.g., Diebold's EOC questions are high quality but somewhat inaccessible, while on the other hand, Jorion's or Meissner's EOC questions are not hard enough). Hence the significance of their Practice Exams.

The CVA question is included in our interactive quiz, see 713.3 https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...les-and-credit-value-adjustment-ccr-cva.10622
... this is pretty much a direct adaptation of the same CVA question found in the practice exam. At the end of the question, I even wrote: "Note: this question is inspired by GARP's 2017 P2 Practice Exam Question #76."
... it appears in our quiz, or topic review, precisely because it is located in the Practice Exam and we deem it might have special significance
... between topic reviews and/or interactive quizzes, we've attempted to include adaptations of almost anything we find in GARP's Practice Exams

I do very much appreciate your feedback because the broader theme is important: as an EPP, we want to write relevant questions, but GARP needs to help us with what I have termed prospective clarity. Unless/until actual exam questions are shared, our realistic roadmap is limited to: learning objectives (study guide), and their practice exams. If they are asking about "some convuluted exposure type questions where several counter parties are involved facing each other with different credit exposures," as an EPP we need help understanding, especially if the questions deviates from a learning objective. There are a lot of sub-issues, which I have already raised with GARP, including but not limited to:
  • The learning objectives need to be precise and, in some cases, should be streamlined. Gregory, for example, who is assigned here (CVA) is just over-assigned: to cover all of the LOs is, by definition, to fail to give candidates strong direction in where they should focus. There are so many LOs in Gregory that the vast majority cannot be tested. I don't blame you for not noticing this particular CVA question! We have many CVA questions, as there are almost ten CVA LOs, and many more CVA-related LOs. Over-assigned.
  • Recency is an issue I have raised: if we go back in time, depending, on the topic, we experience author and/or version madness; e.g., Gregory changed his CVA formula between 2nd and 3rd edition. The further back in time we go for a reference, the greater are the odds that a book chapter has been switched or issued a new edition in the meantime. For what it's worth!

Last edited:

Elmin367

Difficult one. I opt for the answer SMA not being able to capture instantaneous changes in the operational risk profile.
Was it the same questions where one of the options was that it doesn't reflect any risky activity the bank might take?

Kullado

I thought a jump represents a volatility smile (Heavy right tail and heavy left tail)! a frown is light left and light right tail.. which one was the correct answer?

Last edited:

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
I thought a jump represents a volatility smile (Heavy right tail and heavy left tail)! a frown is light left and light right tail.. which one was the correct answer?

The wording is important. In general, jumps suggest an volatility smile; this is hopefully intuitive, a greater probability of big move suggests heavier-than-lognormal tails. However, the confusion arises because a binomial (e.g., bimodal) distribution tends to have lighter tails and therefore suggests a frown; this is per Hulls 20.8, but his example is a bimodal distribution (his bimodal example concerns a "single large jump" which is different than a general jump risk model), not the situation when there are jumps in the underlying asset price (a binomial distribution with p in the neighborhood of 0.50 +/- 0.10 has kurtosis < 3).

In this way, "jump risk" suggests a volatility smile (not frown). See https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/vol-frown-jumps-in-underlying-asset.10256/#post-59508 but also Hull's EOC question 20.3:
Hull EOC Problem 20.3: What volatility smile is likely to be caused by jumps in the underlying asset price? Is the pattern likely to be more pronounced for a two-year option than for a three-month option?

Answer: Jumps tend to make both tails of the stock price distribution heavier than those of the lognormal distribution. This creates a volatility smile similar to that in Figure 20.1 [i.e., volatility smile typical for foreign currency options]. The volatility smile is likely to be more pronounced for the three-month option

Bottom line (in my humble opinion): "jumps" is far more likely to suggest smile than frown because for a frown (i) the question would need to be explicit about the bimodial/mixture nature of the distribution and (ii) the smile should be more intuitive, anyway, right? Jump risk suggests heavier tails and therefore smile.

Last edited: