2016: Part 1 New and Updated Published Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

seidu

Hi @Nicole Manley, wondering if here is the best place to post this (but posting anyway!!)? I have realized there are some new readings in the AIMS which have not been updated in the study planner but no signal (like to be updated,) at least for members to know about. I guess not every member follow the AIMS while studying and might not pay attention to that!!
Please see below the AIMS for valuation in blue which is not incorporated in the pdf.

upload_2016-6-25_12-32-56.png

Thanks.

hellohi

hello @David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Manley

I just studied two chapter of John Gregory and I was surprised that there are only three questions for each chapter, and the rest chapters of Gregory the same, I think it is not enough to put only three questions in the questions set, so where can I get more questions related to Gregory chapters? and as you remeber I mentioned in the last time that there is no videos for Gregory chapters too?

best regards,
Nabil

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
hello @David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Manley

I just studied two chapter of John Gregory and I was surprised that there are only three questions for each chapter, and the rest chapters of Gregory the same, I think it is not enough to put only three questions in the questions set, so where can I get more questions related to Gregory chapters? and as you remeber I mentioned in the last time that there is no videos for Gregory chapters too?

best regards,
Nabil
@hellohi

This was a new reading for 2016. We published practice questions to cover the learning objectives and completed a full set of questions for this specific reading. There are 84 readings in the curriculum this year, which means there are A LOT of new materials that need to be prepared and published. We focus on the QUALITY of our materials and not the quantity. David writes every practice question himself so they are unique and in-depth questions that you will not find anywhere else. You will find that most readings that have been carried over through the years will have many practice questions. I also answered your question regarding the Gregory instructional video in your other post. Please make sure to look at the links that I provided in your other post, as they answer the questions that you have asked.

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Manley, wondering if here is the best place to post this (but posting anyway!!)? I have realized there are some new readings in the AIMS which have not been updated in the study planner but no signal (like to be updated,) at least for members to know about. I guess not every member follow the AIMS while studying and might not pay attention to that!!
Please see below the AIMS for valuation in blue which is not incorporated in the pdf.

View attachment 666

Thanks.
Hello @seidu

Please see our announcement in the forum HERE, which states that we keep very close track of the learning objectives in the study planner, and we are aware of which ones need to be updated. We analyze the new learning objectives every single year, and post our analysis HERE. It is very important to follow the learning objectives in the curriculum, as those are the concepts that GARP will be testing each year. We work very hard throughout the exam period to publish new and updated materials, but we do not guarantee that every single reading will be completely updated, as this would compromise our high quality standards. We focus more on the quality of our materials and not the quantity. You can also see our FAQ page HERE and HERE which explains why you may not find a full set of materials (notes, practice questions, instructional videos and spreadsheets) for every single reading. Please note that there is a "coming soon" label for many of the materials that have not been published in the study planner.

Thank you,

Nicole

hellohi

dear @Nicole Manley

is Reading 30: Damodaran part of FRM part 1 material? I finished studying financial markets&products topic and did not see this reading in your notes and in the original books?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
dear @Nicole Manley

is Reading 30: Damodaran part of FRM part 1 material? I finished studying financial markets&products topic and did not see this reading in your notes and in the original books?
Hello @hellohi

Yes, Damodaran is in Part 1 of the curriculum. You can view the GARP curriculum HERE to see which readings are included in Part 1. As noted HERE in the forum, if something is not in the study planner, it means that we have not published it yet. We just published the question set for Damodaran in the study planner and we are working on the study notes. I will update the list in this thread as soon as the study notes are published.

Thank you,

Nicole

hellohi

Hello @hellohi

Yes, Damodaran is in Part 1 of the curriculum. You can view the GARP curriculum HERE to see which readings are included in Part 1. As noted HERE in the forum, if something is not in the study planner, it means that we have not published it yet. We just published the question set for Damodaran in the study planner and we are working on the study notes. I will update the list in this thread as soon as the study notes are published.

Thank you,

Nicole
but I think you should put Damodaran under Valuation and Risk Models instead of Financial Markets and Products
thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @surojitpalb No, not exactly. The 2016 syllabus (ie, study guide and learning outcomes) is the same for the May 2016 and Nov 2016 exams. The exam does not change from May to November. Approximately in mid-October or maybe a bit later, GARP will release the 2017 Study Guide which will be the assignment for May 2017 and November 2017 (it will not change from May to November 2017). So it changes once every calendar year, with the change occurring between Nov and May, but announced before Nov (largely at the request of providers like us who repeatedly asked to see the changes as early as possible). I hope that clarifies. Thanks,

surojitpalb

Hi @surojitpalb No, not exactly. The 2016 syllabus (ie, study guide and learning outcomes) is the same for the May 2016 and Nov 2016 exams. The exam does not change from May to November. Approximately in mid-October or maybe a bit later, GARP will release the 2017 Study Guide which will be the assignment for May 2017 and November 2017 (it will not change from May to November 2017). So it changes once every calendar year, with the change occurring between Nov and May, but announced before Nov (largely at the request of providers like us who repeatedly asked to see the changes as early as possible). I hope that clarifies. Thanks,
Clarified. Thanks. I am new here and BT is helping me a lot

rajivpro

Suggestion:
@Nicole Manley & @David Harper CFA FRM: A small suggestion from my end regarding the updates to the study planner. I have downloaded Hull instructional videos & question sets for Financial Markets & Products. I now see "New" against all the four topic areas of Part 1. When I drill down further topic wise, I noticed that there has been an update to the instructional video (Chapter 1 & 2 of Hull) & the question set. I understand the instructional video was updated after I pointed out to Nicole that it does not play after a certain timeline. However I am not aware what has been updated in the question set & more importantly when it got updated. For someone like me who likes to download the materials & read in offline mode, it becomes difficult to keep a track & download the same stuff again.

I know @Nicole Manley is going to hate me for suggesting this :D (considering she already has a lot on her plate as far as keeping the site organized is concerned) but it would be great if members receive a notification via email as to what has been changed in a particular topic area and when exactly the change took place. This would help in avoiding duplication as far as the material download is concerned. Also it will be very helpful if the date when a particular topic got updated is mentioned on top of the page.
Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Suggestion:
@Nicole Manley & @David Harper CFA FRM: A small suggestion from my end regarding the updates to the study planner. I have downloaded Hull instructional videos & question sets for Financial Markets & Products. I now see "New" against all the four topic areas of Part 1. When I drill down further topic wise, I noticed that there has been an update to the instructional video (Chapter 1 & 2 of Hull) & the question set. I understand the instructional video was updated after I pointed out to Nicole that it does not play after a certain timeline. However I am not aware what has been updated in the question set & more importantly when it got updated. For someone like me who likes to download the materials & read in offline mode, it becomes difficult to keep a track & download the same stuff again.

I know @Nicole Manley is going to hate me for suggesting this :D (considering she already has a lot on her plate as far as keeping the site organized is concerned) but it would be great if members receive a notification via email as to what has been changed in a particular topic area and when exactly the change took place. This would help in avoiding duplication as far as the material download is concerned. Also it will be very helpful if the date when a particular topic got updated is mentioned on top of the page.
Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Rajiv
Hello @rajivpro

Thank you for your suggestion. This has been discussed at length before, and it is the reason that we started this particular forum thread. Whenever a set of materials is added or if it has been edited, I always post it in this thread to show the date that it was updated. For example, when we add new practice questions to a set that is already published, I add it to this list to show that the pdf has been updated. Regarding the Hull practice question set that you mentioned, I fixed one small error in the pdf that was noted in the forum HERE. I apologize that I did not add that to the list above. Nothing else changed in that document.

Regarding your comment that I will hate you, I don't ever hate anyone for giving their suggestions. ;) Unfortunately, it is just not feasible at this time for us to send an email out for every change that we make to the study planner. I try to keep everyone as updated as possible, as I know it is not always easy to follow the updates. I will continue to update this thread and the other thread for Part 2 whenever there are materials updated, and I will try to post exactly what has been updated to make it easier.

Thank you,

Nicole

rajivpro

Hi @Nicole Manley,

Thanks for your reply. I know you are doing an amazing job managing the site & keeping everything updated. I must add it's not an easy task to do so. Keep up the great effort! Btw my comment on you hating me for giving suggestions was in good fun :D

Rajiv

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Update: Just wanted to note that all of the Global Topic Review PQ sets have been published. I've also noted any updates that were made on documents that were already published in red.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Linghan Yes, at approx 03:40 UTC (11:40 EST) the site crashed due to unusually heavy traffic. We were down for 9 to 10 minutes; we have crashed before, but usually LiquidWeb gets us back within 3 minutes, so this was above-average downtime. We have our own high-end dedicated server and they are investigating. As usual, we'll follow their recommendations if needed (eg, increase capacity) to try to prevent this sort of thing. Thanks for your patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.