sitcky strike rule

wufuheng1979

In handbook P409, it says sticky strike is "the curve does not change", but why "the ISD drops from 18 to 17.5" as the strike is still 100???

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
hi wufu,

that figure 17.4 is arguably confusing. The handbook is trying to illustrate a scenario where the stock price shifts from $100 to $110, and the issue is, what happens to the ISD of an option with a strike (K) of $110?
  • under sticky moneyness, as S increases from 100 to 110, an option with K = $110 moves from OTM to ATM, and its implied volatility "remains" at 18% because ATM options previously has ISD = 18%
  • under sticky strike, as S increases from 100 to 100, option with K = 110 moves from OTM to ATM, but its implied volatility "drops" from 18% (when it was OTM) to 17.6% (when it is now ATM)

Tipo

Subscriber
hi wufu,

that figure 17.4 is arguably confusing. The handbook is trying to illustrate a scenario where the stock price shifts from $100 to $110, and the issue is, what happens to the ISD of an option with a strike (K) of $110?
  • under sticky moneyness, as S increases from 100 to 110, an option with K = $110 moves from OTM to ATM, and its implied volatility "remains" at 18% because ATM options previously has ISD = 18%
  • under sticky strike, as S increases from 100 to 100, option with K = 110 moves from OTM to ATM, but its implied volatility "drops" from 18% (when it was OTM) to 17.6% (when it is now ATM)

Im abit confused and i dont have the text but this is taken from BT notes pg 13 R41.P2.T5.Hull_Ch19_v5

• Sticky Strike rule: implied volatility of an option remains constant from one day to the next
• Sticky Delta rule: relationship between an option price and the ratio stock-to-strike (S/K) is constant

From what i understand, sticky delta=sticky moneyness
How does this tally with the example given in your post?

Thanks!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Tipo

My post above may be confusing (or even wrong) as I was trying to interpret the FRM handbook explanation (on page 410), but yes, I agree with you that "sticky delta" = "sticky moneyness"

Here is how I look at this: assume today's spot price is $100, S(0) = $100 and the implied volatility of an ATM option, K = 100, is 20.0%. Now imagine that tomorrow the stock price jumps to $110:

1. What is the implied volatility of an option struck tomorrow at K = 100; i.e., ATM?
  • If it is unchanged at 20.0%, then sticky money (aka, sticky delta) applies because the implied vol of 20.0% was "sticky" to the money-ness which remains zero; but this requires that the curve shift to the right (consistent with shift in FRM Handbook Figure 17.4)
  • If it reduces to something lower, although tomorrow this option will still be ATM (ie, S = 110, K = 100), then sticky strike rule is implied and the implied vol curve--because its axis is the strike price not the asset price--did not shift.
2. And we can ask what happens to today's option which still has a strike price of 100 (ignoring that the maturity shortened by a day). This option has shifted from ATM to a ITM call or OTM put (by $10)
  • if this ITM call/OTM put retains its implied vol of 20.0%, then sticky strike applies: this option is now $10 ITM or OTM but the curve did not shift (and it represents a point on the curve which is not longer the local minimum!). In this case, this option's moneyness changed but it's implied volatility did not, so it's NOT stick money.
  • If this ITM call/OTM put sees an increase in its implied vol (assuming a typical equity skew), then this must be sticky moneyness: the curve shifted such that, given the same $100 strike (x axis) the corresponding implied vol is higher. Put another way, this is sticky money: the option shifted from ATM to in or out of the money (money changed), so implied vol changed.

Last edited: