FAQ After Exam Questions about work experience

amitpthk6

Hi,

I have experience as Credit manager of unsecured loan for a reputed bank, which include underwriting of personal loan and credit card for retail segment, will it be counted for FRM certification?

Thanks

Amit

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi,

I have experience as Credit manager of unsecured loan for a reputed bank, which include underwriting of personal loan and credit card for retail segment, will it be counted for FRM certification?

Thanks

Amit
Hello @amitpthk6

Please note that I moved your post to this thread that already discusses work experience. Unfortunately, GARP is the only one that can provide you with an accurate answer as to whether your work experience would be approved or not. You may be able to find others who have posted in this thread with the same experience, but you will want to contact GARP to be sure.

Energyguy

Hi,
I was initially interested in the ERP certificate, but I noticed that exams have been discontinued. In consequence, I am now considering to take the FRM, and I have already registered to take SCR.

I am currently an international consultant focused on risks (both regulatory, financial, political and operational) for the energy sector, including the valuation of energy assets highly exposed to regulation and scenario building. Previously I have been a senior official of Energy Planning in my country and before that worked in the office of project and policy assessment for 3 years, so my job in the public sector has been largely focused on assessing projects for public investment in infrastructure and energy policy.

So, my questions are:

1) I am aware that my experience might best fit in the ERP certificate, but since it has been discontinued, do you think that it would qualify?
2) Is public sector and independent consultancy elegible as experience?

Please note that I have already contacted GARP on this, but I have not received a response yet.

Thanks!

Nikhil B

Hi,
I am working in an American Multinational Bank in FP&A profile. Not sure if the role is related to risk domain, Could you please advise if FP&A role will be considered as relevant work-ex for FRM charter.

cj2007

I am thinking about taking the FRM but had a question around the experience requirement. Does the two years need to be in one role or could you use two different jobs? Also Would Credit Analyst(Commercial) and Auditor (Financial Services) likely be accepted?

shivanin

Hi ALL,

Is there any specific format or expected content by GARP when you submit the experience letter? Does it have to specify that you worked in field of Risk Management specifically.

If anyone can share their letter (blurring their personal details) it will be of great help.

Thanks,
SAN

kruti

Hi,

What if GARP reject's the work experience? Can I submit it again? I do not have specific experience in risk management. Should I submit my work experience anyway?

tusharblbohra

I passed FRM part 2 in the January 2021 attempt. I currently am a junior year undergrad student. Due to my inclination towards research, and academics I've been planning to go for a doctorate position after graduation in June 2022. I had this query regarding work experience. Do the position of research scholar (or other posts in a doctorate position) considered in the mandatory work experience for the charter? I will be applying for Ph.D. roles in the upcoming semester focussing on risk, finance, and financial economics.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
I passed FRM part 2 in the January 2021 attempt. I currently am a junior year undergrad student. Due to my inclination towards research, and academics I've been planning to go for a doctorate position after graduation in June 2022. I had this query regarding work experience. Do the position of research scholar (or other posts in a doctorate position) considered in the mandatory work experience for the charter? I will be applying for Ph.D. roles in the upcoming semester focussing on risk, finance, and financial economics.
Hello @tusharblbohra

Please note that I moved your post to this work experience thread. There are 5 pages of discussion in this thread, so you may find that your question has already been answered after reading through all of the posts.

wookan06

Subscriber
Hi ! I lecture on economics, banking and financial markets courses in a university. I am considering to pursue FRM and I had had a look at the syllabus. It intrigues me. But I have a question - do academic experiences qualify for the certification?

Kashyap R

Hi @David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Seaman ,
I am currently doing an internship in forex trading. They are offering to convert me to full time role. My job would entail taking trades on behalf of clients and providing investment guidance to clients specifically in forex. I would like to know if this would count as work experience for the charter so that I can decide whether or not to take up the full time role.

cschro

Hi all,

hope this is in the right topic.

I was wondering if anybody knew of anybody or heard of anybody successfully qualifying independent, privately (self) owned and managed accounting/consulting firm work experience for the FRM. Primarily related to tax, small business accounting+bookkeeping, and financial advising (virtual CFO).

Arguably, the above does involve quantitative financial risk management related to cash, liquidity, operational, market (systemic), and enterprise risks related to both (1) firm and (2) respective clients affairs’ management/advice.

Disregarding the possibility of work experience outside of private practice, there is the possibility of the practice expanding to investment (personal /corporate/institutional) advisory services eventually (T: 3-5+ years).

thoughts would be much appreciated.

FYI- all of the above is hypothetical. I would prefer to discuss the above scenario, not so much about entirely different scenarios.

SaiNaveen

Hi @Nicole Seaman, @David Harper CFA FRM

I am willing to give my FRM level 1 exam in Nov 2021, preparing for the same, However i am confused if my work experience as a Software Engineer in one of the largest Investment banking counts towards the Relevant work Experience for FRM .

My day to day job activities as Software Engineer includes working in a Risk Management system for Equity Derivatives.
It involves overlooking and managing Trade LifeCycle and Processing to various Downstream Systems for Settlement, Regulatory reporting, Accounting and other Risk Calculations for the firm.
We process the Trade and Valuation data of Derivative Products to the above mentioned systems.

Does this Experience qualify as Required work experience to obtain FRM certification? It would be great if you guys can help in getting some clarification around my confusion this Work experience

Thanks in Advance

thanhtam92

For the work experience submission, do we just add the most recent job title? or we can anything relevant over the past 5 years? Also, regarding the job description, do we put in the company-posted job description or your actual work projects/experiences?

VegaHedge

When inserting the "End Date" of our work experience when adding a position, do I have to simply put the current date? It does not give me the option to state "until today" or "present"...

LucreziaB

When inserting the "End Date" of our work experience when adding a position, do I have to simply put the current date? It does not give me the option to state "until today" or "present"...
I noticed that too. I don’t think it’ll count against you but you could always put a note at the top of the free text clarifying that.

Chanspace

Hi,
I worked for 5 years in Standard Chartered as Operational Risk Manager in FMO ( Financial Market Operations) for Middle Office of Derivatives Ops where I dealt with identifying, assessing, monitoring the operational risks and recommend controls to operations to mitigate those risks.
Please could anyone let me know if my work experience qualifies as relevant experience for FRM certification after I take both Part 1& 2 of exams.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Chanspace As we're not GARP, we're not really supposed (allowed) to say. But you were an Operational Risk Manager! It's going to qualify. Please don't quote me, but it definitely qualifies. If an actual Operational Risk Manager didn't qualify, then a lot of far more borderline cases wouldn't qualify. You have highly relevant, legit experience. You will not need to worry about the experience :) I hope that's helpful!