PLEASE READ: Publishing Process for 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
The 2022 FRM GARP curriculum has been released! It is very important for you to read this entire post! :)

Although GARP did not make many changes to the curriculum for 2022, we still need to ask that our members are patient when it comes to the updated materials. We still have a great deal of work to do to get the study planner updated to reflect any changes that we did not get to in 2021. As with previous years, we will continue to add new and updated materials throughout the exam year. You can study the materials that are currently published, as they are all relevant to the 2022 curriculum.

Curriculum Change Spreadsheet: For reference, here is our spreadsheet that shows the changes that were made to the curriculum in 2022: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2021-2022-curriculum-change-analysis-spreadsheets.24091/.

We ask all of our users to please refrain from asking when specific materials will be published, as each time we have to answer this status update question, it takes valuable time away from our preparation. We appreciate your patience during this busy time. We want to make sure our subscribers have the most up-to-date, quality materials possible!

It is very important that we point out that we have never guaranteed that every single reading and chapter in the study planner will have a full set of materials (i.e., study notes, PQ set, instructional video, and learning spreadsheet). We publish according to perceived priority, and we will not sacrifice the quality of our materials just to make sure our study planner is filled in with no gaps in materials.

You can view the list of updated materials here throughout the exam period:

Please see below to learn more about our publishing process, and why you may not see some materials published.
  • Do you publish materials for every single reading in the GARP curriculum? Bionic Turtle places the integrity and quality of our materials at the forefront of our Financial Risk Management (FRM) exam study products.
Our study packages, including study notes, practice questions, mock exams, instructional videos, spreadsheets, and more are comprehensive and inclusive of the most important elements of the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP) curriculum. However, there will always be minor material gaps when updates are made, as it would be nearly impossible to include information for every single reading. We publish new materials according to perceived priority. Our staff also provides as many updated materials as possible. Certain materials have every reading in the curriculum. Other readings do not include an entire set of materials.​

• Why are some of the materials missing in the study planner but are in the GARP curriculum? Bionic Turtle publishes the latest curriculum updates from the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP), but they do take time. Additionally, certain resources that correspond with the Financial Risk Management (FRM) readings may or may not be included.
Our team has comprehensive knowledge of the syllabus and the most important information you need to pass the FRM exam. While we appreciate your feedback, we ask that you refrain from emailing us about missing resources for this reason. If you would like to discuss any items that are not included, feel free to do so on our Forum.​

Our Materials Focus on Quality and Integrity
We ensure that the comprehension of our study products remains intact with every update that is or isn’t made to our materials.​
There are five main reasons we do not include every reading found in the syllabus:​
  • The GARP FRM syllabus is not a rigorous, fixed map of the exam. It contains more concepts than can possibly be tested.
  • GARP emphasizes knowledge points and key concepts. This mirrors the FRM exam Learning Objectives and the assigned readings support this.
  • The exam is practice-oriented. Actual exam questions originate from practitioners not from the readings. They are subsequently vetted against the readings.
  • The reading list changes every year. We believe “chasing” every new reading is unnecessary, as some readings have historically appeared only once on the syllabus, were not on the exam, and were then dropped the following year.
  • Some topics are too dense and won’t be used. Many readings contain some details which are not relevant to the exam.
Thank you all for using Bionic Turtle, and we wish you luck in your studies!!

Last edited:

yumengchao

Hi @Nicole Seaman, I'm sitting for the May 2022 Part II exam and I've been reading through Bionic Turtle's material. However, I'd like to confirm the following:
  1. Chapters without study notes -- I have at least 10 chapters without study notes but only practice questions available, but I believe that I've read in other treads that those study notes do exist and are available. To provide a bit more context, I'm missing the study notes for all but one chapters in Current Issues, a few from other topics. Can you please assist me?
  2. Optional Readings -- Many chapters in Operational Risk section are marked as optional, would I manage the exam without any problems if I don't go through them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 26

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman, I'm sitting for the May 2022 Part II exam and I've been reading through Bionic Turtle's material. However, I'd like to confirm the following:
  1. Chapters without study notes -- I have at least 10 chapters without study notes but only practice questions available, but I believe that I've read in other treads that those study notes do exist and are available. To provide a bit more context, I'm missing the study notes for all but one chapters in Current Issues, a few from other topics. Can you please assist me?
  2. Optional Readings -- Many chapters in Operational Risk section are marked as optional, would I manage the exam without any problems if I don't go through them?

Thanks!
Hello @yumengchao Our forum search function is very useful for these types of questions because many times you will find that they have already been answered. I've moved your post to this thread, which provides information on our publishing process and answers the question about why there may not be specific materials published yet. Regarding your second question about the Optional Readings, please see these two forum threads for answers:

ppodles

1645656919148.png
Hi, i have subscription for a while but have not had a chance to download part II mock exam. Would you be able to publish/send me 2021 mock exam ? it does not seems to be available.

MDzaf6699

Hello good people !

I have just recently purchased the BT subscription to hopefully nail the FRM (haven't we all)!
However, just upon beginning to study - I decided to kick of my studies with Quantitative Analysis first - I am a bit confused.

I've done a lot of reading on how the studies should be approached (some say videos are sufficient, some say BT notes are sufficient, other say combine the two, some recommend supplementing it with GARP textbooks etc.) However, it is my understanding that the BT notes SHOULD contain all of the content BT had envisioned to cover with students, while the instructional videos should serve as either a "quick summary" or a "better explanation of some concepts" - depending on what one seeks.

Consequently, I expected everything from the BT notes to also be in the instructional videos, but not vice versa, and if vice versa should prove to be the case, than the videos certainly shouldn't contain Learning Objectives that the BT notes DO NOT contain.

Here are a few examples of only T2-QA-1:
Learning objectives and thereby teaching content found in the BT notes but not videos:
1. Describe an event and an event space
2. Define and distinguish between pdf, CDF and inverse CDF
3. Difference between independent and conditionally independent events

Again, no words on the above in the instructional videos, however, the following are in the videos but NOT in the notes:
1. Describe and distinguish between continuous and discrete random variables

Now obviously, all of the above is important, but come studying time, what should I focus on more, which resource?
I'm assuming that because BT notes are the standard package, videos being optional and charged additionally, I should be good with just the notes?

Thanks very much for everyone's help, I really appreciate it !
Have a great day !

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello good people !

I have just recently purchased the BT subscription to hopefully nail the FRM (haven't we all)!
However, just upon beginning to study - I decided to kick of my studies with Quantitative Analysis first - I am a bit confused.

I've done a lot of reading on how the studies should be approached (some say videos are sufficient, some say BT notes are sufficient, other say combine the two, some recommend supplementing it with GARP textbooks etc.) However, it is my understanding that the BT notes SHOULD contain all of the content BT had envisioned to cover with students, while the instructional videos should serve as either a "quick summary" or a "better explanation of some concepts" - depending on what one seeks.

Consequently, I expected everything from the BT notes to also be in the instructional videos, but not vice versa, and if vice versa should prove to be the case, than the videos certainly shouldn't contain Learning Objectives that the BT notes DO NOT contain.

Here are a few examples of only T2-QA-1:
Learning objectives and thereby teaching content found in the BT notes but not videos:
1. Describe an event and an event space
3. Difference between independent and conditionally independent events

Again, no words on the above in the instructional videos, however, the following are in the videos but NOT in the notes:
1. Describe and distinguish between continuous and discrete random variables

Now obviously, all of the above is important, but come studying time, what should I focus on more, which resource?
I'm assuming that because BT notes are the standard package, videos being optional and charged additionally, I should be good with just the notes?

Thanks very much for everyone's help, I really appreciate it !
Have a great day !
@MDzaf6699 I moved your post to this thread, which explains our publishing process. We are continuing to update the videos to add any learning objectives that GARP added to the curriculum. This takes a lot of time, so we are not able to update all of the materials at once. We update materials throughout the exam period. The instructional videos that are currently published are relevant even if they may not include all of the learning objectives.

bollengc

Thanks!
the readings for the current issue section can be downloaded directly from GARP's website. (https://www.garp.org/frm/readings/required)
(please refer as well to that post: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...hing-process-for-2020.22937/page-6#post-84360)
thanks

Mezzala95

Hi all,

Wondering if there are study notes not yet published for the below three topics which are part of Op risk for FRM P2.

1646779384256.png

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Mezzala95 In addition to David's comment, I've moved your post to this thread, which will explain further why some readings may not have specific materials published.

Rblc

@David Harper CFA FRM @Nicole Seaman - I don't know if this is the right place to say it but thank you so much for having provided such a digestible summary of De Laurentis book for P2 . It was driving me crazy. I don't know how you guys managed to get past page 10 and make it so understandable but thank you so much !

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Geez thank you @Rblc I need to review what we did for De Laurentis because I'm on record that it's my "least favorite" reading in P2, and maybe ever selected for the FRM. I think it's a total mess. To be candid, I'm still hoping to improve those notes when we have time, given the source is so bad, but thank you for the compliment!

Torsleno

Hello,

Anybody know id the chapter

Malz, Chapter 12: Liquidity and Leverage​

have study notes? Seems there are only the videos, question set and a learning spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

Anybody know id the chapter

Malz, Chapter 12: Liquidity and Leverage​

have study notes? Seems there are only the videos, question set and a learning spreadsheet.

Thanks!
Hello @Torsleno I've moved your post to this thread, which explains why some materials may not be published yet. Thank you.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi BT,

Just wondering if there are meant to be any study notes available for LR, Ch 12: Liquidity and Leverage?
@Mezzala95 I've moved your post to this thread, which discusses our publishing process. This question was already asked one of the comments above. We will have a set of notes for this reading, but we are not able to provide a specific date for when they will be published. Please make sure to read the original post in this thread to learn more about our publishing process. Thank you.

joycetcz

Hi all, im new to BT. Saw announcements on updated materials. Do they get updated in the my course study plan for the notes n videos? asking as i dont see the instructional video below and cant locate it. @Nicole Seaman

Many thanks
Joyce

MR-6 (R3) Messages from the Academic Literature on Risk Measurement for the Trading Book
  • New instructional video published 04/28/22

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi all, im new to BT. Saw announcements on updated materials. Do they get updated in the my course study plan for the notes n videos? asking as i dont see the instructional video below and cant locate it. @Nicole Seaman

Many thanks
Joyce

MR-6 (R3) Messages from the Academic Literature on Risk Measurement for the Trading Book
  • New instructional video published 04/28/22
@joycetcz Please check again and let me know if you can see the video that was published. There was a setting that was not updated in the Advanced Part 2 study planner so it was not showing up. I appreciate you pointing this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.