Exam Feedback November 2017 Part 2 Exam Feedback

brianfpegg

Hey everyone, I've been browsing without creating an account until now (after I already passed the exams). I wanted to share my result because I thought it was particularly interesting.

I scored 33143 and passed! I haven't seen anyone with worse quartiles and who passed.

Making the assumption that I scored at the top of each of the quartiles I was in, the max percentile I could've been in was 58.75%. GARP posted the pass rate as 51.9%. This means I must have been somewhere between the 51.9th and 58.75th percentiles, a quite small range.

The biggest issue with this is GARP gives no way to determine actual score required on the exam, only number of people above or below your score.

Section..........Quartile.......Max %.....Weight
Market.....................3..................50%..............25%
Credit.......................3..................50%..............25%
Operation................1.................100%..............25%
Investment..............4..................25%..............15%
Current Issues.........3..................50%..............10%
Total...............58.75%

I am 'STILL' waiting for any notification letter from GARP after submitting my work experience on 3 Jan. I anticipate to terminate this journey soon. Patience is a virtue.
End of another week and still nothing.

I called GARP. All they would tell me is that my experience "hadn't been reviewed yet" and would be reviewed in time for the March certificate distribution. So in theory, we may have up to six to eight weeks to wait although hopefully it will be less.

I am not sure anyone has been certified this week (certainly no one on this forum claims to have been) which gives credence to this idea that whoever at GARP has this task is not in the office, either on vacation or sick.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber

I called GARP. All they would tell me is that my experience "hadn't been reviewed yet" and would be reviewed in time for the March certificate distribution. So in theory, we may have up to six to eight weeks to wait although hopefully it will be less.

I am not sure anyone has been certified this week (certainly no one on this forum claims to have been) which gives credence to this idea that whoever at GARP has this task is not in the office, either on vacation or sick.
Hello @sparkmeister

Yes, GARP has always stated that it can take 6 to 8 weeks to be certified after they receive your work experience. We certainly hope that it does not take that long, but we also know that many people take the FRM exam, and it takes a great deal of time to go through every single person's work experience in order to get them certified. We hope you receive it soon :)

Nicole

zforce

In 2013, there was a certain person who spent about 8 weeks in order to receive an official message from GARP although he(or she) submitted his work experience as soon as the official result released. Of course I hope not, but it might need more time to receive something than we anticipate.
Anyway, Have a nice weekend guys.

https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...-wait-for-employment-verification.6641/page-3

That sounds awful, and quite unnecessary.

I don't mind waiting my turn but right now it seems as though NO ONE is being certified, and that is frustrating.

syr1k

Certified today! I submitted experience on Jan 3rd afternoon. Does anyone know about Continuing Professional Development requirements? Is it mandatory in order to keep FRM certified?

davidhn

Congrats!!

Afternoon of which time zone if you don't mind me asking? Still nothing here so that would help us know if they are reviewing in a precise FIFO basis or if it is more random than that.

Thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @syr1k totally congrats!! Unlike the ERP, the FRM CPD is voluntary, here is the handbook https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9uzut15p2mlwx4/2017_CPD_Handbook.pdf?dl=0 see below extract from same handbook
  • For FRMs, participating in the CPD program is currently voluntary. FRMs are strongly encouraged to participate in the program in order to best maintain the value and integrity of the FRM certification for themselves and the FRM community.
  • For ERPs, participating in the CPD program is mandatory. ERPs are required to participate in the program in order to use their ERP professional designation. If you are unable to participate for personal or professional reasons, contact [email protected] at least 6 weeks prior to the end of your cycle.
  • If you are both an ERP and an FRM, participating in CPD is mandatory. You may earn credits simultaneously and CPD credits may be shared among your credentials.

Last edited:
Congrats!!

Afternoon of which time zone if you don't mind me asking? Still nothing here so that would help us know if they are reviewing in a precise FIFO basis or if it is more random than that.

Thanks

I submitted at 07:35 (morning) EST on 3 January and have heard nothing, so I think RIRO is more likely than FIFO.

Last edited:
Hi @syr1k totally congrats!! Unlike the ERP, the FRM CPD is voluntary, here is the handbook https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9uzut15p2mlwx4/2017_CPD_Handbook.pdf?dl=0 see below extract from same handbook

Plus, you have to be a paid member to have your CPD credits reviewed for approval.

I completed a CPD activity recently..., but was notified, after credit submission, that I have to renew my membership before the CPD credit can be reviewed for approval.

upload_2018-1-22_15-4-39.png

There you have it.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-22_15-4-4.png
    upload_2018-1-22_15-4-4.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 12

zforce

What is it that you think is fake? I agree, this is all taking way too long now. I know of seven people from my FRM class who have heard nothing and they all filed on 3 Jan.....
I'm in the same boat. It has been two weeks since the first verification announcements came. Frankly speaking, I cannot understand GARP's experience review policy. :confused: