Forgot to select test site

JMars7424

Hi,
Has anyone made the mistake of forgetting to select a test site? Apparently, I forgot to check on for August and now I am out of luck at least according the website.. I am trying to contact GARP to see if there is any way to fix the problem.

It seems strange to charge someone even though no exam was selected. Also, I never received a warning email.

Thanks
James

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@JMars7424 Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help with things like this because we are not directly affiliated with GARP. We can only recommend that you call GARP as soon as possible to see if they can help you to find a test site. I highly recommend calling instead of using email, as you are more likely to get this resolved more quickly.

JMars7424

@JMars7424 Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help with things like this because we are not directly affiliated with GARP. We can only recommend that you call GARP as soon as possible to see if they can help you to find a test site. I highly recommend calling instead of using email, as you are more likely to get this resolved more quickly.
Thanks for the response. I called and they didn't answer. Over email they said there is nothing they could do. Trying to get some legal advice.I do not believe reputable businesses take 600 dollars because of a technicality such no exam site was selected.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@JMars7424 I can reach out to my contact at GARP to see if there is really nothing that can be done. I'm not sure if I will get a different answer, but I will see what I can find out for you.

JMars7424

@JMars7424 I can reach out to my contact at GARP to see if there is really nothing that can be done. I'm not sure if I will get a different answer, but I will see what I can find out for you.
thank you soooo much! i really appreciate the help. this is not the first time I'm trying to clear part one either.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Thanks @Nicole Seaman if you are sending our contact an email, can you copy me? I'm troubled by this: it's a registration fee, if no exam site was selected, how can the transaction be considered complete? Thanks David

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@JMars7424 My contact at GARP responded. Unfortunately, she had the same response as they provided on the phone with you. She stated that "the instructions are clearly posted about having to choose a test site and that all candidates are automatically emailed with reminders to choose a test site after registration. They will need to re-register for the November exam."

I completely empathize with you, but unfortunately, there is nothing that we can do to help in this case. I am sorry that this has happened to you.

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
Is GARP at least going to give him a credit for the next exam, or is he just out $600?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@Sixcarbs I agree. My question is, despite the language (let's stipulate that GARP has a policy and it is well-explained: I didn't read it myself but we know they are good at CYA. Their mock PQs may bit loose, but their not their CYA language). So let's stipulate that their policy was not followed here so per their policy they can do this ....
... at the same time, if I pay $600 for a product/service, there is still some obligation (or reasonable expectation) that the transaction has been completed. For example, If I am charged $600 at target/amazon for a sofa but the I failed to select the color of the sofa (or whatever in the interface), the company cannot charge me $600 for effectively nothing. I am not a layer but a charge presumably requires a completed transaction, or threshold quid pro quo, I would think. In this case, this is a registration fee: how can a customer be charged when, apparently, no registration site was selected (agreed-upon?) such that, arguably, the registration itself was incomplete?

You pay the fee for a "registration." Is the "registration" complete without a site?

Last edited:

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
@Sixcarbs I agree. My question is, despite the language (let's stipulate that GARP has a policy and it is well-explained: I didn't read it myself but we know that are good at CYA. Their mock PQs may bit loose, but their not their CYA language). So let's stipulate that their policy was not followed here so per their policy they can do this ....
... at the same time, if I pay $600 for a product/service, there is still some obligation (or reasonable expectation) that the transaction has been completed. For example, If I am charged $600 at target/amazon for a sofa but the I failed to select the color of the sofa (or whatever in the interface), the company cannot charge me $600 for effectively nothing. I am not a layer but a charge presumably requires a completed transaction, or threshold quid pro quo, I would think. In this case, this is a registration fee: how can a customer be charged when, apparently, no registration site was selected (agreed-upon?) such that, arguably, the registration itself was incomplete?

You pay the fee for a "registration." Is the "registration" complete without a site?
It may be their rules, and it may or not be legal, but it is definitely bad business in this day and age.

On GARP's side, they should send the final warning email that says, if you do not select, we will select the closest available site to you, or something like that.

And if he registered, somewhere, there should be an open seat for him, somewhere in the world, and he should at least be offered that.

None of this is the kind of press GARP needs right now.

If I were the manager on duty, I would defer him to November for no fee, and fix this process so it never happens again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
If I were in his shoes I would:

Demand a no fee seat in the next exam.

or

Try to chargeback on my credit card, and

and if that did not work, send a demand letter from a lawyer,

and then take them to small claims court.

I would love to see Judge Judy handle this one.

JMars7424

It's like David says, it's argubly
Not a complete registration problem. Usually you complete important info when you pay, not after. I don't buy from Amazon but can leave the shipping info incomplete. Also, why do they send an email to select time right after not but with the initial checkout.

I clearly got distracted thought I had selected in

JMars7424

They send this one minute after you pay. You paid us but that's not the end of it

Attachments

• garp registration.png
    garp registration.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 8