CFA CFA or any other specific course after FRM

Tarun Kaushal

Subscriber
A Big thanks to the BT team i have completed FRM Part 2 exam in Nov 2015. I am in the banking sector in India, working as a credit analyst (large corporate credit), which includes risk analysis too.

now that FRM is over I was thinking about completing another certification. With respect to my profile, please advice is CFA would be relevant after completing FRM since CFA is more of a generic course as compared to FRM. Or should i consider other certifications like ERP etc.

Thanks.

brian.field

Subscriber
CFA is most recognized financial certification on the globe. Even if you are not looking to work in financial analysis, it is valuable! I will pursue it after passing Part II of the FRM. Good luck - I say go for it!

Last edited:

ShaktiRathore

Subscriber
Hi @DebbieM ,appearing for both FRM L2 and CFA L@ is not feasable i think, i would suggest that you should postpone either of the exam and give one exam at a time like postpone CFA L2 and clear FRM L2 first.
Thanks

brian.field

Subscriber
I agree with @ShaktiRathore - it really depends on the individual. For example, I have a friend that studied for 2 weeks and then sat for both levels of the FRM and passed both - he is an anomaly and I suspect he doesn't remember much of it.

I would focus on 1 at a time.....but primarily because I must.....I can't prepare for more in one sitting.

Brian

Deepak Chitnis

Subscriber
Hi @ShaktiRathore and @brian.field, I think you two are the best to help me out. I have some queries. I have cleared FRM part 1 in November 2015 (in 1st attempt, thanks to @David Harper CFA FRM) and headed to Part 2 in May 2016. Currently I am completing my graduation (final year of my B.com.) and also started studying for CFA level 1 December 2016. I have no professional experience (0 years experience:(, just have 4 years part time experience), I just wanted to know what kind of job should I consider which is also help me to get certified. I hope you should help me.
Thank you:)!

Deepak Chitnis

Subscriber
Hi @ShaktiRathore, Thanks for the above links, they cleared the lot of my confusion. But do you think that in current environment only the bachelors degree and FRM (and some financial modeling course) is enough to get a job for beginner?(As you are in this field for long time, I think you can help me).
Thank you:)

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Tarun Kaushal You mentioned ERP and I just wanted to chime in that I posted the webinar slides to our FB page at http://trtl.bz/1JME7i4 (I also noted that I have been surprised, candidly, at the low market penetration of the ERP). I agree with @ShaktiRathore and @brian.field about the CFA. About the CFA, I would just add: I've been a CFA for over 12 years and it truly is the gold standard, in substance and reputation. Just last night, at the gym, somebody asked me about my CFA (in casual conversation) and they were impressed that I had one. It's one of the best investments I've ever made in myself because pretty much anybody in finance is aware of the CFA and respects it. Of course, I mentioned the FRM, but as sometimes or often the case, I had to introduce/explain the FRM: many people who work in finance have either never heard of it (in my experience) or have a superficial awareness. I think it's improving but the CFA has a decades long head start, the FRM is actually doing quite well in growth by comparison but still doesn't have nearly the level of general awareness. Thanks,

Last edited:

Tarun Kaushal

Subscriber
Hi @Tarun Kaushal You mentioned ERP and I just wanted to chime in that I posted the webinar slides to our FB page at http://trtl.bz/1JME7i4 (I also noted that I have been surprised, candidly, at the low market penetration of the ERP). I agree with @ShaktiRathore and @brian.field about the CFA. About the CFA, I would just add: I've been a CFA for over 12 years and it truly is the gold standard, in substance and reputation. Just last night, at the gym, somebody asked me about my CFA (in casual conversation) and they were impressed that I had one. It's one of the best investments I've ever made in myself because pretty much anybody in finance is aware of the CFA and respects it. Thanks,
Thanks for your advice @David Harper CFA FRM ... I have decided to go for CFA now... :)

Akash chopra

@Tarun Kaushal The CFA charter can prove a big career-booster and help you advance in or attain job roles like research analyst, portfolio manager, financial strategist, investment banker and others. I advise you go for it, I have seen so many professionals who have both certification and getting success in their professional life.

Mkaim

Subscriber
One thing I always like to throw out there is that irrespective of how many degrees/charters/certifications you have, if you don't have the communication skills, or soft skills as some put it, you can only go so far. This may seem out of place in respect to this question but it's important as it's perhaps one of the toughest lessons a lot of "quants" or analytics oriented folks learn. All these charters and designations help you get in the door of some very good firms but ultimately it's your ability to deal with people that'll take you the furthest.