2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

walli26

Toronto is probably even worse than Montreal in terms of daily new cases trend. I will try to call the Exhibition place to see that they are planning to do. On their website, all indoor events in October are postponed or cancelled due to COVID.
Don't know about daily new cases but they are definitely worse in terms of their hockey team (leafs) ;)

Eustice_Langham

Personally, I am still studying until my site is impacted...but I have a question, does anybody think that at some point that with so many exam sites cancelled that GARP will simply say that there is now an insufficient number of exam sites to produce standardised results and therefore the October exam globally will not go ahead as planned?

jcorrielus09

Personally, I am still studying until my site is impacted...but I have a question, does anybody think that at some point that with so many exam sites cancelled that GARP will simply say that there is now an insufficient number of exam sites to produce standardised results and therefore the October exam globally will not go ahead as planned?

One can hope. All this uncertainty doesn't help matters.

Charlymanlangit

Out of curiosity, if the October exam pushes through for the other sites, does it mean the result will be release on Feb 2021, after every one taken their exam?
I reached out to GARP as well asking if you can still defer as I am concern about the current situation (yes HK has been recording low number of cases daily but there are still cases were no identifiable source can be traced) and they said no since it is already too late and you can only either take the exam or not show. Below is the excerpt of their response

"You may either take your scheduled exam in 24 October 2020, or choose not to take the exam(s) at all. As a reminder, should you choose not to appear to an exam, you will be marked as a "No-show" for that exam and will need to re-register for the exam after your "No-show" status is processed. Please note that when you re-register, you will only be required to submit the exam fee again. You will not forfeit the $400 USD Enrollment fee."

Based on the last three pages of this thread, I feel as if Canadians are the only people writing these exams. :p;)
Out of curiosity, if the October exam pushes through for the other sites, does it mean the result will be release on Feb 2021, after every one taken their exam?
I reached out to GARP as well asking if you can still defer as I am concern about the current situation (yes HK has been recording low number of cases daily but there are still cases were no identifiable source can be traced) and they said no since it is already too late and you can only either take the exam or not show. Below is the excerpt of their response

"You may either take your scheduled exam in 24 October 2020, or choose not to take the exam(s) at all. As a reminder, should you choose not to appear to an exam, you will be marked as a "No-show" for that exam and will need to re-register for the exam after your "No-show" status is processed. Please note that when you re-register, you will only be required to submit the exam fee again. You will not forfeit the $400 USD Enrollment fee."

Hi, my brother is taking the exam in HK. He was meant to come back here in Austria but COVID happened; flights etc.
He said that the exam will be held in "Hong Kong International Airport". Is that true or is he pulling my leg?

UsedEconomist

at this time, even people who are well prepared but reasonably concerned about risking their health would not go write the October exam. The only people who will go would be the ones who are desperate to finish off the exam and don't care about the risks. If GARP still fails 50% of this group of candidates then that will be a lot harsher than the marking standards in the past...

Charlymanlangit

Hi, my brother is taking the exam in HK. He was meant to come back here in Austria but COVID happened; flights etc.
He said that the exam will be held in "Hong Kong International Airport". Is that true or is he pulling my leg?

HI Hedwig, in GARP page it is indeed showing it will be in HK International Airport but if you download the permit it is showing Asia expo. I don't know if it is just a typo error on GARP.

1601732727680.png

anton.mahkats

Does anybody know whether all those COVID related exam extensions (from May 2020 to October 2020 and now to Jan 2021 in some instances) will extend the 4-year deadline for passing Level 2?

BoboFettertinz

Does anybody know whether all those COVID related exam extensions (from May 2020 to October 2020 and now to Jan 2021 in some instances) will extend the 4-year deadline for passing Level 2?

I would assume so. Here is what GARP posted in the October Exam FAQs after postponing May exams:
------
Will my FRM/ERP program be extended if May 2020 was my last attempt at sitting for the Part II Exam?

GARP’s certification requirement policy states that candidates must pass the FRM/ERP Exam Part II within four years of passing the FRM/ERP Exam Part I. However, due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19, GARP will extend your program for an additional year. Therefore, you will be given until May 2021 to sit and pass the Part II Exam.
------

UsedEconomist

New restrictions put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa just yesterday:
Basically if ERP and FRM candidates and proctors total more than 50 then it will not be allowed to proceed.
https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/on...trictions-amid-2nd-wave-of-covid-19-1.5129777
Banquet halls and other meeting and event facilities will have to limit capacity to 50 people per facility rather than 50 people per room, as was previously allowed, and there cannot be more than six people seated at a table.
At gyms and fitness centers, group exercise classes will be limited to 10 people and the facility must limit its overall capacity to 50 people or less.

I would assume so. Here is what GARP posted in the October Exam FAQs after postponing May exams:
------
Will my FRM/ERP program be extended if May 2020 was my last attempt at sitting for the Part II Exam?

GARP’s certification requirement policy states that candidates must pass the FRM/ERP Exam Part II within four years of passing the FRM/ERP Exam Part I. However, due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19, GARP will extend your program for an additional year. Therefore, you will be given until May 2021 to sit and pass the Part II Exam.
------

That's only IF May 2020 was your last chance to pass it. If you had 3 years left, GARP will NOT give back the 1 year lost.
What do you guys think about this rule? Do you think it's fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.