2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: OCT 6, 2020
  • KUWAIT OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • INDONESIA OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • IRELAND OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • TORONTO OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • SINGAPORE OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • MONTREAL OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY
  • LOS ANGELES OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Sjegathe

I am not saying GARP has done nothing. What I mean is that they should demonstrate their professionalism, especially in this challenging time and for being a reputable institution. We could also imagine the exponentially increasing workload, but no excuse please.. we are also studying and working hard - same as the staff members of GARP. As I replied in previous post, I appreciate the effort they made but it does not mean I appreciate the result they deliver. Pointing out the fact that GARP has poor exam arrangement is NOT a complaint, but only voice out that many of the candidates do expect a basic standard.

Regarding the CBT exam, yes, it is a good arrangement, but it seems to dissociate with the coming 2020 exams..(please correct me if I misunderstand this) Instead of shifting the focusing to future exams, can they pay more attention to resolve the current situation first?

It is hard to compare GARP to CFA institute, CFA's huge, all those charter holders pay dues, correct me if I am wrong, in order to use the designation, I don't think GARP charges a due, membership is optional. Having said that, how would you expect an institute to make arrangements overnight or in short time frame? Even CFA institute cannot make those changes, GARP is still in early stages and it usually follows suit of CFA and other well established institutes. Please note that booking a venue is not easy and if my knowledge is correct, Garp might lose money with these contracts, pretty much they are trying their best to their abilities. Administering a CBT exam is not easy either, you need to balance the quality of the exam, and it's significantly difficult to write exams for several dates, as you need to factor the standards and potential leakage of the questions. So my point was it is not easy to compare Garp to other institutes.

Having said that think of this. I think David will agree with me, if you've grabbed the concept, you don't really have to put in those hours again. For instance lot of the candidates who fail level 3 of CFA will fall in to this category in my opinion. Once Garp becomes similar in size like CFA institute, then everything will fall in place.

I looked at CFA institute earlier yesterday, level 2 and three exams are offered twice a year going forward. Think of the struggles that past CFA holders experienced, say if they had failed Level 2/Level 3, then they would have to wait another year. the landscape is changing in the investment field. The competition will be higher but candidates should be happy of the increased offerings of the exams.

I can understand the frustration from the candidates but no one foresaw this, not even the governments.

dtammerz

It makes little sense that the October 2020 exams for these locations (which were for folks originally taking the May 2020 exams) are being rescheduled to January 2021, later than the November 2020 test takers...

Sjegathe

It makes little sense that the October 2020 exams for these locations (which were for folks originally taking the May 2020 exams) are being rescheduled to January 2021, later than the November 2020 test takers...
it can change but for now yes, it reminds me of the stack and roll strategy.

I just received an email from GARP for the exam of October, which by the way I am not attending. I find their policy ridiculous. With the admission ticket, which you print 20 days in advance, you confirm that you don't have COVID (as if you can't get it afterwards!) and GARP makes you accept that you might get infected and they don't have any responsibility! More specifically the email was the following:
By clicking “Print Admission Ticket” above, you confirm the below:
  1. I do not have COVID-19 or reason to believe I have COVID-19. Symptoms of COVID-19 may include cough, fever, chills, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell.
  2. In the past 14 days, I have not come into close contact of someone who is positive for COVID-19 or has COVID-19 symptoms.
  3. To my knowledge, I am not violating any travel restrictions or quarantining requirements.
  4. I agree to wear a mask the entire time I am at the test site and follow instructions from test proctors or administrators.
  5. I understand that while measures have been taken to create a safer environment, it is not possible to remove all risk of contracting COVID-19.
By entering the examination premises I am accepting the risk of COVID-19 exposure and agree to the Release and Waiver

You can draw your own conclusions!

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Thanks Nicole.
@Sjegathe

You're welcome. I originally created this thread to provide updates on exam postponements. Since it is hard to sift through all of the conversations going on in the thread now, I am making sure to update the original post with any updates. I will do this for any announcements regarding the November exams also so you can always refer to the original post for updates from us.

firstplace

It is hard to compare GARP to CFA institute, CFA's huge, all those charter holders pay dues, correct me if I am wrong, in order to use the designation, I don't think GARP charges a due, membership is optional.

Once Garp becomes similar in size like CFA institute, then everything will fall in place.

Events like Covid can be compared to people swimming in an ocean beach. When low tide comes up, you see who is wearing shorts. Sadly, we are all finding out GARP is completely naked. As such, I don't see the value of paying membership dues. Also GARP will never be the same size of CFA, because it's simply a follower rather than leader. Most would be more comfortable when qualified by the leaders.

tylerswob

Just to give my personal estimate here, if 50ppl/building, given that roughly there will be 500 candidates (very conservative number) in Toronto, they will need to find another 9 exam sites in order to admin the exam within next 18 days. There are chances but very very unlikely I would say.

Chicago has the same limited number rule in addition to the 14 day quarantine rule before you could take the test unless you are an essential worker (which test takers likely are not.) Unless the FRM is really nowhere near as popular as the CFA and less than 50 people will be taking the test that day, I cannot see how they will meet this limitation. But who knows?

mattheweidinger

Is anyone here registered for a Montreal or Toronto NOVEMBER 2020 exam? If yes, can you share any insights from discussions you have had with the venue for your exam (if your admission ticket is available...) or communications from GARP?

I am curious to see if those exams go forth and what a delay could look like...

Sjegathe

Is anyone here registered for a Montreal or Toronto NOVEMBER 2020 exam? If yes, can you share any insights from discussions you have had with the venue for your exam (if your admission ticket is available...) or communications from GARP?

I am curious to see if those exams go forth and what a delay could look like...
No communications from Garp yet.But i am curious as to the number of candidates taking FRM exam in toronto? I am familiar with CFA exams which can be 2-3k and or even 5k if you consider all levels. But I have no idea about the number of FRM candidates, i suspect it should be around 500-600, much higher than Montreal in my opinion.

Eustice_Langham

No communications from Garp yet.But i am curious as to the number of candidates taking FRM exam in toronto? I am familiar with CFA exams which can be 2-3k and or even 5k if you consider all levels. But I have no idea about the number of FRM candidates, i suspect it should be around 500-600, much higher than Montreal in my opinion.
Interesting point, I would say that the situation in HK is potentially three fold given the last 2 exam dates have been cancelled...

firstplace

Montreal Oct 24 exam moved to Jan 21, 2021

i Just do not see it Toronto or MTL exams going through In Jan. The number of cases are getting higher and events will be even more restricted by then. You would need to see a downward trend for a month before regulations are even considered to be relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.