2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking this too, but I'm not sure what criteria is being used to decide whether to postpone the exams or not.
This is what irks me as well. I feel that at this point they should just take the hit and postpone it. Just because according to certain criteria they can technically hold the exam, doesn't mean they should, considering the worsening regulations and the safety concerns.

Lmgroves1

This is what irks me as well. I feel that at this point they should just take the hit and postpone it. Just because according to certain criteria they can technically hold the exam, doesn't mean they should, considering the worsening regulations and the safety concerns.

Yep, I agree. To be honest, I don't mind either way whether it is held in October as planned, or in January, it's just the uncertainty that is now frustrating. Difficult to stay motivated when it seems like the exam should probably not be held next week, but until we are told otherwise I suppose we need to keep studying as best we can.

vinebills

You make a very valid point.......

geofrm

Unfortunately still no updates for Amsterdam, even though it has been mentioned here that the location is not available.
What are the expectation for the exam on the 24th of October in The Netherlands? I do not see how they could still arrange and push this, but we have also not received any update. It does make it quite hard to find motivation to study.

Unfortunately still no updates for Amsterdam, even though it has been mentioned here that the location is not available.
What are the expectation for the exam on the 24th of October in The Netherlands? I do not see how they could still arrange and push this, but we have also not received any update. It does make it quite hard to find motivation to study.

Coincidentally I just called GARP about this. They (headquarters) said they weren't aware of any new developments and they couldn't update me on anything yet, informing me they know just as much as me... They let me know the Amsterdam people are probably working on evaluating the situation and I should keep an eye on the important notices page.

I e-mailed the initial location directly a couple of days before and they confirmed that the site is indeed closed down for the foreseeable future. The location let me know they referred GARP to another hotel and that GARP is looking into arrangements at the moment. Still, the COVID situation in the Netherlands is pretty bad (partial lockdown) even though 30 people are allowed in a room and infections are increasing every day. Last week I was still motivated, but as the exam day is nearing it just seems more and more of a bad idea to not postpone the exam.

The fact that there has been zero communication from GARP so far even though the exam is in a week and the COVID situation has been known for a while is particularly astounding.

ag222

Hi, same situation on Warsaw. We have partial lockdown starting tomorrow, with the COVID trends getting worse each day. I emailed GARP but I guess I cannot expect answers. No news on how they are going to run the exam once there are gathering limited to 10 persons. And as someone earlier wrote, the fact that something is not prohibited does not mean it is safe or reasonable. I even called the exam venue today but they would not answer... Unfortunately, there is no local bureau to contact.

Hi, same situation on Warsaw. We have partial lockdown starting tomorrow, with the COVID trends getting worse each day. I emailed GARP but I guess I cannot expect answers. No news on how they are going to run the exam once there are gathering limited to 10 persons. And as someone earlier wrote, the fact that something is not prohibited does not mean it is safe or reasonable. I even called the exam venue today but they would not answer... Unfortunately, there is no local bureau to contact.
yeap, same situation. I am also taking exam in Warsaw, and yst I had emailed to GARP and also no news. But giving that its in hotel, maybe they would split us into groups.

anton.mahkats

My sense is that because the COVID situation is so fluid at the moment and have been evolving so rapidly in the past several days (at least in Europe) that GARP must be considering cancelling/postponing the exam whatsoever (instead of changing dates for single locations on a daily basis as was the case last week) as new tougher measures are being announced every day by various countries and uncertainty is increasing by the hour. In the hindsight, the May exam should have been moved to September, but who knew then...

pawelog12

According to email I received, beginning from 19th Oct. conferences will not take place at venue (except webinars). It is inconclusive, but suggests the planned exam date (in Warsaw) is rather questionable. GARP should update info concerning Covid issues immediately at least to reinsure that nothing changes.

Any fellow Swiss guys here? Did they change the exam location? I have printed my admission ticket some days ago and it said sheraton Zurich.
Now on the GARP homepage it says Hilton Spreitenbach and when I opened my ticket again, the location is also Hilton Spreitenbach...

I guess it is Spreitenbach, but on the Dashboard it still says Zurich - so I am a little bit confused:confused: They haven't sent an update/warning by mail as well...

I have sent a Mail to GARP, I'll post the answers.

randomname

Swiss here. My ticket, printed on 10/10, shows Sheraton. The new ticket says Spreitenbach, however that is not canton Zurich anymore and I also did not receive any email. Please let me know what they reply

Last edited:

nellekevdlei

Anybody writing in Germany next week? I have emailed GARP whether the exam will still take place given the rising numbers in Germany, but no answer so far. Just hoping that we will be allowed to stay in a hotel in Frankfurt next weekend without having to provide a negative test.

czet

Anybody writing in Germany next week? I have emailed GARP whether the exam will still take place given the rising numbers in Germany, but no answer so far. Just hoping that we will be allowed to stay in a hotel in Frankfurt next weekend without having to provide a negative test.

Yes, was wondering that as well given that Frankfurt has become a high risk location already earlier in October and has been increasing restrictions since then. But apparently those restrictions that only x people are allowed to meet in public don't count for the exam, otherwise Garp would have had to cancel this already at least a week ago.
I feel very uncomfortable to travel to Frankfurt to be honest with the second wave really going on right now in the Rhein-Main area, but assume the exam will go ahead anyway..

ag222

Yes, was wondering that as well given that Frankfurt has become a high risk location already earlier in October and has been increasing restrictions since then. But apparently those restrictions that only x people are allowed to meet in public don't count for the exam, otherwise Garp would have had to cancel this already at least a week ago.
I feel very uncomfortable to travel to Frankfurt to be honest with the second wave really going on right now in the Rhein-Main area, but assume the exam will go ahead anyway..
It seems unclear what the conditions are to postpone the exam. Does anyone know what were the circumstances in the cancelled locations?
And btw, as far as I know, one mask is provided per person per 4h, does not sound safe or compliant with what the doctors say..

As I recall it, Germany doesn't have any tight restrictions yet on indoor gatherings yet. I fear that GARP is strictly looking at the local restrictions and nothing else. I think that the locations which have been cancelled so far have a capacity restriction of sub 10 people indoors or no gatherings allowed at all.

Some countries have higher capacity restrictions for a while already but GARP hasn't communicated anything yet about those locations. Hopefully we can expect another round of communications from GARP on monday.

czet

As I recall it, Germany doesn't have any tight restrictions yet on indoor gatherings yet. I fear that GARP is strictly looking at the local restrictions and nothing else. I think that the locations which have been cancelled so far have a capacity restriction of sub 10 people indoors or no gatherings allowed at all.

Some countries have higher capacity restrictions for a while already but GARP hasn't communicated anything yet about those locations. Hopefully we can expect another round of communications from GARP on monday.
In fact there are restrictions in the city of Frankfurt where the exam is taking place, because Frankfurt and the surrounding area has become a high risk area in October. But as far as I know the restrictions are mostly on private gatherings, while for public events up to 100 people are still allowed (although that might of course become stricter since the infections don't seem to go down).
BTW a colleague mentioned that the CFA exam in Frankfurt scheduled for December has already been cancelled - though I assume for the FRM there is a chance that we're below the 100 people mark.

nellekevdlei

Regarding the capacity constraints, this seems to differ and is not yet quite clear to me. As to my understanding, it is limited to 100 people but sometimes exceptions are allowed as long as there is good hygiene concept (I believe max will be then 250). I also have no idea how many people are writing the exam in Frankfurt. So I am trying to keep the motivation high but it is not always easy. With regards to Amsterdam, I don't understand why GARP hasn't canceled that one yet or at least communicated something.

I see Austria, Wales and Belgium announced tightened restrictions. I really hope GARP is going to communicate something soon. Half of Europe is basically one big unknown at the moment.

Last edited:

dawsze

Regarding Warsaw. I just called the Mariott hotel. They told me that exam has been cancelled (they no longer have this in their system). The only question is if GARP is looking for new location in Poland or has just cancelled an October exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.