2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkvfrm

Like PP said you may have already deferred once. If you have a family emergency, GARP has a late deferral application process that hopefully they’ll let you apply for even if you’ve already deferred once (because of course you can’t predict/control these emergencies). Best thing to do is call them and they’ll send you an application. They’ll want to see documentation, etc. and they’ll want to charge $150.
Thanks very much...

tylerswob

Still trying to get confirmation on my deferral from GARP. I have been on hold for two hours now. Have emailed my confirmation for the last four days and no reply. Thought calling would finally settle the situation. So far I have been incorrect in my assumption calling would be useful.

Did anyone actually get through and speak to someone at GARP recently?

tylerswob

And now I cannot even sign in to the GARP website. Can anyone else sign in?

I'm on hold for three hours now; the website has crashed and cannot sign in; and this is the supposed day where you must change your exam date for a deferral.

This is really happening. Wow. Their whole system is down and they aren't answering the phones.

firstplace

Yes their switchboard is a disaster right now. I've been calling since this morning. It's routing to voicemail instead of a person. Also, I've heard it takes just under two weeks to hear back from email requests.

Has anyone heard from GARP whether they will arrange more rooms if COVID regulations state a max capacity per room? Has anyone asked them this question already?

evelyn.peng

Has anyone heard from GARP whether they will arrange more rooms if COVID regulations state a max capacity per room? Has anyone asked them this question already?
I asked this question on Sept 30, and suggested GARP change their venues like book a block of hotel rooms. I just got a canned response this morning. Basically it gives me no more information than what's already published on their website (i.e., GARP takes safety precautions, and GARP will REACT to specific situations related to the pandemic and follow local government permissions).
It does not look like GARP is willing to make adjustment to their plans, at least, not based on the response I received from them.

mattheweidinger

I asked this question on Sept 30, and suggested GARP change their venues like book a block of hotel rooms. I just got a canned response this morning. Basically it gives me no more information than what's already published on their website (i.e., GARP takes safety precautions, and GARP will REACT to specific situations related to the pandemic and follow local government permissions).
It does not look like GARP is willing to make adjustment to their plans, at least, not based on the response I received from them.

As I understand, the CPA exams in Montreal did this in early September, in the SAME hotel GARP had scheduled the FRM exams - right before we went into lockdown 2.0 here. Basically they blocked off 1-2 hotel floors and had proctors patrol the hallways with the hotel rooms open so that they could monitor the students. 1 student per hotel room.

Based on the way this virus is going, I think this could be a sound solution come January...

That's interesting. So even though the regulations in the country are known, there's still no knowing what to expect until GARP finally decides to give some clarity. God knows when that will be.

What do you mean by "It does not look like GARP is willing to make adjustment to their plans[...]"? Their plans being not booking different rooms or something else?

As I understand, the CPA exams in Montreal did this in early September, in the SAME hotel GARP had scheduled the FRM exams - right before we went into lockdown 2.0 here. Basically they blocked off 1-2 hotel floors and had proctors patrol the hallways with the hotel rooms open so that they could monitor the students. 1 student per hotel room.

Based on the way this virus is going, I think this could be a sound solution come January...
We've seen that CPA and CFA have handled things differently than GARP. Better, in fact.

evelyn.peng

That's interesting. So even though the regulations in the country are known, there's still no knowing what to expect until GARP finally decides to give some clarity. God knows when that will be.

What do you mean by "It does not look like GARP is willing to make adjustment to their plans[...]"? Their plans being not booking different rooms or something else?

What I mean is: GARP has not deviated from their standard script, offering no willingness to take my suggestions of blocking hotel rooms. I've said to GARP in my email, our local restriction is 10 people per room. In their response, they did not address or respond that restriction at all. Here's a direct quote from their response:
"As the exam date gets closer and closer, we will react to specific situations related to the pandemic and inform candidates of our updated plans.
See our latest notice here https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices
If you have any other questions and concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Member Services at GARP."

Last edited by a moderator:
@evelyn.peng I see. The poor communication from their side is annoying. With max 10 capacity I can imagine a couple of extra rooms can be booked. If I understood you correctly, that max capacity was already known in September (when you mailed them). I feel in that case they had plenty of time to think about it and if they haven't canceled it by now, I don't think it will be unless there are any other developments. So far, they seem to have only canceled the locations where indoor gatherings aren't allowed at all anymore.

The max capacity in our situation is 30 people, which I guess should be manageable for them. But still, there's no way to know where they currently stand since they are not saying anything.

firstplace

Who thinks November Exam will happen in toronto?
There is no chance.

Contrast GARP with PRMIA's approach:

Important notice about COVID19 and PRMIA examinations
As you prepare to schedule and take your examination at a Pearson VUE test center, learn more about Pearson VUE's country-based guidance to ensure your health and safety as well as the safety of employees at the Pearson VUE testing centers.
If you are unable to sit for your exam at a test center, remote-proctored examination options are available.

vinebills

Who thinks November Exam will happen in toronto?

Looks doubtful.......with such high cases, I wouldnt be suprised if they move it to Jan ( to be honest not sure how jan helps, it is going to be the same then too, unless a vaccine comes through and i guess the hope is it will come in dec?)

The whole hotel chain where the Amsterdam October exam is to be held has been closed down. I guess this will at least force some communication from GARP's side soon. If they send out a message telling us the location will be changed, it confirms that the exam can be held under current conditions (max 30 capacity indoors). Possibly this will also confirm that GARP will book multiple rooms if needed, assuming there will be more than 30 people taking the Amsterdam exam in October.

I'd rather just have clear communication instead of having to decipher the current situation, though.

Lmgroves1

Tougher restrictions for London coming into play on Saturday - hopefully will receive some sort of guidance/update re. the 24th October exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.