2014 FRM Publishing Calendar

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Note: This calendar is a high-level target only. We are making no promises that correspond to exact dates. The notes (and all materials) will eventually be updated in their entirety, but the pattern may appear to be irregular (e.g., we have already posted new material). Our priority is high-quality, deeply engaged material. In some cases, this takes more time.

Here is a 2014 calendar for your reference. This version telegraphs notes only. Please do not post queries about status of particular items: we are always updating materials and status updates are candidly not productive (given our commitment to a transparent forum and customer service: we don't delete any forum entries and we answer all emails).

You can also open this Excel file to view a more detailed calendar. This will give you the specific readings and I have placed "NEW" next to the new 2014 materials for your convenience.

FRM_2014Calendar.png

Last edited by a moderator:

FRM_2014

Thanks Nicole. I am new to this forum. Could you help me understand the name convention you used in your spreadsheet? For example P1.T1.R2, P1.T4.R30, what are the corresponding readings in FRM AIM or handbook?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @FRM_2014,

To use your example, P1.T1.R2, here is the breakdown of the name: P1 = Part 1, T1 = Topic 1, R2 = Reading 2. If you download the Excel spreadsheet by clicking on the "Excel" link provided, the calendar is much more detailed. Once you download the spreadsheet, you will see that there is a comment associated with each name title and if you move your cursor over that comment, it gives you the name of the AIM reading and any chapters associated with it. Thank you for using Bionic Turtle, and if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Nicole Manley

FRM_2014

Nicole, Thanks for the reply! I just downloaded the spreadsheet and now I am able to see the comment. For those readings that are the same as 2013, will the notes be kept the same as the current notes on this website? Also will the question sets be updated the same time as the notes?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @FRM_2014
  • Re: "For those readings that are the same as 2013, will the notes be kept the same as the current notes on this website?" Not exactly the same (otherwise, we would have immediately just re-posted): I am editing all notes for improvements
  • Re: "Also will the question sets be updated the same time as the notes?" Where pre-existing question set do exist, basically the answer is Yes (again, revisions for improvement and/or error correction). The calendar won't yet reflect this aspect until we gain a bit more confidence in the coming weeks (we don't want to over-promise). Thanks,

Last edited:

Steve Jobs

Aah it will be too late!

1. We have to start with the materials that were not changed in 2014.

2. It also means that we cannot do full reviews many times. In other words, when studying, we have to go in detail at the first review, so that there will be enough time for topics going to be published close the exam date.

Any way, thanks for your efforts and really hope to get the updates faster. Please focus on the notes and questions sets first.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@Steve Jobs the materials that have not changed, by definition, are already in the study planner right this moment. With respect to "please focus on the notes and question sets first," yes, that is what we happen to be doing, but truthfully not because you asked: as if we could shift our entire content direction so easily :rolleyes:

This is the plan, I've no plans to change it, and further, it's only a target plan. I may get ahead of it in some respects, I may slip behind in other aspects. It's a target.

Feel free to make suggestions, of course, polite suggestions are always welcome!

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
For everyone's convenience, please note that I have also added "NEW" in the comment of each reading that is new to 2014 on the calendar. I am hoping this makes it easier to quickly glance at the calendar and see which readings are new to the 2014 curriculum without having to switch back and forth to the comparison spreadsheet that I provided previously.

Jo_

Subscriber
If i may add one suggestion, from my point of view, if at all there is a prioritization process, the priority could be laid on new readings rather than new AIMS from existing readings. I imagine (but i could be wrong) that new aims would still be covered by the existing readings. Contrary for new readings, for which no material at all is yet available.

That being said, whether they are published next week or in 2 months makes relatively little difference because, as you said, you can start by working on the existing material, which covers the majority of the (unchanged) content. My main concern is to get study notes on the new readings, preferably something like min. 3/4 weeks before the exam (which seems to be the case if i interpret your calendar correctly). Any later would start to make studying a bit difficult, as you surely understand.

Thanks a lot for your continuous efforts in advance. Your materials gave me a genuine motivation boost.

Wolf

Hello David, Nicole,
My plan was to review, as soon as possible, the videos and study notes as published under the Study Planner.
For example: I have started the Foundation of Risk Management (first video and nearly completed the study notes) and will soon move to Quantitative Analysis this weekend.
The plan is to then have enough time prior the exam to work through the question sets, etc.

Am I still able to continue this strategy or should I wait until the corresponding material is updated as per your published compact excel calendar?
Or have I missed the point? Has the material already been updated to reflect 2014 changes. That the published compact excel calendar is for our convenience only - to be used as a planner?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Wolf

Your plan is fine (and actually, i think it's best: bias in favor of read/review/absorb in beginning with shift toward emphasis and exclusive practice of questions toward the end). But, okay, so under this plan you will review several "old" (2013) items, which will subsequently be updated. It's not really a problem. The FRM is actually not as periodic as the AIMs suggest (for example, you'll maybe review the Miller's Stat before we update it. It doesn't really matter. Our revision in Miller will largely constitute improvements, not new concept introduction. The testable base is exactly the same. Actually, in Miller's case, I'm writing to GARP because he has released a second edition. I want to use his 2nd edition for updates. Will that be a mistake? Almost certainly not: same concepts/AIM, probably just improved presentation!)

So you can see for existing readings, your plan is great and really won't matter, except you'll notice an update after you've reviewed.

What about new readings? In truth, we will have some gaps: you will get to a reading and we won't have the notes yet, or certainly the practice question set. I want to be clear: that's just how it works (our approach includes quality and a support forum, two factors which . Refer to the source reading, use the forum, but don't expect us to have all new readings ready immediately. And, even more so, definitely not the practice questions; our approach to deep questions takes time. I hope that helps, thanks,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Wolf

Your plan is fine (and actually, i think it's best: bias in favor of read/review/absorb in beginning with shift toward emphasis and exclusive practice of questions toward the end). But, okay, so under this plan you will review several "old" (2013) items, which will subsequently be updated. It's not really a problem (For example, you'll maybe review the Miller's Stat before we update it. It doesn't really matter. Our revision in Miller will largely constitute improvements, not new concept introduction. The testable base is exactly the same. New candidates understandably assume that because the AIMs update, the prior is useless. That's not really how the FRM works, they test the concepts. Actually, to further illustrate, in Miller's case, I'm writing to GARP because he has released a 2nd edition since they've published the AIMs. I want to use his 2nd edition for updates. Will that be a mistake as the Study Guide literally assumes 1st Edition Miller? Almost certainly it will not: same concepts/AIM, just an improved presentation!)

So you can see for existing readings, your plan is great and really won't matter, except you'll notice an update after you've reviewed.

What about new readings? In truth, we will have several gaps: you will get to a reading and we won't have the notes yet. And, certainly we will have many practice question set gaps. I want to be clear: that's how our approach works (our approach includes high quality and an active support forum, two factors which don't allow for an immediate update of all fresh material).

I hope that is helpful! Thanks,

Last edited:

Wolf

Hello David,

Thank you for your email and clarifying my approach.
I will go through all the material regardless of 2014 or 2013 syllabus.

I must admit that I have found your notes and videos to date very concise and inspiring.
I have read the Schweser books, although they are said to be more structured and easy to follow than GARP, I still found myself ‘drowning’ in the all the text. (I have to admit that 95% of the material is new to me).
In fact I found myself reading Schweser just for the sake of reading. “I must finish 10 pages before I go to bed, etc”. Not the best way to learn.

BT, on the other hand, I have watched and read through the initial topics and have been able to understand and retain the information much better.
This, I believe, is because you have brought together the syllabus and material to a structure which is much better to digest (and to stay awake to).
As mentioned I will look to tackle the questions sets in random order once I have reviewed (and memorized as best as possible) all the material.
I have heard good reviews about the question sets, so I can’t wait.

Thanks again.
I am sure we will chat again.
Wolf.

AnuragSeth

Hi David

I would be giving the FRM Part I in May. I am an MBA with Finance background. Needed your advise on a couple of things.

1. Is 3 months enough time for part 1?
2. I have ready access to 2012 FRM Part 1 notes. Can I get a comparison as to what all has changed between 2013 FRM part 1 and Part 2.

Regards

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@AnuragSeth,

Thank you for your interest in Bionic Turtle! To answer your question, there are many people who have successfully passed FRM Part 1 with a short time to study. It really depends on you as an individual. Bionic Turtle offers a great deal of material to assist you in your FRM preparation. All of our materials are organized in an easy-to-navigate study planner, which makes studying much easier. If you are dedicated to your studies and make sure that you have adequate time set aside to study the materials, it will be much easier for you to pass the exam.

Here is an AIM-by-AIM comparison I prepared to analyze the changes in the materials from year to year:
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

Nicole Manley

Last edited:

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@AnuragSeth To further echo Nicole's point, if you have an MBA Finance background, three months should definitely be enough time. As I've said many times, the key differentiator with respect to time required for Part 1 is quantitative fluency. I recommend just browsing the Quantitative Topic (T2) AIMS; the less discomfort those give you on inspection, the less extra time you'll require. Thanks,

AnuragSeth

David and Nicole

Thanks for such a quick answer..surely helps. Also the spreadsheet is helpful.. I assume the red color means that it those topics are no longer there and blue means that those topics are newly added..... however I only see Part 1 - Topic 1 being there. Am I missing the info on other parts?

Anurag

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@AnuragSeth correct re: red versus blue. Re: topic 1: just page down the very large spreadsheets (some of those gaps are due to fact the XLS goes back to 2010: we do keep a trailing log, as there is more conceptual continuity to FRM Part 1 than the reading churn suggests. Sometimes old readings come back in their new editions). thanks,