2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattheweidinger

From tonight onward, in The Netherlands the max capacity allowed for indoors 'public' spaces is 30. I have my exam on the 24th of October in Amsterdam. I'm worried that this policy directly affects the exam.

I think the only way to circumvent it is if they booked more halls in the convention centre. Or if the people taking the exam is less than 30, which might be possible if most people chose November as the new date instead of October. But there's no way to know that. I'm just worried my study plan will be postponed by a full year...

I hope they give us more certainty soon.

I actually have a similar concern. I am in Montreal, Canada, which has a second wave of COVID coming through right now. Our Premier (governor) has limited capacity to 25 people indoors for the next 28 days (and shut down restaurants and bars again), which overlaps with the October 24 exam. I called GARP and they said that they will have multiple rooms in the testing center - which is a hotel in my case - in order to accommodate all the candidates as per social distancing guidelines. I am writing part two in the afternoon and I can't see how there would be more than 25 people in the exam room based on the numbers at the part 1 last year (around 70), ordinary failure rate (assume 40-50% passed last year) and candidates deferring due to the virus fears anyways (10-15??).

Also, GARP told me that they would be keeping the curriculum the same for 2020 deferred candidates in 2021. Even if the curriculum has minor (or major) changes in 2021, they will test deferred 2020 candidates based on the 2020 curriculum - whether they write paper or computer tests in 2021...

walli26

I actually have a similar concern. I am in Montreal, Canada, which has a second wave of COVID coming through right now. Our Premier (governor) has limited capacity to 25 people indoors for the next 28 days (and shut down restaurants and bars again), which overlaps with the October 24 exam. I called GARP and they said that they will have multiple rooms in the testing center - which is a hotel in my case - in order to accommodate all the candidates as per social distancing guidelines. I am writing part two in the afternoon and I can't see how there would be more than 25 people in the exam room based on the numbers at the part 1 last year (around 70), ordinary failure rate (assume 40-50% passed last year) and candidates deferring due to the virus fears anyways (10-15??).

Also, GARP told me that they would be keeping the curriculum the same for 2020 deferred candidates in 2021. Even if the curriculum has minor (or major) changes in 2021, they will test deferred 2020 candidates based on the 2020 curriculum - whether they write paper or computer tests in 2021...

Hello Matthew, i'm also in Montreal and writing part II in October. Are you sure, ballrooms/event rooms are even allowed to have people in? I thought the 25 people only applied to funerals (same family) and not other gatherings. It is clear that movie theaters, libraries and other event centers will stay closed until the 28th, but hotels will stay open. My question, in our case, is what about hotels' ballrooms? Still waiting on an official statement from GARP...

mattheweidinger

Hello Matthew, i'm also in Montreal and writing part II in October. Are you sure, ballrooms/event rooms are even allowed to have people in? I thought the 25 people only applied to funerals (same family) and not other gatherings. It is clear that movie theaters, libraries and other event centers will stay closed until the 28th, but hotels will stay open. My question, in our case, is what about hotels' ballrooms? Still waiting on an official statement from GARP...

GARP said that they were aware of the new restrictions and will just be moving people around more between the space they have booked. From what I was told, it seemed like a ton of space had been booked inside the Double Tree hotel and they had plenty of rooms to shift people around in. But, I could be wrong. I honestly can't see there being more than 25 people at the part 2 in Montreal. I don't know if you wrote the part 1 last year, but there were 80 spots - and I am pretty sure that at least 8 were no shows. I figure 10-15 of the 72 people who were there were ERP exam takers based on statistics and exam booklet colors. With a failure rate of 55% and maybe 10 people voluntarily deferring until 2021, I estimate 15-23 people being there for part 2.

I think it is ironic that we could have a situation where gyms and swimming pools stay open, but these exams (and others) are not permitted. There were easily 100 people present in my gym yesterday evening and I doubt that will change in the next 28 days.

What bank/firm do you work at in MTL?

ktrathen

Given there are >50 locations around the world and different restrictions and requirements in every location, I don't see how GARP can possibly manage the logistics if they cannot even respond to emails. I think there is a decent chance all or most of the exams get postponed worldwide.

Last edited:

walli26

GARP said that they were aware of the new restrictions and will just be moving people around more between the space they have booked. From what I was told, it seemed like a ton of space had been booked inside the Double Tree hotel and they had plenty of rooms to shift people around in. But, I could be wrong. I honestly can't see there being more than 25 people at the part 2 in Montreal. I don't know if you wrote the part 1 last year, but there were 80 spots - and I am pretty sure that at least 8 were no shows. I figure 10-15 of the 72 people who were there were ERP exam takers based on statistics and exam booklet colors. With a failure rate of 55% and maybe 10 people voluntarily deferring until 2021, I estimate 15-23 people being there for part 2.

I think it is ironic that we could have a situation where gyms and swimming pools stay open, but these exams (and others) are not permitted. There were easily 100 people present in my gym yesterday evening and I doubt that will change in the next 28 days.

What bank/firm do you work at in MTL?

Hi Matthew, yes, I get your point, it doesn't really make sense. We'll definitely have to wait and see, but from what i'm reading from multiple news sources/gov. website it seems the 25 people cap only applies to "funerals and specific activities in houses of worship", while other public gatherings in venues are fully prohibited. Consequently, even with the best intentions and by splitting people into 5 different rooms which wouldn't be super economical for GARP, I doubt they can go against the law and risk fines..
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/life-in-the-red-zone-here-s-what-you-can-and-can-t-do-1.5125093
https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/hea...ntervention-system/level-4-maximum-alert-red/

mattheweidinger

Just saw the cancellation notice regarding Indian exams: https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices

I wonder if January 16 could be a potential date for other regions that need to reschedule? It would be appropriate to have candidates worldwide writing around the same weekend...The date seems to be far out enough that things could change, but not far enough to guarantee that they don't stay the same - depending on what country/city you are in and the rate of infection.

I also wonder if any delay of the October 24 exam will automatically mean the November exams are delayed as well, since they are so close and < 1 month is hardly enough time for serious change in local conditions and restrictions.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
GARP has released two new statements regarding the upcoming exams. https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices

1. INDIA NOVEMBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its November 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in India to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for November’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

2. REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDIDATES TAKING OCTOBER EXAMS IN MAINLAND CHINA
    Due to local rules regarding COVID-19, candidates in China planning to take the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams on October 24, 2020 are required to fill out a Health Statement. Candidates who do not complete the form will not be able to sit for the Exam. Candidates must print the form, complete it in its entirety, bring it with them on exam day, and give it to their proctor during check-in.

dtammerz

Just saw the cancellation notice regarding Indian exams: https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices

I wonder if January 16 could be a potential date for other regions that need to reschedule? It would be appropriate to have candidates worldwide writing around the same weekend...The date seems to be far out enough that things could change, but not far enough to guarantee that they don't stay the same - depending on what country/city you are in and the rate of infection.

I also wonder if any delay of the October 24 exam will automatically mean the November exams are delayed as well, since they are so close and < 1 month is hardly enough time for serious change in local conditions and restrictions.

Yeah, I am also wondering whether GARP has the means and logistics to create and administer so many non electronic exams so close together (Oct, Nov, Jan) in different parts of the world. There is so much anxiety from the suspense of whether the test is certainly happening everywhere...

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: SEP 30, 2020
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Melbourne, Australia, to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

SAN FRANCISCO OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in San Francisco to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

BAHRAIN OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Bahrain to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

PERU OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Peru to January 16, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

ISRAEL OCTOBER EXAMS POSTPONED TO JANUARY

Due to local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its October 2020 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Israel to January 17, 2021. All candidates registered for October’s Exams will automatically be registered for January’s Exams, which will be based on the same curriculum. Candidates do not have to take additional steps to register for January.

mattheweidinger

Has anyone in one of the delayed regions gotten an e-mail with further details or is it just the same as what is posted on the GARP website and copied by Nicole above?

Curious what Jan administrations could look like...GARP should manage its risk and adapt to the new probability distribution of outcomes in the new COVID-19 world...delaying perpetually for 2 months at a time is not a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.