Will 70% correct on the FRM Level II Exam be enough to pass?

Hi All, Hope you're all doing great, if you're preparing to write FRM II this year, as I am on Dec. 8th. I'm Nishant Xavier from India. I worked in Bank of New York Mellon for over 2 years as a Quantitative Analyst in Financial Management. I currently work in Credit Suisse as an Investment Risk Analyst in Risk Management. It's been hard balancing 80 Hour Work-Weeks with 300-400 Hours of Preparation required to clear FRM Level II (I cleared FRM L1 though, doing something similar in BNY, by God's Grace!), but I think I've done ok so far.

So, my question is, what's the bare minimum mark that absolutely guarantees you will pass? I understand the final percentile ranking and pass grade is relative. But if you score 70% on the exam, are we guaranteed to pass with at least 99% Confidence? I did a Mock Test (FRM 2021 Practice Exam, sent to us by GARP for Free when we register) and got exactly 70% on the Exam, 56 Questions Correct out of 80. Would this be a passing grade in virtually aim higher, for like 60 (75%) or 64 (80%) to be sure.

Conceptual questions are more difficult for me. Because of my quantitative background, numerical questions are a breeze. I try to approach the passing score when I'm done with the numericals. Although I estimate only about 55-60% of the questions are numericals, so you definitely need at least some conceptual questions to clear.

Thoughts from you good people here?

Nishant Xavier,
Credit Suisse,
Mumbai Office,
Best Regards,

???

No answers?

Anyway, I prepared as best I could, and wrote one more FRM II Mock Test.

Just about to leave for my exam now. It will be 2:00 to 6:00 PM India Time.

I'll let you all know how it goes. We'll discuss on BT once everyone's exam's end.

Bluefox21

Good luck Nishant! I would say 70% is almost certainly enough.

I'm in the same boat as you - the quantitative stuff is fine but the qualitative questions very vague and not what is practiced in the field

nc27

same here i did well on BT mock and very well on garp mock, but knowing garp, I am not sure what to expect on exam day... I think at this point in time, we just have to relax until exam day, the difficult part (the preparation process) is behind us....

cheers

Last edited:
@David, we are free to publicly discuss specific questions, aren't we? Please let me know if there is any Forum Policy that states otherwise.

saraswathi

Hope today is the last day for FRM Part 2 exam. The write-up/inputs which the current batch gives will be helpful for upcoming students - May 2022 Exam.

What could be the passing score for FRM Part 2. I still remember I got 1322 in FRM Part 1 and passed the exam. Will it still be the case for Part 2. (Since we have only 80 Questions). Getting a 3rd quartile can we still pass the Part 2 Exam.

Which are the topics which are easy to complete first.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@David, we are free to publicly discuss specific questions, aren't we? Please let me know if there is any Forum Policy that states otherwise.
Hello @Nishant Xavier No GARP does not allow us to post a forum feedback thread until all of the exams are over. They are still ongoing today. I posted this earlier in the week, and we will open it for discussion when all exams have been completed: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/november-2021-part-2-exam-feedback.24107/. Generally, we open the thread the first business day after the exams (Monday), but I will get online on Saturday to open the thread.