Thirteen new learning spreadsheets uploaded

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
In preparation for our tutorials on Financial Products and Markets, my colleague Harsh just uploaded thirteen new learning spreadsheets to the member page. These cover many of the concepts in the assigned John Hull:

3.a.1 Arbitrage: illustrates cash-and-carry and reverse-cash-and-carry arbitrage if forward is mis-priced

3.a.2 Daily margin: Duplicates margin mechanics of Hull's Table 2.1 (i.e., maintenance margin, variation margin). Worth looking at. The margin call is a difference from the forward contract, and the volatility of this "excess" margin cash creates the pricing difference between a future and a forward (convexity bias)

3.a.3 Basis risk: Illustration of *unexpected* weakening and strengthening of the basis. Easy to gloss over, but please don't because it's maybe a little harder than it looks at first glance.

3.a.4. Minimum variance hedge ratio: duplicates Hull's cross-hedge (3.4 page 55). The regression of change in futures price against change in spot price produces minimum variance hedge ratio which is equal to the slope of the OLS line.

3.a.5. Compound frequency conversion practice. Convert discrete to continuous, and vice-versa.

3.a.6. Forward rates. Essential! Given three inputs (par, coupon and spot curve), shows forward rates. The idea is just as important as the numbers: we want to see that no-arbitrage allows us to extract a forward curve from a spot curve.

3.a.7. Hull's (simple) bond duration. We need to know this. More detail in Tuckman, but this is maybe a gentler introduction (notice that under continuous compounding, Macaulay and modified duration are the same)

3.a.8. Universal cost-of-carry (newly revised for better usability!): I put eight examples into the same structure to illustrate the cost-of-carry.

3.a.9. An interest rate futures "care package" linked to Hull Chapter 6. Several sheets: T-bill Discount Rate, Dirty Price, Pricing T-bond Futures, Eurodollar futures, Convexity Adjustment

3.a.10. Cheapest-to-deliver (CTD) bond. The CTD calculations are easier and more important; but the conversion factor (CF) itself will take study time. Historically I am not sure it has been tested but we do have an AIM/learning outcome ("Explain and calculate a US Treasury bond futures contract conversion factor”)

3.a.11. Four swap valuations: interest rate (as two bonds, as FRA) and currency swap (as bonds, as FRA)

3.a.12. Put-call-parity (again, freshly revised for better clarity This concept is so important, this is my cleanest summary sheet)

3.a.13. Option trading strategies (brand new). This allows you to interactively view the trading strategies in Hull. Given the assumptions (stock, volatility, riskless rate), you only need to "simulate" trades by selecting (in yellow): i. the strike price, 0/1 for put/call, 0/1 for short/long, and the maturity. The workbook has several sheets, almost all of the strategies are illustrated, you can see how the payoffs are calculated.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Syaiful,

I am using 7th Edition because the 2009 Exam does (I always work carefully with the new AIMs against the up-to-date readings, this is the main reason deployment is timed. We would never rely on prior version).

However, that said, the differences between Hull 6th and 7th Edition, from a candidate's perspective, are marginal. In my opinion, the 7th edition is more like 6.2 than 7.0 and many of the questions are the same. I would not own it except for the a need to be current. If you own 6th edition, I do not believe the 7th is necessary.

David

SURAJM

Hi David,

When are the video tutorials for market products coming out? ... i have already started with Hull and there are lots of places where i have doubts

Suraj

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Suraj, I am recording them tomorrow (start uploading Sun/Mon/Tue)...we are hustling to recover the schedule, around the clock...David

syaiful

Hi David, :lol:

i didn't see spreadsheet *3.a.5.b Hull Chapter 4* on member page.

Does it not published yet ?

Regards,

*Syaiful