No watch allowed during the exam?

sleepybird

Sat for P2 today at the Javits center, NY.
To keep track of time, I brought my wife's watch with me to the exam today, which I left it on the table. Halfway through the exam, I was told to put away my watch. How ridiculous! I had the watch with me on FRM P1 (that was in May and I actually asked if I was permitted to have the watch and it was ok at that time) and CFA exams (couple years ago though), I've never encountered something like this today. I even asked the second proctor to confirm, and she came back confirmed to me that I had to put away my watch...:oops: Seriously?!?!? I don't think I'm the only one with the watch.....couldn't regain my focus on the exam...

Mohamed Sakr

Yes .. they made it clear to us too yesterday, but there was a BIG wall clock right in front of us, so it wasn't an issue.

ShaktiRathore

Subscriber
hello sleepybird,
They just allow the stuff that would be useful on the exam day. Although the "Wristwatches with engaged audible alarms/timers or any type of desk clock/time" are not allowed.
only following items are permitted:
FRM Admission Ticket(s)
Current government-issued photo identification
Approved calculator(s), including calculator case(s)
Pencils or pencil lead for mechanical pencils
Pleaase see the link:
http://www.garp.org/frm/exam-overview/testing-policies-and-procedures/exam-centerroom-policies.aspx

thanks

Addy

Well, the watch story is first time.. I had appeared in 3 exams and none had any watch issues..

sleepybird

It's a just regular analog watch. Nothing audible. I don't think there was a big clock on the wall at my exam site unless I missed it. I agreed with Addy. This is not the first time I'm taking an exam and none of previous ones had any issues. The funny thing is for P1, the exam site EXPLICITLY allowed me to have the watch. Unless they recently changed rules? Anyway I think it depends on the person and luck. Not my day. But glad I felt ok about the exam. Thanks to David, I was well prepared for it, dispute the disruption

sleepybird

Just hope that this thread serves as a lesson learened for other candidates. I think they allowed watch worn on your wrist.

djh2121

Hey sleepybird, for the record and the benefit of future candidates, the issue here is that you are not allowed to use any type of "desk clock" (see last item in list below). A watch worn on your wrist is explicitly approved, but the only items allowed on your desk are your: FRM Admission Ticket(s), Current government-issued photo identification, Approved calculator(s), including calculator case(s), Pencils or pencil lead for mechanical pencils. It seems that the proctors applied the rules correctly in this situation.

The following items are not permitted in the testing room:
Baggage of any kind including backpacks, handbags, tote bags, briefcases, laptop bags, luggage, carrying cases, or pencil cases
Study materials including notes, pens, papers, textbooks, study guides, scratch paper, present/future value tables, or calculator manuals, highlighters, correction fluid, correction tape, or rulers
Knives of any type, including box cutter and X-ACTO knives for use as pencil sharpeners
Cellular telephones, cameras, pagers, headsets, computers, electronic organizers, personal data assistants, or any other remote communication or photographic devices
Wristwatches with engaged audible alarms/timers or any type of desk clock/time

djh2121

I should add that, after my experience yesterday, I do highly recommend printing out and bringing a list of GARP's policies to the test center. The proctors at my location seemed unfamiliar with the list of approved items, and changed their mind, via general announcements, several times about what could and could not be kept with you at your desk, under your chair. This caused quite a bit of needles commotion and confusion as candidates removed approved items from their desks to the storage area only to have to go back and retrieve them one by one with each new announcement.

sleepybird

Hi djh,
Thanks for looking into it. Yes I ended up wearing my wife's watch on my wrist...LOL. But again, it really depends on the person as i'm not the only one with watch on desk, i just didnt want to point out At the spot because I don't want to bring disruptions to others. Hope I don't have to take that again next year. Thanks.

drpepper322

Subscriber
I had the same problem at Javits yesterday. Were you able to see any clocks on the wall or anything? At least with CFA they will put a clock in the front of the room. The last hour was more nerve racking than anything not knowing exactly how much time i had left.

djh2121

Hi drpepper, I was at Javits in the morning and there was definitely no wall clock. However, if the proctors did not make an announcement when there was a half hour and five minutes left for your test, then they did not follow the proper procedures for the test (see schedule here: http://www.garp.org/frm/exam-overview/exam-day-information.aspx). Given, the problems I mentioned earlier, plus the fact that the morning check-in started late, I am already considering writing to GARP to make them aware of the problems.

vjrao

In San Francisco, they explicitly DID allow you to bring a watch, and take it off your wrist. Several people in my exam testing room did so.

troubleshooter

Toronto Centre: I had a wrist-watch sitting in front of me both Level I and II and was never challanged. GARP needs to be explicit on this issue. For me knowing the time when I want to is of utmost importance while taking the test. Both times, the wall clock in the exam centre was not visible from where I was sitting. I would totally freak if I did not know exactly how much time has passed at any given time during the exam...

EK

Just for the record. Here's a confirmation from GARP support - "The wrist watch has to be a regular analog type of watch as long as it doesn't have any other type of special features".