Exam Feedback May 2017 Part 2 Exam Feedback

KA1991

There was a question about hedge fund returns with a formula that looks like Pt - Pt-1 = 0.6781 -0.3722Pt-1 (don't remember the exact parameters)...which answer is correct?

How I got the mean reversion rate is by PT=0.6781-0.3722PT-1+PT-1, so mean reversion = 0.6278. This was my logic of solving and getting the mean reversion. I'm unsure if that's correct. But I found only this way.

KA1991

kind of which one is correct about ERM micro? I answer line manager estimate or something each project, another option is make it centralize
Even I answered that it encourages business manager to assess firm level risk or something

Part 2 Student

There was a question for which one of the four answers was "if the bank does not raise deposit rate, the liquidity coverage ratio would be unchanged". Was that the correct answer?

stephenjohn

Hello - Did anyone sit the Exam in London. If so did they have a clock on the wall as they did not have one when I sat part 1 last Nov which made it almost impossible to determine how much time was left.

bpdulog

I don't see how centralizing project decisions would help a business line manager? Maybe I did not interpret the question correctly

ngocmnb314

There was a question for which one of the four answers was "if the bank does not raise deposit rate, the liquidity coverage ratio would be unchanged". Was that the correct answer?
I chose the same answer. I remembered it said that there is no correlation between deposit rate and deposit amount. So even if they raise the deposit rate, the demand deposit may not increase but deposit interest to be paid will increase. So it couldn't be certain that liquidity coverage ratio will increase.

Hopefully if that's the number - I think I will clear, but anything above that I will have to postpone my celebrations to January.
This is my gut feel...i dont think it can go beyond like 40 or 44 max..someone on this forum quoted 50 to 55 thats around 63% to 70% score..which is impossible for a minimum percentile score unless grap wants to have a passing rate of around 25% only...GARP has been maintaining a pass rate of around 55% and we are only handful of people discussing things on forum..there are many and i believe 99% of the people who are not commenting on this forum. On this forum only i can say majority of us assuming having a decent paper wud be expecting 50-55 then not in any case the cutoff can be around 50 to 55...my belief is 40 expected with upward bias of 44

ilovemuffins

There were 2 questions on Bitcoin, and for both the term traceability was mentioned but if I remembered correctly, only 1 (the second question later in the exam) has a choice that said the identity could be verified. For the first question, I was torn between low transaction costs and traceability... @_@

There were 80 questions so if you picked randomly, you still have a chance of getting 20 correct. I think the passing score should be around 50, but of course I do hope it could be lower so I may stand a better chance haha

Oh and there was 1 on Basel advanced IRB that asked what to do if the internal model allowed 2.5 exceptions and it turned out to be 4. One choice was changing the confidence level, which I ruled out. There was 1 like regulators should call out on the bank and look into it, which I also did not choose. Think I picked A but couldn't remember what it was now....

Last edited:
I don't see how centralizing project decisions would help a business line manager? Maybe I did not interpret the question correctly
This was a question about ERM, I believe. I answered that it will help business line managers to evaluate projects based on the marginal value of risk contribution to the company's VAR (can't remember the exact verbiage).

vistag

Omg, this is one of the most confused post exam discussions i am reading,even after referring the books we (I) are(am)not clear which answer is right or which is wrong.

I strongly feel the exam has tricked us into feeling easy and it is far far from that. Lots of extremely tricky questions. It will be challenging to guess how i did it. Now when people ask how i did the exam,instead of saying good or bad, i am just saying i don't know

Omg, this is one of the most confused post exam discussions i am reading,even after referring the books we (I) are(am)not clear which answer is right or which is wrong.

I strongly feel the exam has tricked us into feeling easy and it is far far from that. Lots of extremely tricky questions. It will be challenging to guess how i did it. Now when people ask how i did the exam,instead of saying good or bad, i am just saying i don't know
Thats the beauty of this paper..once you leave the exam hall you are confident and in next day or two you dont know what you messed up..and there would be many with that feeling..