Exam Feedback May 2016 Part 2 Exam Feedback

Kavita.bhangdia

It seems GARP keeps experimenting with the question paper.. Sometimes they give quant heavy, other times it is qualitative heavy etc etc.. They form a new group/team to decide on the question set every year . So basically we are at the mercy of this team and their interests.. :(

Kavita.bhangdia

To be honest I really wonder if we provide 4 hrs to the Team to set the question paper and ask them to solve it, will they be able to finish it and with what accuracy?

daquity37

I highly doubt more than 60 percent people passed in Nov 2015. These numbers are so inflated and bull crock because GARP clearly has incentive to inflate

Ace_Ashmant

Subscriber
See Nov 2015 pass rate. I recall reading in BT thread that people were complaining that "how come pass rate is so high", "GARP has reduced standards" etc. .. :( ..
Now I wish I gave in Nov 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Risk_Manager

View attachment 645

PS: This is also my 100th post in BT. How timely !
Wow so if we look at it,55 odd pass %age is more of a downside..generally this has touched 60% throughout..now the question is whether pass %age varies directly or inversely with difficulty level....

Kavita.bhangdia

May 2015 has the lowest pass rate of 52%.. I wonder why? Was the GARP particular about the fact that they do not want to go below a certain score to improve the pass rate?

Kavita

Ace_Ashmant

Subscriber
Kavita honestly it seems like this depends on the shape of the distribution of marks.If the tail is thin(a distance of few marks from mean covers more %age of candidates than normal) then in the interest of fairness,GARP would want to pass this larger set of people because they're close in terms of marks.If tails are fat(marks more dispersed),then it's easier to set a cutoff point because there's more differentiation between scores.My theory on this is that in an easy paper,one would expect fat tails(more people at each score level,for example 60,59,58 on 80) while in a paper such as the one we suffered,you might see one superhero at 70/80,but then none till 65,and then 795 people at the 50 mark level,just random numbers for illustration.So GARP will want to pass the whole block of 795 if they clear a minimum benchmark coz hey they all scored equal and we have no sectional or other marking to differentiate them and hence there will be more pass %age.In summary,diifcult test==more passing %age.

Ajay

MAY passing rate has been less compared to November exams. I think number of ppl writing FRM in May are less compared to November. My test center there were just 30-40 people who appeared for the exam. This I assume is because ppl prefer giving CFA exams during June.

Ace_Ashmant

Subscriber
MAY passing rate has been less compared to November exams. I think number of ppl writing FRM in May are less compared to November. My test center there were just 30-40 people who appeared for the exam. This I assume is because ppl prefer giving CFA exams during June.

Hi Ajay,apparently the reverse is true for '11 and '12 and the two %ages have been almost identical in '10 and '14,if the chart at the top of the page is assumed as accurate.So other factors are also at play for sure..