Exam Feedback May 2016 Part 2 Exam Feedback

Ace_Ashmant

Subscriber
I think most people, including myself, feel the same way as you. I think the CFA Institute makes the prior exams available but GARP doesn't. Out of all the practice exams that I took, the GARP practice exams were easiest; but as you saw, the exam was the toughest. I think the surprise can be somewhat alleviated if they make prior exam(s) available; I personally don't see any issue with this as it won't take away from the difficulty of the topics as right now the level of surprise increases the difficulty which shouldn't be the case IMO. With that said, if you were scoring 80 to 90 % in practice exams/tests then I think you should have less to worry about than most.
Mate infact now if they put up a simple paper that'll be an anamoly.I prepared for part 1 via a different institute(non BT,non shwescher) and could crack 75%+ in 2.5 hrs..but part 1 last year was a horror story...could attempt 89/100 only after consuming the whole 4 hours but ended up passing 1/2/2/2. This time did only BT and could do 70+ in all the mocks (I guess as good as a Shwescher 80),but was mentally prepared for a 4 hour assault on humanity and wasn't disappointed :) So all in all,it's no use actually thinking that there are some freaks out there who'd crack the actual test shwescher or CFA style, attempting 80 and getting 65 correct in a paper where many,in their prayers, became believers mid way.Maybe GARP wants candidates who can deal with uncertainity and surprise(read atrocious moves of market variables) in a contained fashion.Maybe the whole idea is to survive the paper not crack it.As they say,the best rodeos are the ones who manage 10+ seconds on the bull..

Mkaim

Subscriber
Mate infact now if they put up a simple paper that'll be an anamoly.I prepared for part 1 via a different institute(non BT,non shwescher) and could crack 75%+ in 2.5 hrs..but part 1 last year was a horror story...could attempt 89/100 only after consuming the whole 4 hours but ended up passing 1/2/2/2. This time did only BT and could do 70+ in all the mocks (I guess as good as a Shwescher 80),but was mentally prepared for a 4 hour assault on humanity and wasn't disappointed :) So all in all,it's no use actually thinking that there are some freaks out there who'd crack the actual test shwescher or CFA style, attempting 80 and getting 65 correct in a paper where many,in their prayers, became believers mid way.Maybe GARP wants candidates who can deal with uncertainity and surprise(read atrocious moves of market variables) in a contained fashion.Maybe the whole idea is to survive the paper not crack it.As they say,the best rodeos are the ones who manage 10+ seconds on the bull..

It could very well be. Other institutions put it out there that they want you to deal with the pressure of their exams, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Delo

Subscriber
Last year Part 1 for me was pretty good. I came out confident and did well 2 1 1 1.
But Part 2 now was brutal and I came our with such a sinking feeling (all months of effort ..weekends felt wasn't worth). I it is not fair. It is very easy for GARP to create a tough exam. Many questions were from the deep corners and few not in syllabus.
I believe people who will pass will not feel as great in passing with this kind of exam.

Mkaim

Subscriber
Last year Part 1 for me was pretty good. I came out confident and did well 2 1 1 1.
But Part 2 now was brutal and I came our with such a sinking feeling (all months of effort ..weekends felt wasn't worth). I it is not fair. It is very easy for GARP to create a tough exam. Many questions were from the deep corners and few not in syllabus.
I believe people who will pass will not feel as great in passing with this kind of exam.
I hear you, but if I pass I'm pretty confident I'll feel super great.

Mkaim

Subscriber
Do the responses from the GARP/FRM post-exam survey have any impact on grading?
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if our feedback here impacts the testing, can't say much about the grading. It would suck if it did. November part II candidates were complaining about there being a lack of computations, but as far as this exam is concerned, there were more than I'd like to see.

Last edited:

Delo

Subscriber
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if our feedback here impacts the testing, can't say much about the grading. It would suck if it did. November part II candidates were complaining about there being a lack of computations, but as far as this exam is concerned, there were more than I'd like to see.
Last year there was a lot of criticism that the pass rate was all time high. I believe that would have affected this years year's difficulty level.

Mkaim

Subscriber
Last year there was a lot of criticism that the pass rate was all time high. I believe that would have affected this years year's difficulty level.
Interesting... I guess some people are never satisfied, even when they pass.

Mkaim

Subscriber
Diificult people...though I would have wanted a 1/1/1/1/1,will be dancing all the way to the bar if I pass :p
If I pass I'm chugging down the nearest bottle, don't think I'll make it to the bar. I don't think I'll scroll down past the "pass" after logging in; quartiles are for another day (month, year)...

Ace_Ashmant

Subscriber
Hehehehehe....yeah,anyways people don't write XYZ,FRM(4th quartiler) in their resume do they? :D....not to say I want that for any of us but hey, a ",FRM" is a ",FRM"... :)

Mkaim

Subscriber
Hehehehehe....yeah,anyways people don't write XYZ,FRM(4th quartiler) in their resume do they? :D....not to say I want that for any of us but hey, a ",FRM" is a ",FRM"... :)
If I get 1/1/1/1/1 , I'm going to be very surprised and resemble my avatar (profile pic.)

Kavita.bhangdia

@Delo, why would their be criticism if the pass rate was high? And do you think tat pass rate was high.? Because I believe that GARP has been pretty consistent with the pass rates. they increase/decrease the cut off accordingly..

Thanks,
Kavita