Language of Instructions - Exam Day - Shanghai/Seoul

schopenhauer

Hi there,

I have a question and I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm.

I'm from Canada, but will need to take the FRM Level II exam in May either in Shanghai or Seoul.

I would like to make sure that proctors all speak in English while giving instructions and mentioning how much time is left. I would assume that locals will be tempted to use Mandarin or Korean; I would obviously like to not be disadvantaged only because I choose to write the exam abroad.

Thanks for your time,

S

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi there,

I have a question and I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm.

I'm from Canada, but will need to take the FRM Level II exam in May either in Shanghai or Seoul.

I would like to make sure that proctors all speak in English while giving instructions and mentioning how much time is left. I would assume that locals will be tempted to use Mandarin or Korean; I would obviously like to not be disadvantaged only because I choose to write the exam abroad.

Thanks for your time,

S
Hello @schopenhauer

I am not 100% sure about this so I will contact GARP to find out for sure, as I'm sure you are not the only person who has this question.

Thank you,

Nicole

schopenhauer

Hello @schopenhauer

I am not 100% sure about this so I will contact GARP to find out for sure, as I'm sure you are not the only person who has this question.

Thank you,

Nicole

Thanks guys, that's very kind of you.

Honestly, I thought that this question was a no-brainer and I was hesitant to actually ask it. When the proctors actually read the instructions from the booklet, I would assume it is in English.

But for everything else, I'm indeed worried that proctors (and candidates) will revert to using the local language, which would be detrimental to foreigners.

Thanks again,

S

schopenhauer

Hi @schopenhauer,

I can confirm that in Germany (Frankfurt) the proctors were giving instructions in English. But to be on the safe side, wait for the feedback from Nicole. :)

Thanks Martin! Although people from Germany (especially Frankfurt and Berlin) speak English very well, from my own experience; so this does not surprise me at all.

Cheers

schopenhauer

Hello @schopenhauer

Thank you,

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Just wanted to follow up quickly with you, in case you managed to get into contact with GARP concerning the language issue previously discussed.

Thanks!

David

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
I received a response from GARP today. For some reason, I never received their previous response, so I followed up with them again yesterday. This is what they stated,
"All proctors and announcements are done in English. If that is not the case, please let us know, but that is the requirement."

You should have no issues taking the exam in another country because it is GARP policy that the proctors must speak English during the exam. I hope this helps!!

Nicole

schopenhauer

I received a response from GARP today. For some reason, I never received their previous response, so I followed up with them again yesterday. This is what they stated,
"All proctors and announcements are done in English. If that is not the case, please let us know, but that is the requirement."

You should have no issues taking the exam in another country because it is GARP policy that the proctors must speak English during the exam. I hope this helps!!

Nicole

That's a relief!!

Thanks for contacting them, Nicole; much appreciated.

S