IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Updated Materials for 2015

Lina

Subscriber
Hi, @bionicturtle

could you please transfer Study Notes and Question Set of Tuckman, Chapter 6 (“Empirical Approaches to Risk Metrics & Hedging”) from Part I to Part II ? Last year it was an AIM in Part I, this year in Part II. Unfortunately I have no access to Part I Study Notes.

Thank you,
Lina

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @Lina

Thank you for pointing this out. I will make sure to copy over the current materials that we have for Tuckman, Chapter 6 from Part 1 to Part 2 today.

Nicole

R

Rf67

Hello @Lina

Thank you for pointing this out. I will make sure to copy over the current materials that we have for Tuckman, Chapter 6 from Part 1 to Part 2 today.

Nicole

Hi,

I am looking for Topic 3, Hull Chapter 26, do you know when it will be available?

It is a reading new to 2015 so I think it is quite pertinent.

Thanks.

Vikkey

Subscriber
I was so optimistic when I purchased the FRM Part 2 subscription that I will be able to test my understanding by solving a lot of questions available.
I finished reading and took out question bank, but then I saw a question which I had no clue!! and then there were many others. Went on to check the reading objectives and found that it is not an objective! or not needed.:oops:
I am not saying that my preparation is 100% but I can see my self wasting a lot time trying to find out if this is something that I can not remember !!! OR something that I have not read because it is not a learning objective!! :confused:
I hope I will be able to manage this exam, but it is my request to BT ....... please please update your material, question banks!!

scw305

Subscriber
Hi Nicole,

Could you please update the material and add Hull's Risk Management and Financial Institutions Chapter 20? It is the last reading in FRM Part 1. Also, Hull's Chapters 12 and 26 in Options Futures and Other Derivatives need to be added as well. Thank you.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello, Nicole,

please don't forget to copy Tuckman, Chapter 6.

Thanks.
Hello @Lina

The Tuckman pdf was updated yesterday and published in the study planner. Chapter 6 was included in the update. :)

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
I was so optimistic when I purchased the FRM Part 2 subscription that I will be able to test my understanding by solving a lot of questions available.
I finished reading and took out question bank, but then I saw a question which I had no clue!! and then there were many others. Went on to check the reading objectives and found that it is not an objective! or not needed.:oops:
I am not saying that my preparation is 100% but I can see my self wasting a lot time trying to find out if this is something that I can not remember !!! OR something that I have not read because it is not a learning objective!! :confused:
I hope I will be able to manage this exam, but it is my request to BT ....... please please update your material, question banks!!

Hello @Vikkey

Thank you for using Bionic Turtle! As stated in this forum thread (my original post), we try very hard to update as many materials as possible before the May exam. We have actually updated a great deal of materials, including practice questions, that are all relevant to this year's exam. You can see the list materials that we have updated for Part 2 HERE in our forum. We make sure to focus on the new readings that are added and then move on to update the readings that were carried over. Many materials do not need to be updated because GARP did not change the learning objectives in the curriculum. However, there are some readings that will have one or two learning objectives added or removed. Since we cannot always get to these before the exam, it is important for our subscribers to follow the GARP curriculum along with the Bionic Turtle study planner. David and I try extremely hard to update as much as possible, but there is always going to be some gaps in the materials. David writes each practice question himself, many of which take hours of his time. They are unique and cannot be found in any other FRM preparation program. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole,

Could you please update the material and add Hull's Risk Management and Financial Institutions Chapter 20? It is the last reading in FRM Part 1. Also, Hull's Chapters 12 and 26 in Options Futures and Other Derivatives need to be added as well. Thank you.
Hello @scw305

Thank you for using Bionic Turtle! We published Hull, Chapter 20 today. We are currently working very hard to finish updating Hull Chapters 12 & 26. I will try to get that published as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Nicole

BerndSE

Subscriber
Hello @Vikkey

[...] we try very hard to update as many materials as possible before the May exam. [...]

Thank you,

Nicole

Hi Nicole, thx for your response.

One short question with regard to Risk Management and Investment Management. In my Schedule I have written down a chapter Andrew Ang, Asset Management..., Chapter 13. Illiquite Assets. I cannot find this in the study planner. Is this not part of the FRM II ?

Thanks.

m123mikmik

Subscriber
@Nicole Manley: Any sense on how important Tuckman Chp 6 is? In one of the first pages you say "These are key formulas that you should know". Obviously with a week left there are other things I would prefer to study if the thought is that this may not come up on the exam. Thanks.

BerndSE

Subscriber
Hi again,
short question regarding FRM Part II, Current Issues:
I can only find two readings in your study planner, but on the GARP homepage there are 9 readings listed. Are 7 out of 9 readings missing one week before the exam or am I just confused from all the learning?
Thanks for a short response

ami44

Subscriber
Hi again,
short question regarding FRM Part II, Current Issues:
I can only find two readings in your study planner, but on the GARP homepage there are 9 readings listed. Are 7 out of 9 readings missing one week before the exam or am I just confused from all the learning?
Thanks for a short response

you need to read the original papers, don't wait for BT.

Attachments

• controlling_risk_in_a_lightning-speed_trading_environment.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 9
  • framework_for_improving_critical_infrastructure_cybersecurity.pdf
    930 KB · Views: 8
  • how_do_exchanges_control_the_risks_of_high_speed_trading.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 5
  • how_do_proprietary_trading_firms_control_the_risks_of_high_speed_trading.pdf
    147.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ssrn-id2224305.pdf
    415.8 KB · Views: 7
  • the_changing_landscape_for_derivatives.pdf
    373 KB · Views: 6
  • valuing_derivatives_funding_value_adjustments_and_fair_value.pdf
    279 KB · Views: 7

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@BerndSE,

You are correct that there are currently only two of the current issues readings published. We prepare and publish materials according to perceived priority. There are always going to be some gaps in the study planner because it would be impossible for us to update all 80+ readings before the May exam. In regard to Ang, this is a new reading in Part 2, however, we will not have study notes published for this reading before the May exam.

@ami44 is correct in stating that it is important for you to go through the source readings for any readings that we have not been able to publish before the exam.

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Manley & @David Harper CFA FRM CIPM, noticed that the Focus Review videos are all out-dated especially for Focus Review part 7 & 8.
Will there be any updates made to it?
Hope to hear from you soon. Just a week more to go :oops:

Many thanks.
Regards,Sun

Hello @tosuhn

Unfortunately, there is not time to update the focus review videos before the May exam. However, may of the videos are still relevant to the current exam and will be beneficial to your studies.

Thank you,

Nicole

tosuhn

Hi, anyone can share details on Ang's reading? I actually rely solely on BT and do not have the readings.
Appreciate if anyone can shed some light/ important points for Ang's reading.

Regards,
Sun

ami44

Subscriber
Hi, anyone can share details on Ang's reading? I actually rely solely on BT and do not have the readings.
Appreciate if anyone can shed some light/ important points for Ang's reading.

Here my very short summary of Ang:

Sources of Illiquidity:
  • Clientele effect
  • Transaction cost
  • Search friction
  • Asymmetric information
  • Price impact
  • Funding constraint
Returns of illiquid assets show:
  • Survivorship bias
  • Infrequent sampling
  • Selection bias (assets trade when their prices are high)

Infrequent trading leads to false price volatility and correlation estimates. A possible solution is to unsmooth the data (add artificial noise).

Empirical a illiquidity premium is measurable between more or less liquid assets of the same asset class. Across assets classes this illiquidity premium has not been found.

That's it. Please add to it, or correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think its the most important chapter.