IMPORTANT!! DO NOT POST ABOUT THE EXAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
As in previous years, we ask all of our forum members not to post in the forum about the exam until after Tuesday, May 22nd at 5:00 p.m. EST. Generally, we ask that you don't post until Monday morning, however, GARP has been very specific that we are not to allow any discussion about the exam this year until Tuesday evening.

Please keep in mind that David and I have to constantly monitor the forum throughout the weekend to ensure that nobody posts any exam information, so we ask that you respect our time also by not posting anything about the exam.

On Tuesday evening, I will post two forum feedback threads (one for Part 1 and one for Part 2). At that time, you can discuss the exam and provide feedback in those threads.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Last year the actual exam contained an error which our members discovered; we reported it to GARP and it was discarded from the results. Consequently, if you perceive there was a mistake on the exam, please notify me ASAP: we want to help make sure everybody gets the fairest possible exam.

To converse with me privately, simply click on my avatar (to the left) and Start a Conversation. We promise to follow-up with GARP in regard to any potential mistakes on the exam. Thank you!

emilioalzamora1

Hi @David Harper CFA FRM,

Bear with me I am just curious as to why does this rule (Tuesday) exist? I think the exam should take place this Sat around the globe and after that everything is done and people will start chatting across a variety of forums (analystforum etc which I think will not have this rule in place).

Sorry but I simply don't see the point here. No one will gain advantage of these follow up forum talks.

Even if there was a mistake and GARP discarded the question no one will really notice it because you won't know how many questions will actually be graded and what they do behind closed doors...
How many notifications from exam takers does it take that GARP really starts doubting one of it's actual exam questions? I mean there must be at least > 1000 people who are dead certain about this. Most of the time you simply have a bad feeling because you overread/misinterpret sth but this does not imply that the question per se was flawed....

Thank you!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @emilioalzamora1 I agree, that's why I've asked to speak with them tomorrow. We will manage a "blackout" of the forum until the end of the last exam; there is no need to manage beyond the point in time at which the last exam ends (unless I a missing something?). They sent us this:
As we prepare for the FRM and ERP Exams this weekend, we wanted to remind each of you about not posting any exam day information that your candidates might share with you. Please understand that the GARP Exams are administered at the same time locally around the world and because of this, we are asking that you please refrain from posting or sharing in any public forum, blog, social media platform any information regarding the FRM or ERP Exams until after Tuesday, May 22nd at 5:00pm (EST).

The extended days are due to the Shavuot, Jewish Holiday, which occurs over three days (May 19 – 21) and coincides with our Exam this year.

... but I still want to clarify when the last exam ends.

Re: Even if there was a mistake and GARP discarded the question no one will really notice it because you won't know how many questions will actually be graded and what they do behind closed doors
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry? If our members didn't highlight this mistake last year, I have no way of knowing that it would have been discovered/discarded. My concern is to flag any suspicious questions (you saw how many errors have been trapped in the practice exams...)

Re: How many notifications from exam takers does it take that GARP really starts doubting one of it's actual exam questions? I mean there must be at least > 1000 people who are dead certain about this. Most of the time you simply have a bad feeling because you overread/misinterpret but this does not imply that the question per se was flawed....
Absolutely, I could not agree more. I've carefully and loudly echoed to GARP this concern in a very detailed memo (among several other findings/suggestions in a 16-page memo). We have hundreds of examples in this forum where somebody submits a question (from whatever source) because they have "doubts" or "confusion," only to discover upon analysis that the question is imprecise or flawed. A new learner (e.g., a Part 1 FRM candidate) by definition often has a hard time discerning between a difficult question and a flawed question (I mean, obviously, right?)

Last edited:

nikic

So hmm...are you saying EVERYONE sits for the SAME paper? Cause that's pretty unfair. I sat for it this morning (8 hours ago) and I don't think Americans have set for it just yet.

Yairw

I live in Israel and we will take the exam only on Tuesday. We have a national state holiday here, the jewish holiday of 'Shavuot" (David mentioned it too in GARP's request).
It's the first time that the holiday coincides with the exam date - third Saturday of May, at least in the last decade or so, as far as I know (since Israelis have begun to take the FRM exam in an organized manner). Usually the exam takes place on Sunday in Israel but due to the holiday, GARP postponed it to Tuesday.
Maybe other Jewish candidates from around the world also take the exam on Tuesday, I don't know about that.
So that is the reason GARP asked not to talk about the exan until Tuesday.

Last edited:

gcoble

Agree with @nikic ... took & passed Level 1 last May and saw some specific questions mentioned from candidates in other time zones, i.e there is this certain twist on the general Expected Loss question where you need to think about XYZ. I don't remember the specifics, but there is certainly an advantage to taking it later chronologically.

Edit: to clarify, I saw the posts after I sat for the exam, but looking at the time stamps they were up prior to starting my exam and I could’ve seen them, which would have given me an edge. Especially because they focused on the more out of left field questions.

Last edited:

nikic

@nikic would it be more fair if each geography sat for a different test (I think people would think that would be less fair)?

Given that I can easily recall 20-30 questions and some pretty specific theory questions...yes I think it would be better if we set for different tests. Or sat for them all at once (allowance of 4 hour range).

As it is, if I had a buddy in the USA I could share the questions with that person and he/she would easily pass. It makes me worried cause what's stopping Americans from planting a mole in NZ or Malaysia and feeding themselves later that day?

In GCE A-Levels this issue did not exist because there were three regions each having a distinct set of questions - every candidate from each region sat for the paper at a common time withing a 3 hour allowance range.

Now I feel kinda cheated that those of us who take the paper early risk being at a significant disadvantage to Americans and Europeans.

mssnal

I came across feedback from previous exam takers and kept that in mind while revising my schweser material and it was of enormous help during the exam today. I think if someone gets to talk to a candidate who took the exam earlier, the exam would basically be a piece of cake.

nikic

I came across feedback from previous exam takers and kept that in mind while revising my schweser material and it was of enormous help during the exam today. I think if someone gets to talk to a candidate who took the exam earlier, the exam would basically be a piece of cake.

Just to clarify, previous exam takers meaning from previous exam years, or from earlier today?

mssnal

Just to clarify, previous exam takers meaning from previous exam years, or from earlier today?
The experiences shared by candidates who appeared for the exams in the last three years. I am saying if a previous year's feedback could help that much, someone getting the same year's feedback (in fact the same paper) would be at a great advantage over those who took the exam earlier in May 19, 2018.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
This is the reason that we ask that nobody post about the exam until the last exam is finished. This year, that date happens to be Tuesday.

Urina

Hi any feedback about the Exam,
I did not have enough time to answer most of the questions.
and i think the exam was very hard.

someone else fell the same ?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi any feedback about the Exam,
I did not have enough time to answer most of the questions.
and i think the exam was very hard.

someone else fell the same ?
Hello @Urina

I moved your post here where we have asked that you do not post any feedback about the exam until Tuesday evening EST. Please see the original post here.

Thank you,

Nicole

terrance00232

I just wondering why there's nobody discussed the examination here this year and now I see.
Btw, I live in Asia (Taiwan) and I probably be an earlier FRM exam taker all the time.
However, I saw the information above that Nicole and David received from GARP.
I don't really think the issue could solve easily in this way.
I mean it's hard to prevent any exam discussion anywhere on the worldwide web.

Anyway, I still hope that everyone here can pass the examination ASAP. Cheers.
(Pls forgive my poor English)

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
If you have posted about the exam at all and don't see your post, it means we have hidden it from public view. We have to follow GARP's request not to allow ANY posts about the exam. We understand this is frustrating.

Does anybody know how to file a formal grievance with GARP regarding their proctors? Anybody here who sat for the May 2018 exam in London Ibis can attest that a lot of irregularities happened during that day. The most obvious being the late start of the registration, that resulted in cramming the venue lobby.

nikic

Mr David Harper, can I ask for your help? I actually did speak with my proctors regarding an issue I had. I accidentally shaded the wrong digits of my GARP registration number. I asked for an eraser to correct it, they said no can do. I asked for a new answer sheet, they said no can do. The proctor said my paper will be marked just fine...but I can't take his word for it. As it is, my GARP first digit has two shaded first digits. I did write out the correct registration number though.

Do you think I can contact GARP to clarify this? I really, really would be disappointed if all the hundreds of hours of work I put into preparing these past few months goes to waste.

I genuinely think I have a shot at passing the paper, but I would hate to be disqualified due to an unenforced error that I did not seem to have been immediately able to correct.

Mr David Harper if you can help me here in any which way I would be immensely helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Mr David Harper, can I ask for your help? I actually did speak with my proctors regarding an issue I had. I accidentally shaded the wrong first digit of my GARP registration number. I asked for an eraser to correct it, they said no can do. I asked for a new answer sheet, they said no can do. The proctor said my paper will be marked just fine...but I can't take his word for it. As it is, my GARP first digit has two shaded first digits. I did write out the correct registration number though.

Do you think I can contact GARP? This isn't fair cause my whole life I've been able to use an eraser.

I genuinely think I have a shot at passing the paper, but I would hate to fail due to an unenforced error that I did not seem to have been immediately able to correct.

Mr David Harper if you can help me here in any which way I would be immensely helpful.

Thanks!
Hello @nikic

I recommend that you contact GARP member services. They will be able to answer your concerns regarding this issue. Their phone number is: +1 201 719 7210.

Thank you,
Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.