I can use advice and support!

GoingForFRM

Subscriber
Dear all,

How to combine FRM with work and life at home, including a 3 year old thats the question...

I studied economics (long time ago) but always had q bit of "fear" for formula's. I want to conquer that fear. I note that the FRM I is, for me, quite quantitative, i need to brush up and update my statistics and math knowledge.

Today I took a day of to study, i stranded a bit on the formulas. Felt not happy.

Anyone who can relate to the above? Any tips, advice, support!
I can use it.

Greetings, Paul

Mkaim

Subscriber
Dear all,

How to combine FRM with work and life at home, including a 3 year old thats the question...

I studied economics (long time ago) but always had q bit of "fear" for formula's. I want to conquer that fear. I note that the FRM I is, for me, quite quantitative, i need to brush up and update my statistics and math knowledge.

Today I took a day of to study, i stranded a bit on the formulas. Felt not happy.

Anyone who can relate to the above? Any tips, advice, support!
I can use it.

Greetings, Paul
Hi Paul,

There is no rocket science here, just a lot of work. Though I can't relate to having child part, I can relate to having a fear of formulas and quant items. I never liked math growing up, but still decided to pursue a degree in Finance, CFA, and FRM only because I enjoy conquering my fears similar to you. In your case, I would suggest thorough planning as a must. You should get on a 6 month plan for each level where you would study 1 hour a day on work days and 10 to 12 hrs on weekends; sounds like a lot but a year passes by quick (for both levels). The idea is to hit 400 hrs of total study time (more is always better). Make flash cards, don't let difficult items hold you back and just revisit them; have a list of items you don't understand and revisit those items once your done going over all the material. Try to finish going over all the material in the first 4 months and use month 5 to revisit difficult items and month 6 for practice exams. You CAN do it.

brian.field

Subscriber
I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. I prepared for and passed Level I about 2 years ago when my 4 year old was 2. I am and was not so concerned with how quickly I gain the certification, so I am moving a bit slower than most. That being said, it is certainly doable in 6 months to 1 year. (I know a friend that passed both Levels in one sitting after studying for 2 week.....yeah, he is an anamoly).

@Mkaim's advice is spot-on.

I would add that it is not reasonable, in my opinion, to think you could commit an hour or more every single day as life happens and things change, although this is exactly what you might need to do if you are interested in gaining the certification as quickly as possible, as MKaim suggests. If you are less interested in passing the exam as quickly as possible, and more interested in truly learning the material, I would recommend a firm "commitment" to the material. I mean that this can't be a passing interest. If you aren't really interested in the material, I don't think you will have much success. I can promise you that it is very rewarding when things begin to make sense and when you can look back and realize just how much you have learned!

As I always say, Go For It!

Brian

Mkaim

Subscriber
Hi Paul,

There is no rocket science here, just a lot of work. Though I can't relate to having child part, I can relate to having a fear of formulas and quant items. I never liked math growing up, but still decided to pursue a degree in Finance, CFA, and FRM only because I enjoy conquering my fears similar to you. In your case, I would suggest thorough planning as a must. You should get on a 6 month plan for each level where you would study 1 hour a day on work days and 10 to 12 hrs on weekends; sounds like a lot but a year passes by quick (for both levels). The idea is to hit 400 hrs of total study time (more is always better). Make flash cards, don't let difficult items hold you back and just revisit them; have a list of items you don't understand and revisit those items once your done going over all the material. Try to finish going over all the material in the first 4 months and use month 5 to revisit difficult items and month 6 for practice exams. You CAN do it.

Definitely agree with @brian.field . Plus his situation seems to be much closer to yours.

GoingForFRM

Subscriber
Dear all,

Thanks for the positive messages and advice!

@Mkaim
You energized me to take on the formulas!! Much appreciated!

@brian.field Great how you made it with the busy family life. Speed is indeed not so important for me. Did the assigned reading change during the time you studied? Were the changes big?

Kind regards,
Paul

Mkaim

Subscriber
Dear all,

Thanks for the positive messages and advice!

@Mkaim
You energized me to take on the formulas!! Much appreciated!

@brian.field Great how you made it with the busy family life. Speed is indeed not so important for me. Did the assigned reading change during the time you studied? Were the changes big?

Kind regards,
Paul
Not a problem at all. Also keep in mind that the forum in BT (Bionic Turtle) is a great way to get your questions answered. Chances are someone has already asked the questions you have in the problem set specific forum. David, Nicole, and participants of the forum are generally helpful as long as you show you've done your diligence and also participate in helping others [I am not endorsed by BT, I did not receive any monetary compensation, Starbucks, or Amazon gift cards for mentioning this :-( ]

Mkaim

Subscriber
And......I might add one more thing. It is a great place to build relationships with your future bosses - you know, those that will rule the world! I am sure we'll all be working for @Mkaim, @Deepak Chitnis, and @QuantMan2318 in the future!

You're too kind, Brian. I doubt any one of you will be working for me, not because you won't qualify but because you all are way ahead of me in terms of experience and knowledge. Now Mr @QuantMan2318 on the other hand, yeah chances are he's going to be ruling the world and I'll be standing in a line with my resume for him to interview me.

Mkaim

Subscriber
You're too kind, Brian. I doubt any one of you will be working for me, not because you won't qualify but because ya'll are way ahead of me in terms of knowledge and experience. Now Mr @QuantMan2318 on the other hand, yeah chances are he's going to be ruling the world and I'll be standing in a line with my resume for him to interview me.

Deepak Chitnis

Subscriber
Hi @brian.field , Thank you for the kind words, but I must say I am not graduated yet my journey is way too long yet:D, but I am sure @QuantMan2318 , @Mkaim and specially you are going to be the great CRO and risk analyst in upcoming years!!!!
Thank you:)

Last edited:

QuantMan2318

Subscriber
Dear @Mkaim, you are impressive yourself, so why are you denigrating yourself? Chances are that you may get a better position or place in life than me. We are but instruments of Destiny and what we make of our Destiny can only take us so far. So, if you have a Startup, please don't hesitate to add me as your employee.;)

@Deepak Chitnis, Thanks for your kind words as well, you will rise to become a CRO after your graduation, it may be delayed but not denied;)