How to Plan for FRM Level 1?

Pegasus21

Hi,
I am planning to take May 2014 FRM L1. Can you please guide me how to start and plan.Will 6 months be sufficient for its preparation. Out of the three mentioned :Basic, Advanced and Professional, which should I opt.Can you please guide me asap?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Pegasus21 GARP just yesterday released the 2014 AIMs. We are currently analyzing them. (Given tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, I won't post an analysis until next week). Yes, 6 months is sufficient. With respect to packages, my basic guidance is:
  • If you don't know why you might want Professional, you do not need Professional: it gives access to the spreadsheets, which require some engagement but give unequivocally concrete "illustrations." Customers who consume XLS have a good reason, typically. Then the issue is:
  • Do you want or need videos? If yes, Advanced
  • If no, and questions and notes are sufficient, then Basic
I hope that helps, thanks, David

cc: @Suzanne Evans
cc: @Nicole M

diwip

hi there,

What would be an efficient approach?
For each topic
1) Watch the video
2) Read the study note
3) Read/Try the questions

Anywhere I can find the estimated time each section is taking to complete?
Where can I find the related readings in case I need a deeper understanding?

Many thanks!

Heidi

Subscriber
Hello David,

I am also interested in the most efficient approach in preparing for the FRM May 2014 part 1 exams.
Any input will be most appreciated.

Thanks

shallabhkhera

I've bought the Professional material today - hope that is for 2014 and the materials are updated on an ongoing basis .

As I want to sit for PartI in May'2014 and hopefully for PartII in Nov'2014.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@machaang and @shallabhkhera,

We just received the updated 2014 curriculum so we are working very hard on updating our website as soon as possible. Immediately after the New Year, we will begin to publish updated 2014 materials, and we will also provide the publishing calendar (we will publish from January to the end of April). You will have access to your purchased materials for one year from your date of purchase. This includes all updates that are published during that time period. We appreciate your patience and thank you for utilizing Bionic Turtle for your FRM preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @machaang Yes, they do test from "freely available readings." Although the GARP syllabus includes a mix of purchased and free readings (which is a function more of their license/copyright requirements), the exam itself makes absolutely no distinction between free/paid readings. Thanks,

Please note: This reply is actually from @David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM who was inadvertently logged in as a super admin when he posted this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_phil

Hi Nicole, if it is the case that you are still to update materials based on the 2014 curriculum, would it be safe to still go through your current materials? I want to have a head start in reading but my worry is that some of what I would study (BT current reference materials) may not be included in the 2014 curriculum. Thanks!

Mubashir

Dear David/ Nicole,

Trust this finds you well.

My understanding is that the currently available materials are relevant to the 2013 exams. I wanted to confirm if I purchase the package right now, will I be entitled to the updates for the 2014 materials. Simply put, do I pay two times if I buy the material available right now.

Thanks.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Jack_phil,

In my opinion, if you would like to get a head start in reading, it would still benefit you to go through our current materials. Although there is going to be new materials published beginning after the New Year, there is still a great deal of material on our website that would help you in preparing for the 2014 FRM exams.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Mubashir,

If you purchase a package right now, you will have access to those materials purchased for approximately one year. This includes all of the 2014 updates that will be published to our website. Immediately after the New Year, we will begin to publish updated 2014 materials, and we will also provide the publishing calendar (we will publish from January to the end of April). Therefore, you will not have to purchase our materials twice during the 2014 exam year. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Mubashir

@Mubashir,

If you purchase a package right now, you will have access to those materials purchased for approximately one year. This includes all of the 2014 updates that will be published to our website. Immediately after the New Year, we will begin to publish updated 2014 materials, and we will also provide the publishing calendar (we will publish from January to the end of April). Therefore, you will not have to purchase our materials twice during the 2014 exam year. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks for the clarification Nicole. Much appreciated.

Mubashir Khan, CFA.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@shallabhkhera,

It is definitely a good idea to go through the current material to begin your preparation for the exam in May. When we begin publishing new materials on our website in January, there will be a "New" symbol next to the new materials so it will be very easy for you to differentiate between the old and new materials. In addition to publishing the new materials on the website, we will also provide the publishing calendar (we will publish from January to the end of April).

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@jawadkhan,

We understand how important it is for you to have updated materials so we will be sure to keep all of the materials updated on our website so you will have access to the most up-to-date materials for your preparation for the FRM exam. Thank you for using Bionic Turtle to help you in your preparation!