FAQ After Exam holder vs charter

JYP

Hi guys

After searching for some information, I found someone differentiate between FRM "holder" and FRM "charter"
I passed frm part 1 in May 2017 and frm part 2 in Nov 2017 exam.
Before I submit 2 years work experience, what is the status? Is it holder or charter?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @JYP I am always forgetting how to use "FRM" in a sentence. @Nicole Seaman do you happen to know of any resource; e.g., the GARP Code of Conduct (R12.T1) does not appear to speak to this.

Below I copied from GARP's website FAQ, such that clearly appropriate is "Certified FRM" (and not as some have written "Designated FRM") but the issue to be exact is the following, which of these are appropriate/inappropriate: "FRM holder," "FRM charter" (this is unusual, IMO), or "FRM certificant." In the case of the CFA Institute, of course they are very precise. CFA is not a noun but rather an adjective; so you should say "CFA charterholder" but you should not say "I am a CFA" because it uses the mark as a noun. GARP does not appear to take this approach, as their own FAQ uses the mark as a noun "As a Certified FRM ... " In which case, perhaps all of the above approaches are incorrect for using the mark as a (sort of) adjective. Thanks!

How to use the FRM Designation:
  • After your name in written correspondence and/or as part of your email signature
  • After your name on business cards, letterheads and/or name plates
  • As an identifier in resumes, curriculum vitaes, biographies, personal statements and/or published articles
  • Opt-in to the Certified FRM Directory; a searchable registry and community of only Certified FRMs and Certified ERPs.
Proper Usage of the FRM Designation

The FRM designation adds significant value to your credentials. Having earned the FRM certification, you are eligible and encouraged to acknowledge your achievement by using the certification designation on your business cards and where appropriate in your business activities.

The FRM Designation should only be used as follows:

• FRM
  • Certified FRM
  • Financial Risk Manager - Certified by the Global Association of Risk Professionals
If you are a dual Certified ERP and Certified FRM - how to use both designations

• FRM, ERP
  • Certified FRM, Certified ERP
  • Financial Risk Manager & Energy Risk Professional - Certified by the Global Association of Risk Professionals
source: http://www.garp.org/#!/frm/frequently-asked-questions#frm-certification-process

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @JYP I am always forgetting how to use "FRM" in a sentence. @Nicole Seaman do you happen to know of any resource; e.g., the GARP Code of Conduct (R12.T1) does not appear to speak to this.

Below I copied from GARP's website FAQ, such that clearly appropriate is "Certified FRM" (and not as some have written "Designated FRM") but the issue to be exact is the following, which of these are appropriate/inappropriate: "FRM holder," "FRM charter" (this is unusual, IMO), or "FRM certificant." In the case of the CFA Institute, of course they are very precise. CFA is not a noun but rather an adjective; so you should say "CFA charterholder" but you should not say "I am a CFA" because it uses the mark as a noun. GARP does not appear to take this approach, as their own FAQ uses the mark as a noun "As a Certified FRM ... " In which case, perhaps all of the above approaches are incorrect for using the mark as a short of adjective. Thanks!

@David Harper CFA FRM I can look for further resources that discuss this, but I do not know of any off of the top of my head besides the GARP webpage that you provided.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Thank you @David Harper CFA FRM for answering such a great reply!!

Sorry for asking one more question here, but I recently find this webpage, which is http://www.garp.org/#!/frm/our-passed-frms/frm2/2017-11-18 and when I search my full name, there isn't my name!!!:(
I received GARP email that I passed FRM part 2 yesterday, which is also weird:oops:
Is it just a mistake or should I be taken serious??
Hello @JYP

GARP may still be updating the website with this information, even though they sent out the emails already. I would suggest contacting GARP member services if you do not see your name listed in the next couple of days.

Nicole