FRM 2011 results

trabala38

Hello everyone,

I passed Level 1 ! 1st quartile in each category. I am quite happy.

I have to say : BT really prepares for the exam with its practice questions. I think the practice questions really go deep into each topic/reading, which, I believe, is the key success factor for FRM exam.

Thanks David and please continue with your quality questions.

Regards,

Trabala38

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@Trabala38: congrats on 1st quartile in each category! I am so grateful for your comment (it thrills me, actually). I do 100% agree with your implication that a key success factor is the quality (& depth) of practice questions. I did not start with this view but evolved toward it. With each successive exam cycle, I have increasingly realized that quality practice questions are the key to engagement and retention (including my own), and i think, passing. Reading/viewing are toward the passive end, but questions force engagement.

But many candidates (buyers) do not frankly necessarily purchase question depth/quality. Depth is not an obvious buying criteria for everybody. Many buy packaging elements. In regard to questions, our most common inquiry is "how many practices questions do you have?" And, as i write daily, we do have many, but: quantity in isolation is a poor criteria (and for those who want to bolster this number, it is incredibly easy to game it). We never seemed to get shopped on depth/quality of question ...

If we employed solely a marketing/sales viewpoint, quality/depth of question would get less weight as I would spend more time on the stuff that the average buyer thinks they need. But I can't stop writing them, really, because even just for myself it is only after the *discipline* of writing the fresh practice questions (and writing a question is not wholly different than answering/working the question!), do i start to really retain. So, writing new PQ consumes a lot of my time, and it is often tedious, but i think it's the key discipline ... it is a long way to say that I really appreciate your sentence and the underlines emphasis. Your specific support exactly confirms and respects my own priorities. Put another way, since questions are the first thing i do every day for sometimes up to a few hours, thank you for supporting it.

Thanks!

Leli

"We never seemed to get shopped on depth/quality of question" you're wrong ! That's why i came this year for part II ! I passed part I (Q2,Q1,Q2,Q1) with schweser only (so it seems enough to pass), but to my eyes, not enough explanations in answers of questions. Sometimes, i had to learn a method, without understanding it and it really disppointed me...
I've read (and done) all your sample sheets before part I exam and that's what convinced me :)

CharlyZzz

Appreciate advice for non finance background candidate.
Is it we need to derive formula from FRM exam and understand it? or we just need to use the formula?

Thank you

Ankur S

Charly,

There is no formula derivation in exam, however it helps you to fundamentally understand it's composition as that will help in applying that in exam as sometimes the ques can be twisted.

Hope it helps.

Have not been on here in a while, but yes. Passed with 1st quartile in all four sections for level 1. Many thanks to David, his staff and everyone else on here who posted questions or responses on a regular basis. Could not have done it alone.