FAQ Exam Exam Day

Peterfcm

Hi,

I know this sounds like a silly question, but how does scratch paper work during the exam? Sometimes at home I can easily fill up an entire page for one problem. 100 questions, and let's say 50 involve computations, even if I am tight I might use 10 to 20 pages.

What do they give you to work on during the exam? A marker board you have to constantly erase?

Thanks,

Sixcarbs
It was a surprise to me. But scribbling in tiny pencil is all you can do. until your pencil gets blunt and then you scribble in larger messy font.... was a right pain.

Irina1609T

Hi guys,

I have a following question, I have just completed the FRM part 1 exam. I got very stressed as I couldn't hear the instructions really well in the beginning (I was sitting at the back of the room) and I separated the final answer sheet from the carbon paper underneath which means that I filled in the answers only on the final answer sheet and they did not get copied on the carbon paper. I have asked one of the instructors at the end who was collecting my booklet whether that's OK and she said it is. But I am not 100% sure that GARP will accept my answers now. Did similar thing happen before, should I be worried, should I contact GARP regarding this?

Detective

It's fine. Removing the answer sheet from the booklet is honestly the hardest part of the exam. I did what you did in May.

For part 1 in May I tried to manually hold both sheets together when filling in the whole exam, but the bubbles were not really aligned in main sheet and carbon copy sheet. Half way through the exam I gave up trying to align them and asked one of the proctors if the carbon sheet mattered, and they said it didn't matter. I also emailed GARP if I should be concerned and this is what they said:

Dear X,

Thank you for your inquiry. Don't be too anxious, We have a comprehensive scoring process to make sure every candidate's answer sheet is scored correctly and appropriately. Normally, Even the machine cannot recognize the candidate's answer sheet, We will take the answer sheet out and score it manually. That's why the whole score process will take around 1 month to complete! After the release of exam results, each candidate still has 30 days to appeal and Request Retabulation regards your exam results on your GARP portal. Good luck!

If you have any other questions and concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Member Services at GARP.

Sincerely,

-------
I ended up passing part 1 in May, so I don't think it mattered. So I think you should be OK. I'm not sure what function the carbon copy sheet really serves, but I guess it's some sort of extra check on GARP's part to ensure no cheating or manipulation of answer sheet.

If you want the extra peace of mind, feel free to email GARP.

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
It's fine. Removing the answer sheet from the booklet is honestly the hardest part of the exam. I did what you did in May.

For part 1 in May I tried to manually hold both sheets together when filling in the whole exam, but the bubbles were not really aligned in main sheet and carbon copy sheet. Half way through the exam I gave up trying to align them and asked one of the proctors if the carbon sheet mattered, and they said it didn't matter. I also emailed GARP if I should be concerned and this is what they said:

Dear X,

Thank you for your inquiry. Don't be too anxious, We have a comprehensive scoring process to make sure every candidate's answer sheet is scored correctly and appropriately. Normally, Even the machine cannot recognize the candidate's answer sheet, We will take the answer sheet out and score it manually. That's why the whole score process will take around 1 month to complete! After the release of exam results, each candidate still has 30 days to appeal and Request Retabulation regards your exam results on your GARP portal. Good luck!

If you have any other questions and concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Member Services at GARP.

Sincerely,

-------
I ended up passing part 1 in May, so I don't think it mattered. So I think you should be OK. I'm not sure what function the carbon copy sheet really serves, but I guess it's some sort of extra check on GARP's part to ensure no cheating or manipulation of answer sheet.

If you want the extra peace of mind, feel free to email GARP.

I think it is because of something someone posted here a few cycles ago. He took the exam somewhere, maybe South America, and FedEx lost the package with the exams. So they probably hold the carbons in the exam city in case the originals don't make it.

Correction:

It was Lisbon and UPS.

https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/garp-lost-frm-november-part-ii-exams.13366/#post-56500

Last edited:

Sixcarbs

Subscriber
Dear X,

Sincerely,

-------

Hi Detective,

Just re-read this. Look how silly what I put in bold sounds. Under normal circumstances their machine cannot recognize the answers. They must have dropped an "If."

I haven't taken an exam with those pencil filled bubbles since the 70's. I can't believe they are still in use.

I guess, since they only test twice a year using identical questions for each exam, that rules out commandeering all of the computer testing centers that are used for FINRA and many other exams. Probably not enough seats worldwide to seat everyone at once.

For what they charge they could hand out Chromebooks (with disabled internet) for the exam, and allow everyone to keep them at the end. I'm sure they could them for a good price if they buy 30,000 of them, and then save on processing all of the paper.

Sixcarbs

Eustice_Langham

Hi, not having sat a FRM exam before I was hoping someone who has can provide me with some information on what is provided. Specifically, how much paper is provided for workings etc to answer questions. It may seem like a silly question but I have read that only minimal paper is provided and you cannot ask for more paper once you have used up your allotment. This seems stupid to me. Another question is can you write on the question booklet as well? Thanks

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi, not having sat a FRM exam before I was hoping someone who has can provide me with some information on what is provided. Specifically, how much paper is provided for workings etc to answer questions. It may seem like a silly question but I have read that only minimal paper is provided and you cannot ask for more paper once you have used up your allotment. This seems stupid to me. Another question is can you write on the question booklet as well? Thanks
Hello @Eustice_Langham

I moved your post to this thread that discusses questions about exam day. Your question is answered within the comments of this thread, but GARP does not provide extra paper. The exam booklet has space for you to do your calculations.

pnunep

Hi everybody,

I have read in this post that sharpeners were previously allowed. However, according to GARP Exam Policies, they are not anymore:

"The following items MUST be kept on the candidate's table or desk during the Exam:
  • The candidate's printed Admission Ticket
  • The candidate's original government issued passport or driver's license
  • GARP-supplied pencils; Note: Erasers or pencil sharpeners are not allowed in the exam room."
In addition, my admission ticket says they will provide just 2 pencils. Did anyone who took the exam in 2019 had to follow this policy? Just two pencial without a sharpener for 100 questions with all the calculus seems extra trouble. Thanks.

Eustice_Langham

Hi everybody,

I have read in this post that sharpeners were previously allowed. However, according to GARP Exam Policies, they are not anymore:

"The following items MUST be kept on the candidate's table or desk during the Exam:
  • The candidate's printed Admission Ticket
  • The candidate's original government issued passport or driver's license
  • GARP-supplied pencils; Note: Erasers or pencil sharpeners are not allowed in the exam room."
In addition, my admission ticket says they will provide just 2 pencils. Did anyone who took the exam in 2019 had to follow this policy? Just two pencial without a sharpener for 100 questions with all the calculus seems extra trouble. Thanks.
Thanks...agree two pencils for 100 questions, no sharpeners....doesnt sound right to me. What if you mark an answer then wish to change the answer?

umangmahajan9

I have quick question about writing material, can anyone tell me are we allowed to take Eraser and sharper with us?
let me know if you're 100% sure.

Thanks