Distressed investing

tpchan

Hi David,

On T8 study note p.74, it says the loss on bond position is $200 per bond based on the assumption of unfavorable outcome. Would you please demonstrate how to come up with this $200 loss per bond? I have spent some time on it but in vain.

Thank you.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi tpchan,

The scenario notes are simply based on the assigned Stowell reading, Exhibit 12.20 on page 237, which itself is not well-explained. I think:
  • The original distressed company has an enterprise value of $3.3 billion = $3.0 billion in debt + $300 billion in equity ($3 per share * 100 MM shares)
    • $3.0 BB debt = trading at a deep discount amount of $30 per 100 face = $10.0 billion face value
  • Then downside risk scenario causes a drop to $2.0 billion in enterprise value [text says 20 billion, but a I *think* scenario anticipates drop from $3.3 EV to 2.0 BB)
    • $1.0 billion in equity = $10 per share * 100 million shares, plus
    • $1.0 BB debt = $10.0 billion face value * 10% PV (not stated, far as i can tell, but rather implied by the given enterprise value and equity)
Such that long 1 bond at $300 (i.e., $30 per $100 with $1,000 face. A little awkward presentation, in my opinion) has loss of $200 per when price drops to $100 per bond (10% of $1,000 face value). I hope that explains, thanks,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
right, i think it's $2.0 billion. The text on p 237 say $20.0 billion but I *think* the example is confused by a multiple of 10. Actually, i think my initial equity is incorrect and should be $300 million. Changed that, too. I'm not completely sure, the example is hard to decipher. thanks,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
thanks b/c i am still trying to figure it out, it's the first time i looked at it closely :mad: ... i guess it is really a sort of "capital structure arbitrage" distressed bet where long bond + short equity is expecting to payoff under bankruptcy such that bonds payoff in liquidation but shareholders are wiped out so both trades profit.

Then, a downside (risk) outcome is the opposite: bond prices drop but equity increases because the assets are worthless but a regulatory-driven acquisition happens. So, the math seems to work: EV drops from 3.3 to $2.0 billion with debt dropping fully from $3.0 bb to $1.0 bb such that equity actually increases from $0.3 to $1.0 billion. So, long bond at $300 (30 per 100 face, face = $3,000) drops to 200; short equity at $300 million gains to $1.0 billion (100 mm shares = $7 per share)
... the $2.0 billion appears to be based on 10% probability of $20.0 EV of the acquiring company (due to a shift in regulation)
... actually it says share price would increase to "$10 per $100 face" (?)

okay, i am still not sure about the numbers above, sorry. Might be correct. Might all be off by a factor of 10.