Comparison of AIMs 2014 vs 2013

afterworkguinness

Hi Bionic Turtle team,
How do the AIMs for 2014 compare to 2013? I'm specifically interested in part 2, but I'm sure others will be interested in both.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@afterworkguinness,

Although many of the AIMs are the same, there are quite a few additions, especially in Part 2. This is a summary of our analysis that was done to compare the 2013 and 2014 AIMs.

Part 1, Topic 1 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 2 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 3 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 4 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.

Part 2, Topic 5 has three full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 6 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 7 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 8 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 9 has 6 full readings that have been added and five that were completely deleted from last year.

For further detail, here is an AIM-by-AIM comparison I prepared:

Part 1 Comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqycc8xryvfrnpa/2010 thru 2014 P1 AIM Comparison_v1.xlsx

Part 2 Comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jww6sx4nnm3ur51/2010 thru 2014 P2 AIM Comparison_v1 1213.xlsx

We are working very hard to get our materials updated to coincide with the 2014 curriculum, and we will begin publishing the updated materials very soon. We will also be providing a publishing calendar so you can see when specific readings will be published on our website.

Last edited:

Alex_1

@afterworkguinness,

Although many of the AIMs are the same, there are quite a few additions, especially in Part 2. This is a summary of our analysis that was done to compare the 2013 and 2014 AIMs.

Part 1, Topic 1 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 2 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 3 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 1, Topic 4 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.

Part 2, Topic 5 has three full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 6 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 7 has two full readings that have been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 8 has one full reading that has been added and a few changes to last year's readings.
Part 2, Topic 9 has 6 full readings that have been added and five that were completely deleted from last year.

Part 1 Comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqycc8xryvfrnpa/2010 thru 2014 P1 AIM Comparison_v1.xlsx

Part 2 Comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jww6sx4nnm3ur51/2010 thru 2014 P2 AIM Comparison_v1 1213.xlsx

We are working very hard to get our materials updated to coincide with the 2014 curriculum, and we will begin publishing the updated materials very soon. We will also be providing a publishing calendar so you can see when specific readings will be published on our website.

Hi Nicole, sorry to bother, but I can't seem to open the Excel sheets you have uploaded on dropbox, do you think it is possible to attach them to a post here in the forum or to send them via message? Thanks in advance!

nilz

Thanks David. Does that mean If i buy now I would be getting the latest material next week as well apart from the 2013 material that i would get now?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@nilz yes, absolutely. The subscription is good for one year and always includes the current (accumulated) material plus all updates during the subscription period, if I understand you correctly. Thanks,

Steve Jobs

Hi Nicole,

Can you please clarify what the blue and red colors in the comparison sheet mean?

And does the sheet include all topics/reading or only the changed topics/reading?

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Alex_1,

When you click on the link for the Excel files, it should allow you to download the file so you can view it. Please let me know if it is allowing you to download the file.

Thanks,

Nicole Manley

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Steve Jobs,

The comparison spreadsheet includes all readings. If the AIMs are black that means there is no change. Blue means that it has been added to the 2014 curriculum and red means that it has been deleted from the curriculum.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Bridgett27,

At this time, many of the materials on our site will not coincide with your 2014 books. This is because we have not yet published the updated materials for 2014. Once we begin publishing the updated materials this week, you will see that the new materials will match the 2014 books that you have.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @monsieuruzairo3 Yes, agreed. Good observation, GARP did drop Elton Chapter 5. I (merely) infer the theory is that its concepts (namely, volatility of two asset portfolio; covariance; and correlation) are mostly assumed in the retained Chapter 13 and somewhat replaced by new Bodie Chapter 10.

However, in the just-published Elton Chapter 13, I retained Elton 5 notes in the Appendix with the following note (as I perceive Chapter 5 remains highly relevant):

Elton Chapter 5 was assigned in 2013 but discontinued in 2014. We retain the notes for Chapter 5, here in an optional Appendix, only some of its concepts (two-asset variance, covariance and correlation) are inputs into Chapter 13.

Tipo

Subscriber
@afterworkguinness,

is it possible to request a reupload for P1??

Sureshdurai1

I am using the BT Focus Review videos and formula sheet for the revision of key concepts , but the focus review videos are from 2012 series. Any one could guide me on its relevance to the Nov 2014 Part 1 exam, I mean to ask, is there any significant deviation from the exam questioning pattern or difficulty level.

Warm Regards