CFA CFA candidates, take note of this case

vt2012

No news at all…

1. “CFA Program Testing Policies

To protect the integrity of the CFA Program and ensure the exam process is fair for all candidates, we enforce the following policies and procedures. Failure to comply may result in suspension or termination from the CFA Program.
It is your responsibility to read and understand all testing policies set forth by the CFA Program. Testing personnel will report to CFA Institute any violations of testing rules or policies that occur during the exam. Learn more about misconduct and rules violations.

2. “Misconduct and Rules Violations
If you engage in any misconduct during the exam, you may be dismissed from the test center and subject to other penalties, including voiding of exam results and suspension or termination of your candidacy in the CFA Program.
Misconduct includes:
· Creating a disturbance
· Giving or receiving help
· Opening, working on, or reading the exam during a time not authorized by the testing personnel
· Writing or erasing after instructed to stop
· Removing exam materials or notes from the testing room
· Taking part in an act of impersonation or other forms of cheating
· Failing to follow the directions of testing personnel
· Using books, unapproved calculators, headsets, rulers, listening devices, paging devices (beepers), mobile phones, recording or photographic devices, papers of any kind, or other aids
· Writing on the front or back of your exam admission ticket at any time (before, during, or after the exam)
· Failing to follow CFA Institute conditions, requirements, policies, or procedures

3. If I’m not mistaken, every time before exam you have to put your signature on the book, and there are (among other stuff) the following: (not literally) “…subject of misconduct are …cheating… or giving an appearance of doing so….”

4. Recipe is amazingly simple: sit still like rabbit and everything will be OK!
I did it 4 times! :)

Hend Abuenein

Hi
Thank you vt2012 for copying that.
Problem is:
If the man tells the truth, he can't prove it and hence remains at the mercy of their judgement of whether looking left and right while stretching muscles falls under "giving an appearance of cheating" or not!
A lot in their rules is subject to individual judgment. Theirs!

Would they accuse a cross eyed candidate of cheating because her gaze gave appearance that she is ? :p

That sitting rabbit scenario is going to give me trouble.
I'm prone to losing blood pressure from prolonged sitting, so in FRM exams I asked proctors for permission to walk around every half an hour or so in the back of the room. And they allowed it. I guess that won't happen with CFA exam. :(

vt2012

Hi Hend,

CFA exam differs VERY much from FRM one:
1. CFA session is: 3 hours exam + 2 hours break + 3 hours exam
2. Of course, you may leave the testroom; but you have to:
2.2.Raise your hand
2.3 Explain to proctor what you wanna do (in soft voice)

2.3 Bring all your stuff (Admission ticket, ID(s), booklet, answersheet, calculator) to the Head Proctor; you will go out with your ID (or admission ticket, don’t remember; never did it)
2.4 Leave the testroom
2.5 Make a piss (or trying to read something – no chance! Restrooms /toilets have already been inspected by junior proctors and all your stuff (books, Kaplan materials, your notes) disappeared!
2.6 Enter testroom
2.7 Show your ID
2.8 Wait for inspecting yourself
2.9 Wait for inspecting your calculator

3. Believe me, it does not pay! You are just wasting your VERY valuable time.
4. According to my experience ~ 1 of 20 people did it; after finding out disappearance of materials they came running back at supersonic speed!

As for me, I was always short of time at CFA exams…:(

NewComer

Hi
Thank you vt2012 for copying that.
Problem is:
If the man tells the truth, he can't prove it and hence remains at the mercy of their judgement of whether looking left and right while stretching muscles falls under "giving an appearance of cheating" or not!
A lot in their rules is subject to individual judgment. Theirs!

Would they accuse a cross eyed candidate of cheating because her gaze gave appearance that she is ? :p

That sitting rabbit scenario is going to give me trouble.
I'm prone to losing blood pressure from prolonged sitting, so in FRM exams I asked proctors for permission to walk around every half an hour or so in the back of the room. And they allowed it. I guess that won't happen with CFA exam. :(
"I asked proctors for permission to walk around every half an hour or so in the back of the room. And they allowed it. "
And what about other people?
Did not you think you distracted them?

Hend Abuenein

NewComer
It was a big hotel conference room, tickets on tables were some 12, but only 3 showed up :)
Plenty of room in the back without distracting others. Besides, I'm a soft walker :)

NewComer

Hi Hend,

Btw, "CFA LI Candidate" wording is the Standards' violation; tou may be penalized...
Correct wording is ~ "Level I Candidate in the CFA Program"...

Best

NewComer

Hi Hend,

I'm afraid, not...
Just take a look at Standards of Professional Conduct, last one (7th? or 8th? sorry, don't remember...)
You can get it on CFAI site.

Best

Hend Abuenein

Thanks again NewComer
I just read pages 179-181,
And there's nothing there that refers to what you corrected here ("CFA LI candidate" being improper reference to the candidacy), neither did I find reference to level of candidacy obligatory by any paragraph.

Referring to Candidacy in the CFA Program. Candidates in the CFA Program may refer to their participation in the CFA Program, but the reference
must clearly state that an individual is a candidate in the CFA Program and
must not imply that the candidate has achieved any type of partial designation

Please correct me if you see otherwise.
Thanks for bringing this up :)

Regards
Hend

vt2012

Come on,

P.181
Exhibit 3. Proper and Improper References to the CFA Designation

Proper References
“I passed Level I of the CFA exam.”
“I am a 2010 Level III CFA candidate.”
Improper References
“CFA, Level II”

P.183
Exhibit 4. Correct and Incorrect Use of the Chartered Financial Analyst and
CFA Marks

Correct
Level I candidate in the CFA Program.

Incorrect
CFA Level I.

Hend Abuenein

vt2012
in both improper cases you cited, what is wrong is absence of the word "candidate"...not the presence of "Level"

And I did call myself CFA LI Candidate in one incident, and CFA Candidate in another.

AND again, nothing in the Standard clearly says candidate must refer to Level of candidacy, but it clearly says that she must state candidacy in itself

Hend Abuenein

Hey Aleks :)
How have you been?

Yes, indeed, I procrastinate.
I discovered that it becomes a positive thing to procrastinate when stress and CFA curriculum conspire to cook your brain by slow steaming :confused: