2021 Exam Update from GARP (for 2020 postponed exam updates only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

walli26

CONFIRMED BY GARP:

"Yes, you are correct. The [Montreal] exam is expected to happen as scheduled. "

New restrictions in Montreal coming tomorrow. Unclear whether exams will take place. I hope the abovementioned exemption for "critical" exams remains in effect in Montreal...

Absolutely ridiculous how 12 people sitting in a room in Montreal to write an exam with masks on and social distancing in place could be forbidden, but the NHL is allowed to have 12 people on ice playing a contact sport, alcohol & Marijuana stores stay open in Quebec...

heard anything? I’m listening to it right now, but it doesn’t seem anything was mentioned regarding our exemption?

mattheweidinger

heard anything? I’m listening to it right now, but it doesn’t seem anything was mentioned regarding our exemption?

I have watched the Francois Legault-Christian Dube-DR Aruda 5PM press conference in its entirety today as well as the question period afterwards.

As I understand, hotels were not mentioned during the government press conference nor was any reversal of the November 2020 government decree permitting "critical events", such as professional examinations. After reviewing the content of the government press conference, I also understand that only "commerce related" activities will be closed during the next four weeks - effectively continuing the restrictions put in place between December 25 and January 11 applying to retailers, gyms, movie theatres, etc. Last, the curfew that was announced appears to only impact activities between the hours of 8PM and 5AM (20H - 5H). Since the FRM examinations take place between 8AM -12PM (part 1) and 2PM/14H - 6PM/18H (part 2), there is apparently no conflict with the exam schedule as it stands.

As such, it is clear to me that the examination should not be impacted by these new measures, since they appear to only impact other industries.

@tylerswob

Yes, postponed candidates will now be tested on the 2021 curriculum. GARP made very few changes in 2021. The only major additions are in the Current Issues topic in Part 2. I'm not sure if you have looked at our curriculum change XLS, but this is the link in case you would like to see the changes: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2020-2021-curriculum-change-analysis-spreadsheets.23609/. I hope that is helpful.
Hi Nicole,

I understand that postponed people who would be tested in May would be tested on 2021 c. However, I cannot find this information anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thank you.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
FYI: This is dated January 5th but was not posted on the website until last night or this morning

UPDATE: JAN 5, 2021
DUBLIN, IRELAND JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Dublin, Ireland. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window once scheduling opens on December 15 by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam. There is nothing that you need to do.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole,

I understand that postponed people who would be tested in May would be tested on 2021 c. However, I cannot find this information anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thank you.
Hello @Serdar7891

There is not a link with information about this as far as I know. This is just what we were told during the prep provider call with GARP last month. I will see if there is anything I can do to get written confirmation of this for the 2020 candidates.

mattheweidinger

I have watched the Francois Legault-Christian Dube-DR Aruda 5PM press conference in its entirety today as well as the question period afterwards.

As I understand, hotels were not mentioned during the government press conference nor was any reversal of the November 2020 government decree permitting "critical events", such as professional examinations. After reviewing the content of the government press conference, I also understand that only "commerce related" activities will be closed during the next four weeks - effectively continuing the restrictions put in place between December 25 and January 11 applying to retailers, gyms, movie theatres, etc. Last, the curfew that was announced appears to only impact activities between the hours of 8PM and 5AM (20H - 5H). Since the FRM examinations take place between 8AM -12PM (part 1) and 2PM/14H - 6PM/18H (part 2), there is apparently no conflict with the exam schedule as it stands.

As such, it is clear to me that the examination should not be impacted by these new measures, since they appear to only impact other industries.

Further, Quebec Government decree to "Public Health Law" appears to remain in effect.

Source: Government website below.

https://cdn-contenu.quebec.ca/cdn-c...dm/lois-reglements/AM_2020-081.pdf?1603382645

mattheweidinger

For all FRM Montreal candidates:

I have called Quebec health authorities this morning and CONFIRMED based on the information contained on their website, yesterday's press conference from the premier and health officials, and the circumstances surrounding the administration of the FRM/GARP exams, that the exams ARE PERMITTED to go ahead in Montreal next Saturday.

evelyn.peng

I have called Quebec health authorities this morning and CONFIRMED based on the information contained on their website, yesterday's press conference from the premier and health officials, and the circumstances surrounding the administration of the FRM/GARP exams, that the exams ARE PERMITTED to go ahead in Montreal next Saturday.
Thank you so much for taking all the extra steps to confirm and sharing the information with us on this forum!

walli26

Thank you Matthew for this incredible DD!

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole, I understand that postponed people who would be tested in May would be tested on 2021 c. However, I cannot find this information anywhere. Do you have a link? Thank you.

Hello @Serdar7891

There is not a link with information about this as far as I know. This is just what we were told during the prep provider call with GARP last month. I will see if there is anything I can do to get written confirmation of this for the 2020 candidates.

I just received confirmation from GARP regarding the exams that will be postponed to May. They will be tested on the 2021 curriculum. January exams will be tested on the 2020 curriculum.

mattheweidinger

The Double Tree Hilton Hotel has advised me that they are still waiting on confirmation from their "association" concerning whether or not they can hold the FRM exams in MTL. However, I stand by my communications from earlier this morning - confirmed directly with the Quebec government this morning - that the Montreal, Quebec exams are permitted to go ahead as planned.

mbbx5va2

Subscriber
Thank you GARP thank you so much for pushing back the exam for yes the third time! I just love the paper and pencil exam. Whoever thought of a paper and pencil exam for multiple choice I commend you!

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: JAN 7, 2021
SAFETY UPDATES FOR CANDIDATES TAKING JANUARY EXAM IN MELBOURNE

GARP is committed to providing a safe testing environment for our candidates. In accordance with the Victorian Government of Australia, we have registered and received approval to proceed with our examination as scheduled. Here you will find the COVIDSafe Event Checklist that was submitted to the Victorian Government, with the regulations and steps taken to ensure a safe testing environment. Please note: There is nothing you are required to do prior to the Exam.

UPDATE: JAN 7, 2021
LONDON JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in London. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam.

Intbrok

For the members taking the exam in Frankfurt: were you able to schedule a slot for May 2021? I am taking Part I, the system didn’t find anything in Frankfurt and automatically offered me Munich... Can it happen that there are absolutely no more free slots for May in Frankfurt?!

Katrin

For the members taking the exam in Frankfurt: were you able to schedule a slot for May 2021? I am taking Part I, the system didn’t find anything in Frankfurt and automatically offered me Munich... Can it happen that there are absolutely no more free slots for May in Frankfurt?!

I have/ had the same problem, contacted PSI and received the following information:

Schedules and centers for May are not yet updated. Please check back around 2nd week of February as that would be when the schedules for 2nd quarter of the year will be updated.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: JAN 8, 2021
ITALY JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Italy. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman ,
I am a part 2 deferred candidate for January 2021. If I fail the part 2 exam in January, 2021, am I eligible to appear in the May 2021 part 2 Exams?
Hello @sksiddhantkhandelwal

This is something that you would need to contact GARP about directly. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer questions about deferments or your specific situation, as we are not directly affiliated with GARP. We are a third-party prep provider.

Intbrok

I have/ had the same problem, contacted PSI and received the following information:

Schedules and centers for May are not yet updated. Please check back around 2nd week of February as that would be when the schedules for 2nd quarter of the year will be updated.
I contacted them as well but haven’t got a reply yet. Many thanks for sharing the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.