2021 Exam Update from GARP (for 2020 postponed exam updates only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi,
I know for the May 2021 exam, we will be tested on the new FRM r

Hi Nicole,

At the risk of being overly cautious, I wanted to confirm that the 2021 curriculum changes does NOT apply to the January 16 exam. I can call GARP to confirm but I feel the exam should have already been written/designed by now so there'd be not much time to incorporate new materials.
Thank you,
Evelyn
Hello @evelyn.peng

Candidates taking the January exam will be tested on the 2020 curriculum. Anyone taking the exams after January will be tested on the 2021 curriculum.

Headfield

Hey guys, quick question: as you know today GARP released the admission tickets with the exact exam location (in my case it's the NH Hotel Frankfurt airport west), so I called the place to know if they had any updates regarding the exam. However, I found out that the hotel is closed until further notice. Do you know if it's technically possible for GARP to hold the exam in a closed hotel? Has anyone heard anything similar to that happening for the October or November exam?

Thanks for sharing. Did you actually speak with someone on the phone or did your receive an automatic message? I wanted to call the hotel this week myself as this would also be my place for the exam.

lucalaboranti

Thanks for sharing. Did you actually speak with someone on the phone or did your receive an automatic message? I wanted to call the hotel this week myself as this would also be my place for the exam.
Hi Headfield, first I called the hotel, since there's nobody there I was redirected to the NH headquarters and they told me NH Frankfurt Airport west is closed. Also if you try to book a room around the exam day, the website says there's no availability.

1609829746296.png

I later called GARP and they told me with their usual professionalism that they have no clue.

At this point I don't know what to make of this... Is GARP really so incompetent to book the event at a closed hotel? Is it just a placeholder for an eventual deferral (maybe a European-wide one since the situation and containment measures are pretty much the same around the continent)? Will they actually hold the exam in an hotel closed to the public?
I guess we'll find out very soon!

Headfield

@lucalaboranti: Thanks!

Let's see what happens.

And don't be to hard with those people on the phone: as it is an US-american organization you might expect them to be the last in the line to receive valid information i.e. they are not perceived to be "important".

mbbx5va2

Subscriber
Is anyone due to sit London January 16th? I'm resigned for this to be postponed in view of the national lockdown.

ag222

In Warsaw, Poland, the hotels are closed for regular accomodation, only some exceptions are allowed. I cannot imagine that events such as exams are allowed, especially that some participants travel. Also, partial lockodown has been announced days ago, and it is known that until 17th Jan nothing would change. And even if formally would, the pandemic situation and uncertainity would remain for a while.. GARP provides some updates, newsletter or info by email on a regular basis, it is hard to believe that exams are handled like that, and it is not the first time.

mattheweidinger

New restrictions in Montreal coming tomorrow. Unclear whether exams will take place. I hope the abovementioned exemption for "critical" exams remains in effect in Montreal...

Absolutely ridiculous how 12 people sitting in a room in Montreal to write an exam with masks on and social distancing in place could be forbidden, but the NHL is allowed to have 12 people on ice playing a contact sport, alcohol & Marijuana stores stay open in Quebec...

wojtek

In Warsaw, Poland, the hotels are closed for regular accomodation, only some exceptions are allowed. I cannot imagine that events such as exams are allowed, especially that some participants travel. Also, partial lockodown has been announced days ago, and it is known that until 17th Jan nothing would change. And even if formally would, the pandemic situation and uncertainity would remain for a while.. GARP provides some updates, newsletter or info by email on a regular basis, it is hard to believe that exams are handled like that, and it is not the first time.
I've just called Marriott Warsaw - the exam will not take place there due to the restrictions and the organizer has been notified.

evelyn.peng

New restrictions in Montreal coming tomorrow. Unclear whether exams will take place. I hope the abovementioned exemption for "critical" exams remains in effect in Montreal...

Absolutely ridiculous how 12 people sitting in a room in Montreal to write an exam with masks on and social distancing in place could be forbidden, but the NHL is allowed to have 12 people on ice playing a contact sport, alcohol & Marijuana stores stay open in Quebec...
I really hope the exam is not impacted as well. Will keep an eye on the news tomorrow.

mattheweidinger

*The year was 3187, the place was Jersey City, NJ. Tens of thousands of bystanders gathered outside 111 Town Square Place to watch the Global Association of Risk Professionals announce the annual "postponement" of the May 2020 FRM exams. No one knows how this odd tradition began, but each year it attracts many tourists and media outlets from all over the world...*

I hope GARP knows that we will eventually have to take these tests...

wojtek

*The year was 3187, the place was Jersey City, NJ. Tens of thousands of bystanders gathered outside 111 Town Square Place to watch the Global Association of Risk Professionals announce the annual "postponement" of the May 2020 FRM exams. No one knows how this odd tradition began, but each year it attracts many tourists and media outlets from all over the world...*

I hope GARP knows that we will eventually have to take these tests...
Due to the travel restrictions this anniversary was celebrated in various places around the world ...

Status
Not open for further replies.