2014 FRM Calendar

EK

Hello BT Team,
Can you shed some light on when the material will be updated to meet the aims for 2014 so that your students can plan their learning activities accordingly.
Thank you,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi EK, We've already started to update material. We will start to publish updated material immediately after the New Year, and also, at that time, we will share an updated calendar (that will run from Jan to the end of April). I'll post more here in the next week, as we develop the plan. Thanks,

Nitinpatil

Hi David, I want to know if it is possible to clear FRM 1 and 2 levels, if I start preparing from now on. I am comfortable with FRM 1 basics that's what my latest quartile results says Q4 in two section and Q3 in another two sections. Please let me know. Also I plan to opt for the advanced package to crack FRM at one go. Thanks so much.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
@Nitinpatil,

Yes it is definitely possible to pass FRM Part 1 and Part 2 in the same sitting. My advice is to just make sure that you are very comfortable with Part 1 so you will not have to concentrate so heavily on it at the same time as Part 2. If you are comfortable with the Part 1 materials and have continued to review them then it shouldn't be too difficult to take both exams in one sitting.

It also really depends on the individual person and how much time you have to devote to studying the materials. Everyone learns differently and at a different pace. I would suggest that you continue to utilize our forums to see which process other individuals used to pass both parts in one sitting. The forums can be very useful because there are many users that have great advice. Many of them have already taken the exams and some have taken both parts at the same time. Good luck!!!

Low

hi BT team,
just wondering whether I can start using the part 2 materials now in the planner or should I wait till the material's updated? cheers

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Low,

If you would like to get a head start in studying, it would still benefit you to go through our current materials. Although there is going to be new materials published very shortly, there is still a great deal of material on our website that would help you in preparing for the 2014 FRM exams. As we update the materials, there will be a "New" symbol next to the updated materials so it will be easy for you to see what is being published for 2014 as it comes out. Thank you for using Bionic Turtle!

Heidi

Subscriber
Hello BT team, will there be like a study calendar to guide on topics to complete week by week before the May 2014 exams?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Heidi

No, not that. I've been doing this for years, I tried that two years running and I can say with high confidence that it just does not work. GARP publishes a prep guide here https://www.garp.org/frm/study-center/study-materials/frm-exam-preparation-handbook.aspx, which contains, as I recall, weekly breakdowns.

What we will be publishing shortly is simply our target publish schedule (Jan to April). A few may decide to "follow along" with us more or less because, for some, it might be a natural sequence. (I originally started the daily practice question sets in order to promote regularity, but almost nobody follows me on that, so I retained it just as a "public discipline")

I would produce what you suggest, but candidly I know from experience it won't be highly used for two reasons:
  1. The more important reason: no two candidates have the same pace, such that it's impossible for the general candidate body to follow the same calendar! Take the easiest example, Quantitative Methods (or, Miller specifically). There are some candidates, due to their background, literally require almost no time here! On the other hand, there are some candidates with no exposure (totally new) who might have started months ago because they need a lot of time
  2. The less important reason: a human tendency to fall behind on the schedule, due to other life priorities, such that many candidates end up "back-loading" their prep
For these reasons, we prefer to share our target schedule and let it be a "soft opportunity" to which some can attach, I hope that explains, thanks!

frm_risk

I understand that we can purchase Part 1 materials from BT for May 2014 and then upgrade to Part 2 for May 2014, if we feel comfortable with Part 1 studies early on.

My question is regd. GARP - FRM. If I register for Part 1 May 2014 ONLY (and I have done that), is it possible to register for taking Part 2 later on for the same day? i.e. "upgrade" to take both exams?

I know I can try it out on the GARP website, but I don't want to mess up with exam registrations and accidentally re-register/cancel etc. - cannot take that risk.

Thanks in advance.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@frm_risk,

I am not 100% sure on the answer to your question. I searched for an answer for you on the GARP website. Although you can definitely register to sit for Parts 1 & 2 on the same day, they do not mention anything about changing your registration once you have already submitted it. Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend that you contact GARP directly so they can answer your question. Their contact page is located here: http://www.garp.org/garp/contact-us.aspx. I hope that this helps!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@frm_risk I agree with Nicole. My mere guess is that you would be able to "upgrade" prior to the deadline ( http://www.garp.org/frm/exam-overview/fees.aspx#Late%20Registration ), however, I don't have a direct experience with this action so I cannot say anything for certain. I also agree with Nicole that you should contact GARP.
(We do have a line to our GARP contacts, but to be honest, as they are busy and constantly receiving queries, we like to (strategically) save our queries for urgent matters--e.g., work experience confirmations that impact designation status--or issues that have general impact--e.g., AIM clarifications or queries that manifest a pattern. If you don't get some help, and it becomes urgent for you, please post back and we will see if we can help with your query). Thanks,

Last edited:

frm_risk

@Nicole M and @David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM : Thank you for your advice. Even I was surprised that this topic is not directly discussed/mentioned anywhere on the GARP website. I also agree that a standard "guess" would be that they will say, "Sure, why not! Upgrade to the next level by paying the additional fees." Of course, I will contact GARP and get this confirmed by them. I will make sure to post their response here so that you both are informed and that others can get to hear the answer as well.

I have just begin with the preparation for FRM Part I using BT (I was able to find in my collection/borrow quite a few books that have assigned readings) and am feeling pretty good about the material and was hoping to take both parts on the same day, if I still feel confident a few weeks later.

Thank you.

KSzeto

Hello,

Would there be significant changes between the 2013's and 2014's study materials for Part 1 FRM?
Is there a change log if I were to use the 2014 materials to compare to the 2013's materials?

Thanks!

BlackSwan

I was wondering if anyone (BT staff or current/past FRM takers) had any thoughts on this suggested study plan (high level) for Part I

There's 4 main parts for Part I exam. I was thinking about covering the topics in this order
January - Foundations of Risk Management (already started covering some topics)
February - Quantitative Analysis
March - Financial Markets & products
April - Valuation & Risk Models
May (1st-16th) - Review

Obviously it will vary per person based on their background, but is this 1 month for 1 main topic a decent approach? Will this line up with BT's publishing for the most part?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@BlackSwan,

I am hoping to have the publishing calendar finished today. Once that is published, it will be much easier for you to compare your study schedule with our publishing dates. I will post the calendar as soon as possible. Thanks!

frm_risk

My question is regd. GARP - FRM. If I register for Part 1 May 2014 ONLY (and I have done that), is it possible to register for taking Part 2 later on for the same day? i.e. "upgrade" to take both exams?

@Nicole M and @David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM : I contacted GARP and their response was that I can register for Part 2 after registering only for Part 1 initially (to take both parts on the same day). They wanted to remind that there are different deadlines for registration and this additional registration has to be done before the deadline.

So the short answer is, "Yes."