2020/2021 Curriculum Change Analysis Spreadsheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Below are the spreadsheets that we prepare every year to analyze the changes in the GARP curriculum from year to year. This analysis shows readings that have been removed, added, and changed. Any readings in red have been removed in 2021, readings in blue are new to 2021, and readings in black are unchanged. Although GARP provides the Study Guide Changes, this XLS actually analyzes all of the changes in the learning objectives also.

* Note that these spreadsheets analyze the changes from 2010-2021 so there are tabs at the bottom for each year.

For any questions regarding updated materials for 2021, please see our publishing process here: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/please-read-publishing-process-for-2021.23610/.

Last edited:

tylerswob

Nevermind. They answered that question in the delay announcement.

Thanks for this, @Nicole Seaman. Are the changes this reflects going to be in the January test? Many of us that tried to take the October test which was cancelled; then the November test which also got cancelled; and (hopefully) will finally get to take the test in January. That remains to be seen of course.

navneetc107

Thank You Nicole for this! Just a query I also saw that GARP in their website didn't mention the exam locations for January exams! They directly mentioned their location for May 2021 exams!

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thank You Nicole for this! Just a query I also saw that GARP in their website didn't mention the exam locations for January exams! They directly mentioned their location for May 2021 exams!
Hello @navneetc107

If you were registered for an exam in 2020 that was postponed to January 2021, your exam location will remain the same unless GARP makes an announcement that it has changed. I've created a thread for discussion regarding the postponed 2020 exams here: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2021-exam-update-from-garp-for-2020-postponed-exams.23616/.

aseemmehta

Subscriber
Hi,
I am going to give my exams in november 2021. I had read on a post here that the changes by the institute can be shared in December. I want to know what are the changes in syllabus for November 2021 exams. I have not yet registered for the course, I will register when it opens in may, and I am planning to give part 1 only.

Thank you

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi,
I am going to give my exams in november 2021. I had read on a post here that the changes by the institute can be shared in December. I want to know what are the changes in syllabus for November 2021 exams. I have not yet registered for the course, I will register when it opens in may, and I am planning to give part 1 only.

Thank you
Hello @aseemmehta

Please note that I moved your post to this thread, which discusses the changes in the curriculum for 2021. Any important information like this will always be posted in our Announcements section in the forum.

nictziak1

Hi @Nicole Seaman and thanks for the spreadsheets.
Particularly interested for P2 (but other people may also be interested for P1) - will the study materials and questions in Bionic Turtle be updated to reflect the added/removed LOs?
If yes, when should we expect these amended study materials?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber

97henry

Was aiming for Nov 2020 FRM test, but couldn't take it due to various reasons and am now back on track studying with 2020 GARP books and Bionic Turtle material from the same period. Any problems that could arise from this? If any, how can I best minimize?
Also how long can I access the e-Book and BT study materials?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Was aiming for Nov 2020 FRM test, but couldn't take it due to various reasons and am now back on track studying with 2020 GARP books and Bionic Turtle material from the same period. Any problems that could arise from this? If any, how can I best minimize?
Also how long can I access the e-Book and BT study materials?
Hello @97henry

I moved your post to this thread, which discusses the changes in the curriculum for 2021. There were very few changes made to the curriculum between 2020 and 2021. While I cannot speak for the GARP books, your subscription with Bionic Turtle is valid for one year from your date of purchase. This includes all updated materials that are published during this time. So, any new or updated materials that we publish this year will be updated in your current study planner.

Justyna80

Edit: I noticed it now, after downloading excel file...

Hallo Nicole,
I noticed, that GARP added an extra chapter in FRM 2, part RM and Investment Management:
"Detecting fraud by investment managers".
This chapter is not listed in the Study Changes Guide, but I can see it in the new LO 2021 and in my online GARP book.
I can't see it in your update.
BTW I don't want to be annoying but it would be helpful to know when you post the study updates. :)
Thank you.
Justyna

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Edit: I noticed it now, after downloading excel file...

Hallo Nicole,
I noticed, that GARP added an extra chapter in FRM 2, part RM and Investment Management:
"Detecting fraud by investment managers".
This chapter is not listed in the Study Changes Guide, but I can see it in the new LO 2021 and in my online GARP book.
I can't see it in your update.
BTW I don't want to be annoying but it would be helpful to know when you post the study updates. :)
Thank you.
Justyna
Hello @Justyna80

Thank you for editing your post to let me know that you found the added reading in our spreadsheet. Regarding the updated materials, I keep a list of every set of new and updated materials published here for Part 2: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2021-part-2-new-and-updated-published-materials.23612/. Thank you. :)

jawele

Hi

I've just received an email from GARP, saying that:

"In light of recent trends, some of the new features of our 2021 Financial Risk Manager program include:
  • Enhanced and updated GARP proprietary Part I study content for the FRM Exam
  • Updated readings for Credit Risk Measurement and Management, as well as Risk Management and Investment Management
  • Updated readings about COVID-19, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Climate Risk, Cyber Resiliency and phasing out Libor in Current Issues"
Does somebody know what exactly has changed? Will the July-exam (2021) be impacted by this update?

Thank you

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi

I've just received an email from GARP, saying that:

"In light of recent trends, some of the new features of our 2021 Financial Risk Manager program include:
  • Enhanced and updated GARP proprietary Part I study content for the FRM Exam
  • Updated readings for Credit Risk Measurement and Management, as well as Risk Management and Investment Management
  • Updated readings about COVID-19, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Climate Risk, Cyber Resiliency and phasing out Libor in Current Issues"
Does somebody know what exactly has changed? Will the July-exam (2021) be impacted by this update?

Thank you
Hello @jawele I moved your post to this thread, which provides the curriculum change analysis for 2020-2021. GARP only changes the curriculum once per year in January. There have been no additional changes made to the curriculum since then. This email looks to be highlighting what they added to the curriculum in 2021, but nothing will change again until 2022.

reiss1

Hi all,

I noticed that after skipping the optional appendix in Ch1 notes: "Describe elements, or building blocks, of the risk management process and identify problems and challenges that can arise in the risk management process." that I was confused with some of the questions.

For instance: in question 502.1. RAROC is mentioned but since I skipped the appendix I was slightly confused.

Would it be better to learn the optional appendix or try to make educated guesses (or skip) practice questions with those contents?

Thanks in advance!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @reiss1 Not sure exactly what you are asking, but you should not need to work the optional questions (is why they are designated optional). At the same time, some of our questions do not have direct references to our notes, or even the current topic; e.g., I'm proud of the fact that some of our questions cross-reference to other topics and are dense that way. Working the optional questions will not necessarily "cure" this experience. Our questions go deep and cover details, they won't always have exact references. I hope that helps to explain that optional questions are deliberately optional. Thanks,

enjofaes

Just a random question I don't know if I put it in the right category so don't blame me for putting it here under errata.

The subscription for FRM2022 has not officially started, so will subscribers to BT get a notification of the changes in terms of 2022 curriculum? I imagine that you will not go through all books directly but as you are officially a prep package, you might have connections within GARP that list the changes so that you can make new videos for the new content and list lessons that are maybe become less relevant in regard to the 2022 exam.

So far loving the resources. I am glad I started this early with busy season in FRM starting in my current consultancy role and failing for CFA last summer because I only put 100 hours in in 3/4 weeks time.
Best,
Enjo

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Just a random question I don't know if I put it in the right category so don't blame me for putting it here under errata.

The subscription for FRM2022 has not officially started, so will subscribers to BT get a notification of the changes in terms of 2022 curriculum? I imagine that you will not go through all books directly but as you are officially a prep package, you might have connections within GARP that list the changes so that you can make new videos for the new content and list lessons that are maybe become less relevant in regard to the 2022 exam.

So far loving the resources. I am glad I started this early with busy season in FRM starting in my current consultancy role and failing for CFA last summer because I only put 100 hours in in 3/4 weeks time.
Best,
Enjo
Hello @enjofaes. I moved your post to this thread, which provides information on the curriculum analysis spreadsheets that we create each year. These spreadsheets include all of the changes that have been made to the curriculum from year to year. Once the 2022 curriculum is released by GARP, we will update the spreadsheet We begin to update the materials in the study planner around January each year. This post is for 2021, but our process is the same. After the curriculum is released, we will post new forum links with the publishing process, curriculum changes, and links to the threads where we post new or updated materials for 2022.

enjofaes

Looked at them very briefly (did not look at wording changes in detail) based on the LOS 2022 on the site. Might be useful for some. Best, Enjo

Attachments

• 2021-2022 changes.xlsx
    76.6 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.