YouTube T2-26: Maximum likelihood estimation of GARCH parameters

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
GARCH(1,1) is the popular approach to estimating volatility, but its disadvantage (compared to STDDEV or EWMA) is that you need to fit three parameters. Maximum likelihood estimation, MLE, is an immensely useful statistical approach that can be used to find "best fit" parameters. In this video, I replicate John Hull's example (the data is S&P 500 index values) to find the best fit alpha (α), beta (β), and omega (ω). Keep in mind that the long-run variance = ω/(1 - α - β), such that indirectly this is solving for a long-run (aka, unconditional) variance.

David's XLS is here: https://trtl.bz/2NlLn7d

In practice I tried to find the best lambda parameter for EWMA using MLE, but it turned out that the function I wanted to maximize didn’t have an extremum on any lambda less than 1. It was simply growing as lambda increased. So as my Excel solver just kept the solution for lambda as close to 1 as possible which didn’t look too logical. Does this example show that MLE can sometimes don’t work?

jonatansouza

GARCH(1,1) é a abordagem popular para estimar a volatilidade, mas sua desvantagem (em comparação com STDDEV ou EWMA) é que você precisa se encaixar em três parâmetros. A estimativa máxima de probabilidade, MLE, é uma abordagem estatística imensamente útil que pode ser usada para encontrar parâmetros "mais adequados". Neste vídeo, replisto o exemplo de John Hull (os dados são valores de índice S&P 500) para encontrar o melhor ajuste alfa (α), beta (β) e ômega (ω). Tenha em mente que a variância de longo prazo = ω/(1 - α - β), de tal forma que indiretamente isso está resolvendo para uma variância de longo prazo (também conhecida como incondicional).

A XLS do David está aqui: https://trtl.bz/2NlLn7d

Excelente vídeo!
Você poderia explicar como esse modelo matemático funciona nos mercados brasileiros do IBOVESPA?

Edited by Nicole to provide translation: Excellent video! Could you explain how this mathematical model works in the Brazilian markets of IBOVESPA?

Last edited by a moderator: