Blog Week in Risk (February 18th)

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Some of the new content this week
We are building out our free youtube channel playlists. Here are the FRM playlists (our sequence approximately follows the syllabus):
Selected discussion in the forum this week
Some external links I found to relevant to the FRM, or just interesting

Last edited:

QuantMan2318

Subscriber
Dear @David Harper CFA FRM

Glad to see that this is back after a while :)

What do you think is the better avenue? Machine Learning or Data Science in R? I have been juggling in my limited time with these two. I have taken many certifications from data camp after your guidance here, but can you suggest ways so that I can apply what I learnt and I won't forget?

Thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @QuantMan2318 Thank you for supporting WIR, I was trying to enjoy my Sunday for a bit there ;) but from this point thru the exam I'll be working pretty much everyday so I think the WIR is back for now! So glad to hear you are learning on datacamp, do you like it? I met a few of them in San Diego at the rconf, such a cool company.

Re: What do you think is the better avenue? Machine Learning or Data Science in R? Well, I don't know. I've gone the "data science" route simply because, like you, I have limited time; and I want to record youtube videos with R, such that I feel like I will be able to do that (much) more proficiently with the more basic layers of skills (or, maybe I should say: my current path tends to be breadth vis à vis tidyverse, rather than depth). Maybe also I wonder if ML is a big mountain to climb, a major commitment (?). Ergo I haven't engaged deeply at all in ML. I just have a couple of other areas of intellectual interest; e.g., I am very interest in geographical/spatial visualizations (e.g., choropleth) . Maybe because I teach, just the visualization methods in EDA fascinate me.

The best advice that I think I've gotten so far, with respect to keeping skills sticky, is to simply start a blog. So I am going to do that ASAP (this forum just makes it very difficult), I think with blogdown; see https://bookdown.org/yihui/blogdown/

My other keen interest is time series, fwiw. At the conference, one of the super smart guys at Business Science reviewed their tibbletime (http://www.business-science.io/code-tools/2018/01/04/tibbletime-0-1-0.html ) and I'm really keen to sharpen my time series skills. Maybe see if i can find an excuse to use that in an investment capacity! Thanks!

Last edited: