Tax question

kateonair

Hi Dave,

I am preparing for the tax 2008 and find the tuition tax credit info from the IRS website.

IRS mentions the requirement of the education institution. Would you please let me know whether your institution is qualified for the eligible educational institution? Thanks a lot!

Here is the link for IRS Publication 970 for your reference:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch03.html#d0e3213

"Eligible educational institution.

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution."

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi kate,

I cannot claim that we are eligible. I admit we haven't looked at this. I've asked my assistant to look into this and discern what is required; it appears to me that we cannot simply make an "affirmative declaration" that we are such an institution but rather, we need some kind of approval from the DOE. So, I cannot say we are thusly qualified. But, we will explore this and I'll update you if we can become eligible.

David

Dettos

Hi Dave,

I am preparing for the tax 2008 and find the tuition tax credit info from the IRS website.

IRS mentions the requirement of the education institution. Would you please let me know whether your institution is qualified for the eligible educational institution? Thanks a lot!

Here is the link for IRS Publication 970 for your reference - i need help with my tax return:

http://yourbooksontime.com/help-with-my-tax-return

"Eligible educational institution.

An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution."

Yes, it is an axiom!