Course Study Notes and Vital Source

Laurent

Hi there, I've just joined BT and getting accustomed to the study materials. So far the videos are great but I'm very surprised about how dense the "study notes" are, probably bigger than the GARP books? I took the free trial from Kaplan Schwesers for comparison and their Part 1 Book 1 notes are a fraction of BT notes. I'm really puzzled about it, how can you explain it? Also Vitalsource doesn't allow for copy paste, since the BT notes are so dense I'd like to select sections and create my own notes to review them before the exam. How do you go about it? Many thanks

gsarm1987

FRM Content Developer
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi there, I've just joined BT and getting accustomed to the study materials. So far the videos are great but I'm very surprised about how dense the "study notes" are, probably bigger than the GARP books? I took the free trial from Kaplan Schwesers for comparison and their Part 1 Book 1 notes are a fraction of BT notes. I'm really puzzled about it, how can you explain it? Also Vitalsource doesn't allow for copy paste, since the BT notes are so dense I'd like to select sections and create my own notes to review them before the exam. How do you go about it? Many thanks
Prep material where ever it may be, is always a supplement to the main meal (GARP). i think BT appears bulkier because of the font size and page layout. If you arrange GARP books in same format, you will realise what i mean. I'd say focus more on practice questions given in vital source and pay attention to questions posted by David/Nicole on the forum. As a CFA, FRM 1 GARP material was the most interesting text so far, but it costs time and lacks practice questions. I'd suggest, split your day, one part engage with BT/prep material and second part with reading GARP material. if i were you, i'd read from BT, do practice material and see how well i do, if there is a lacking of knowledge then id open GARP. This does work in Part 1 but part 2 GARP leaves you in the darkest pits of mystery quite the times. I purchased GARP FRM 2 material in Dec 2020 then bought again in June 2021, still couldnt read it all close to end of Dec 2021 so had to use BT to catch up with prep speed. I passed in June 2022. Keep yourself engaged daily and make sure to reserve ample number of days (ideally +6weeks) before exam to practice questions/revise and do mocks. We all think differently so if helps let me know.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Thank you @gsarm1987 that is such helpful insight (I didn't even think about the font size!)

Hi @LBela4498 Welcome! Thanks for the question/feedback. We don't often get the criticism that the notes are too dense. (I will punt the VS question because I don't have an immediate answer on VS).

Here's what I would say (I'd be totally interested where Goher agrees/disagrees):
  • First, I do agree that many our P1 notes are more dense for many chapters (it is not the case for all of our readings; e.g., our forthcoming P2.T7 Operational Risk Study Notes are often shorter because, in those case, abbreviation is often warranted)
  • GARP's P1 are newly internal ("proprietary") to GARP and they are dramatically shorter than before, but in many cases, that's because they eliminated many illustrated and numerical examples; e.g., swap valuation offers only one method (bonds) which is less robust; exotic options covers 11 exotic instruments in five pages (impossible to grok). Part of our density is due to illustrated examples.
  • I'm on record saying that GARP's new/recent P1 readings are often too brief to adequately prepare; for example, for most of P1.T3, the candidate who doesn't want any EPP would be better to utilize Hull's chapters from OFOD (Hull is the author of both anyway!)
  • We do organize by LOS and this is an important point: it means you can skip ahead to the desired LOS. Unorganized density is one thing, but our density is organized to the LOS
  • More about our (my) philosophy here at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-bionic-turtle-doing-2023-frm-why-we-different-harper-cfa-frm (feel fee to connect with me on LI also). Thanks!

Last edited:

Laurent

Thanks David.
Prep material where ever it may be, is always a supplement to the main meal (GARP). i think BT appears bulkier because of the font size and page layout. If you arrange GARP books in same format, you will realise what i mean. I'd say focus more on practice questions given in vital source and pay attention to questions posted by David/Nicole on the forum. As a CFA, FRM 1 GARP material was the most interesting text so far, but it costs time and lacks practice questions. I'd suggest, split your day, one part engage with BT/prep material and second part with reading GARP material. if i were you, i'd read from BT, do practice material and see how well i do, if there is a lacking of knowledge then id open GARP. This does work in Part 1 but part 2 GARP leaves you in the darkest pits of mystery quite the times. I purchased GARP FRM 2 material in Dec 2020 then bought again in June 2021, still couldnt read it all close to end of Dec 2021 so had to use BT to catch up with prep speed. I passed in June 2022. Keep yourself engaged daily and make sure to reserve ample number of days (ideally +6weeks) before exam to practice questions/revise and do mocks. We all think differently so if helps let me know.
great thanks! very helpful.

Laurent

Thank you @gsarm1987 that is such helpful insight (I didn't even think about the font size!)

Hi @LBela4498 Welcome! Thanks for the question/feedback. We don't often get the criticism that the notes are too dense. (I will punt the VS question because I don't have an immediate answer on VS).

Here's what I would say (I'd be totally interested where Goher agrees/disagrees):
  • First, I do agree that many our P1 notes are more dense for many chapters (it is not the case for all of our readings; e.g., our forthcoming P2.T7 Operational Risk Study Notes are often shorter because, in those case, abbreviation is often warranted)
  • GARP's P1 are newly internal ("proprietary") to GARP and they are dramatically shorter than before, but in many cases, that's because they eliminated many illustrated and numerical examples; e.g., swap valuation offers only one method (bonds) which is less robust; exotic options covers 11 exotic instruments in five pages (impossible to grok). Part of our density is due to illustrated examples.
  • I'm on record saying that GARP's new/recent P1 readings are often too brief to adequately prepare; for example, for most of P1.T3, the candidate who doesn't want any EPP would be better to utilize Hull's chapters from OFOD (Hull is the author of both anyway!)
  • We do organize by LOS and this is an important point: it means you can skip ahead to the desired LOS. Unorganized density is one thing, but our density is organized to the LOS
  • More about our (my) philosophy here at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-bionic-turtle-doing-2023-frm-why-we-different-harper-cfa-frm (feel fee to connect with me on LI also). Thanks!
Thanks David. I've had a long career in markets (strong rates derivatives expertise), this is why I'd rather have shorter notes. Regarding VitalSource, copy/paste isn't allowed. How can I select part of your notes to create my own notes?