Study aims vs Handbook

edmundkan

I understand that your notes and tutorials are all following the study aims. How about the FRM Handbook? Am i required to review the Handbook as well as i skimmed through the chapters and found that the contents are different from the study aims. Please kindly advise. Thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Edmund -

I am *not* recommending the latest edition of the handbook. While I had been looking forward to the new version, the 5th edition is nearer to "update 4.1" than "upgrade 5.0." It is barely updated from the previous, and more problematic, it sidesteps somehow the impact of the credit crisis (Want a disappointing example? I see nothing, absolutely nothing, on intervening Basel II developments...stunning...it won't earn me political points, but I can't hide my dissappointment with this approach - to essentially slap a new cover on an old print.)

Plus, the practice questions, as far as i can tell, are unchanged. Last year, we found many many problems with the handbook's practice questions (we tallied incorrect and/or irrelevant questions posted here on the forum, and our sample revealed an alarming 30+% [sample] error rate on posted questions!). As I've written here on the forum--and btw all of this has been given as direct feedback to GARP--we argued that some of the handbook questions, where they were incorrect or irrelevant to the fresh reading list, were actually counter-productive in leading candidates astray on certain topics. (of course it has many good questions).

Don't get me wrong, Jorion is among my favorite authors for his precision (he did not write the questions), but the 5th version is not materially different than the 4th; which is a great intro to the topic, but so is Jorion's book (VaR 3rd edition). As a standalone, the 4th/5th is a great intro, but if a candidate has the assignments and practice questions already, then it is *not* necessary.

David

devang

Hi David,

I have registered for FRM exams and I read in one of your blogs/forums that AIMS for 2009 is released and is available to registered FRM candidates. But I am not able to find that on GARP website. I tried searching in the GARP digital library section but no luck..Could you please guide me where is it available (precisely which section) on GARP website?

Thanks a lot in advance..

I WAS ABLE TO GET AIMS FOR FRM 2009 FROM GARP WEBSITE....SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE..THANKS ANYWAYS////