Some terms in Stulz's chapter of foundation

Patrick Pan

Hi David,

I feel a little bit confused about the several terms used in Stulz's chapter 2.

1. Shareholder and invester, do they mean the same thing? Can I interpret that shareholders are pure stock holder but investers could buy other asset like derivatives?

2. Firm , does this word refere to an invester (such as mutual fund) or a corpration (like IBM) which issues the asset?
Then can I say the firm's value is the value of portfolio if the firm really means buyer of asset?

Thanks
Patrick

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Patrick,

1. In the first part of book, Stulz is never really beyond a simple capital structure (classic Merton model) with two investor classes: equity and debt. So, shareholder are owners of common equity; investors include shareholders who (under classic theory) likely own diversified portfolios, including other common shares, maybe debt too, and as you say, maybe they own derivatives too. So, a shareholders implies an investor; but the converse depends on whether the sharedholder is diversified. Note shareholder is subclass of broader stakeholder. So, yes, I agree exactly with your parsing: "shareholders" is from the perspective of the firm's capital structure (the group that owns the common equity); "investors" is *not* from the firm perspective.

2. Right, well, IMO your confusion is warranted. Stulz' imprecision (and very difficult prose) has given challenge each year (I recommended GARP drop these Chapters b/c they are constantly causing confusion. GARP accepted many of my recommendations, but not this one...). I hesitate to infer Stulz' exact meaning of "firm" because frankly I don't think he is precise like, say, Jorion in precise. In regard to the eary chapters, you can trust Stulz is always operating from the simple two-class capital structure that underlies classic Merton. In this respect, "firm" refers to what we tend to call in valuation "entity;" e.g., corporation. Entity includes corporation, but reminds us we are not venturing into legal structures. And so,

firm (entity) value = market value of common + market value of debt [under simple two-class capital structure]

the framework he is using is assets = debt + equity, so by "firm" i think he means the entity characterized by this balance sheet. But I don't *think* he is precise about this entity. Put another way, I think trying to parse him on "firm" is more precision than he is giving, rather maybe think about this all in terms of a balance sheet.

Hope that helps, David