Simple Binomial Question - given chance of up move

cwright

I think this is a simple question but just wanted to verify... If a question says, "John thinks the probability of an up move at any point is 50%", does this ever go into the solution? or should we always calculate the risk neutral probability and use it instead?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi cwright,

A great point. Without getting into the nitty gritty, GARP basically follows correct theory and ignores something like "John thinks the probability of an up move at any point is 50%" it is assumed to mean "John thinks the real-world probability of an up move at any point is 50%." And GARP almost always asks instead for the risk-neutral probability which is the (p) in our formulas, consider the question in our FR7 and from 2012:
GARP 2012.P1.7 (blue add and emphasis is mine) "A risk manager for Bank XYZ, Mark, is considering writing a 6-month American put option on a non-dividend-paying stock ABC. The current stock price is USD 50 and the strike price of the option is USD 52. In order to find the no-arbitrage price of the option Mark uses a two-step binomial tree model. The stock price can go up or down by 20% each period. Mark’s view is that the stock price has an 80% [real-world] probability of going up each period and a 20% probability of going down. The annual risk-free rate is 12% with continuous compounding. What is the risk-neutral probability of the stock price going up in a single step?"

It is maybe hard to decipher given the redundancy of the 20%, but this entire sentence is an unused red herring: "Mark’s view is that the stock price has an 80% probability of going up each period and a 20% probability of going down"

because:
  • Mark's 80% is presumed to be a real-world probability
  • but, as GARP almost always does, the question specifically asks for (p), the risk-neutral probability, which is given by (exp[12%*0.25]-0.8)/(1.2-0.8) = 57.61%
i hope that helps,