Results FRM May 2011

Passed L2. Q2 Q1 Q1 Q2 Q2

Thanks for your hard practice question sets. They really served me well for the exam. I won't be truthful if I say I thoroughly enjoy answering these disconcertingly hard questions, but I am sure glad I endure the probe of your ego-puncturing problem sets. Thanks to you, I didn't lose my composure facing the actual exam questions. Having already been taken to an Everest, I was confident that the exam was just another hill, certainly surmountable. That confidence removed the asperity of exam stress and allowed me to do well.

Thanks a lot.

sl

Finally!!. After all that anticipation of waiting for the results and the frustration of being let down by GARP yesterday, I am happy to say that I've passed the exam and that too in the 1st Quartile in all the sections. Thanks a lot David!!!. I found your spreadsheets and practice problems helpful.

I have failed my FRM Part 2

what to do if not happy with the result can i apply for re evaluation coz i believe i have done much better then my score and is it possible that the scraton didnt read my answers

any retakers plz help

david i would appreciate ur advice in this matter

thanks

cheneybeenie

I have passed level 2 as well. Thanks David for all the help and well prepared materials. I must admit that I only used your materials and did not read the readings, due to the fact that I have two young children, busy work schedule, and, and , and.

I have downloaded the readings and will definitely read and reference them when time permits.

Thanks again.

AG

Hi Everyone... Passed L1... All topics Q1...

Appearing for L2 in Nov... Anyone willing to form a study group? (also, anyone from India appearing for Nov Part 2)

I'm planning to purchase BT for level 2.

braxxus

I only used the BT material as well in order to pass Level 2.

@Salman - They actually have made the exam much more difficult than it was in the past. I know some FRMs that didn't study a lick, didn't read anything, and still managed to pass. Mind you this was 7-8 years ago, but the exam was a complete joke back then. This one does require a lot more work. People getting all Q3 to pass really is quite sad though. It isn't just the FRM that has such problems though, the CFA has large percentages of people that pass also.

It is possible that the cutoff for Q3 in some of the areas could be getting 80% right, but then again it might be getting 50% right. That is the problem with a curve, but you never know how difficult the exam is as well. It is possibly though unlikely that an undergraduate in a university might be given an exam that a PhD would find difficult by a new, inexperienced professor. It is the reason that they curve. The top score in such an exam might be 50%, while another much easier exam might have a perfect score as the top score.

Lets also remember the pass rate for Nov '10 L1 was 39%, the lowest pass rate since the early days of the exams existence.

As a new FRM holder and someone who put in 350-400 hours into this thing I hope it remains the toughest exam out there.

But I guess it is possible if May '11 L2 pass rate ends up being in the 55-60% range like in November, that you could finish in the top end of the 3rd Q in all categories and still be in that 55% passing range. Also, as May L2 was widely viewed as an easier exam than Nov L1, that the scores may be more bunched together, where a tougher exam would give a wider dispersion.

Finance_Guy

Agreed - but as someone who is studying for an FRM certification like myself, I will really want the standard of people passing the test to be good. I understand that it is very much dependent on the curve and the difficulty of the exam - but my only point is if someone is succeeding to clear the exam with all his sections quarile btw 25 % and 50 %, there is no way he will have been in even the top 50% of people sitting in the exam - or is it that they missed the 2nd quartile by 1-2%. only.

Yes, but as someone has already mentioned, if the scores are highly concentrated, then people with very similar (and potentially high) scores may still fall into the lower quartiles. I think the curve is likely used for information purposes and that pass/fail decided on a pass mark, rather than a quota of people on the top end of the curve. It does beg the question as to whether the paper was a little too easy, of course, but not necessarily a reflection on the calibre of the candidates.

AG

@Salman, things like this can definitely happen (theoretically atleast)....
Consider a simple situation. 4 sections...A(25%), B(25%), C(25%) & D(25%)..

I score 25/25 in A and B and 10/25 in C and D. My overall score 70. Now let another person X scored 80 (20+20+20+20).. It may be possible that X has scored in the first quartiles in all four topics, ended up being the highest scorer with an overall score only 10 more than mine.

So unless you get the actual overall ranks, it's impossible to say where I stand on an overall basis. Overall I still might end up in the first quartile.

braxxus

It is possible but unlikely. They aren't looking for a percentage to pass, they are looking for all of the scores withni a certain percentage of the top scores. If scores are tightly bunched many more people will pass. It might just be better if they said top 30% or so pass and everyone else does not, but I doubt that would happen.

braxxus

Very few people took the level II exam in Philadelphia. 7 people in the room, but at least one of them was taking the ERM. I don't know how others in the room did.

braxxus

Pass rate won't be posted for MANY months at least. Minimum of 3 months from now, might very well be much longer.