P1.T4.20. Credit rating scales: migration (transition) matrix

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
AIMs: Describe what a rating scale is ... credit migration (transition) matrix [not in 2012 AIMs, but added as GARP consistently queries in sample papers]

Questions:

20.1. The following actual, recent rating transition (aka, migration) matrix gives the transition probabilities of corporate bonds for one-year period.
T4Q20_rating_matrix_1.png

Under an assumption of independence ("Markovian assumption"), what is the unconditional probability that a AAA-rated bond will be exactly AA-rated (one grade lower) at the end of three years?

a. 4.69%
b. 5.50%
c. 9.60%
d. 14.09%

20.2. This migration matrix gives the credit ratings transition probabilities of corporate bonds over a one-year period (same as prior: Fitch's actual updated matrix):

Over the next single year, which of the statements is TRUE?

a. BB obligors have a 9.99% probability of defaulting over the year
b. BB obligors have a 7.04% probability of being downgraded over the year
c. BB obligors have a ~ 90.0% probability of at least maintaining their rating; i.e., ending the year BB or higher
d. It is impossible for a BB obligor to be upgraded to AAA in one year

20.3. Assume the following corporate bond credit rating migration matrix for a one-year period (same as prior: Fitch's actual updated matrix):

What is the cumulative probability that a BB obligor will default within the next two years, assuming Markovian independence?

a. 0.017%
b. 1.290%
c. 2.563%
d. 2.985%

Answers:

cecilia

I cannot get the right answer to question 20.1. Is it possible to see the solution and calculation?
Thank you

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
I cannot get the right answer to question 20.1. Is it possible to see the solution and calculation?
Thank you
Hello @cecilia

The answers and in-depth explanations of our Daily Practice Questions are only available to paid members who have purchased one of our FRM study packages. These practice questions are part of our paid practice question sets so we cannot provide the answers and expectations to unpaid members. You can view the study packages that we offer here on our website: https://www.bionicturtle.com/shop-courses/. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about our program. :)