Exam Feedback October 2020 Part 2 Exam Feedback

mcrisk7

There was a hedge fund question relating to biases, I selected measurement bias as it includes many biases. Not sure whether it is correct.

I think I selected "selection bias, and not survivorship bias" (this combination was one of the answers provided). I guess "no survivorship bias" because the hedge fund was not listed in the database as stated in the description of the problem. Not 100% sure on that one though.

randomname

I think I selected "selection bias, and not survivorship bias" (this combination was one of the answers provided). I guess "no survivorship bias" because the hedge fund was not listed in the database as stated in the description of the problem. Not 100% sure on that one though.
I just looked at the answers without reading the question, seems to have been the wrong strategy

mcrisk7

I just looked at the answers without reading the question, seems to have been the wrong strategy

Difficult to say, as other questions had a load of irrelevant information where you had saved a lot of time by doing so.. No wonder if GARP wouldn't follow a straight line here..

seevvlee

For this particular round, what do you all think the passing mark would be? I read that it's around 75% of how the top 5%tile performs i.e. if top 5% gets 70/80 on average, then the passing mark would be 75% x 70 = ~52.5.

goodbunny

For this particular round, what do you all think the passing mark would be? I read that it's around 75% of how the top 5%tile performs i.e. if top 5% gets 70/80 on average, then the passing mark would be 75% x 70 = ~52.5.
My guess would be 45-48. What do you think?

seevvlee

Tbh I am just plucking this from thin air. I am sure it will be much lower. I can't see the top 5% average being higher than 60.
Haha you are indeed a goodbunny! It's kind of you to say that. I just wonder if there is anyone who'd actually think the paper was doable. I thought I had prepared decently, but I feel many of the questions even exceed BT standard.

VWJETTY

I can't remember which letter that was. But I think I chose D for this one.

How confident are people with the Current Issues questions e.g. ML/eMoney/cyber etc?

There was one easy one I think where it asked about the uses of eMoney and I think I answered that its value is based on Merchants, businesses can support if it has a wide-spread network. Something along those lines. Because the other answers were based on country currency or based on a country's economical value.

But to your point, there was (i felt) an uncanny amount of these questions. And there were a number of them that I thought were from way left field. Not sure if others feel the same.

Last edited:

toddler

hi, can someone please clarify if the passing rate shared by GARP (like 56% for 2019 part 2) is % of those who registered or % of those who appeared in the exam? Because in my room with capacity of 50, only 15 people turned up for the exam, which is only 30%.

toddler

I remember the following questions.. any suggestions on the correct answer ?
1) hedging using ccs - the difference in basis is due to ? i remember answers were like arbitrage, speculator, etc.
2) ccp - was the answer 3 ways of clearing? self/bilateral/ccp? i know the self clearing didn't make much sense. other options were not relevant as well.
3) cost of trust in blockchain - options were KYC, G20 fx settlement, etc?
4) neural networks - was the answer something like using weak data to predict outcome or the fuzzy logic?
5) FRTB - was the answer like 5 maturity horizons or something else?

For the blockchain question about cost of trust. I believe I have selected an incorrect option. The right option was in lines of that it reduces amount of money blocked in cross border transaction.

taknev

Hi, could somebody kindly confirm the total number of questions in FRM Part 2 Oct 2020 exam as well as the approx. no. of numerical (quantitative / requiring calculations) questions versus approx. no. of theoretical questions ?