Exam Feedback November 2018 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartlander

I had the same answer, just because of the fact that the other choices made no sense. The 45% and 105% was not possible imo and I forget the 4th option.

Yeah but i think option D was something along the line of 'divdend increasing ratio by 30%..' which didnt quite made sense so i went with C instead

The exam is definitely easier than I anticipated, but still, it’s fair. I agree with the rest that there are lots of theory based question. However I believe this is compensated with the much simpler calculation questions. Hopefully the bell curve would be in our favour...

gprisby

This question was particularly about EL and both options were available between the answers, thus based on the 45mio and 55mio calculation. It was a straightforward calculation, EL=EA*PD*LR. I just analyzed this question more from an accounting point of view as an impairment. The loan increases and thus also “probably” the calculated expected loss. Was more a tricky question.

Damn, I missed this one then I think. I remember speeding through it because I thought it was asking what the new EL was based on 45MM.

ami126

Does anyone remember the answer to the question in which we had to calculate the weighted average maturity and one more thing? And the answer to the Crack spread question? I believe my answer to that was 0.41

harshjain

Does anyone remember the answer to the question in which we had to calculate the weighted average maturity and one more thing? And the answer to the Crack spread question? I believe my answer to that was 0.41
There was also a question on stack hedge like 30,000 barrels of oil over 12 months and 1000 contracts each asking to calculate the stack hedge

jajo21

pretty much same with the others. Numeric questions were quite straightforward. But, qualitative questions were tricky and mostly had two answers which were very confusing. Prior to the exam, I went through BT's global drill and interactive quizzes. BT's materials were very helpful and gave more confidence prior to the exam. Cross finger in Jan.

broan

Weighted average coupon and maturity
I think the answer is 4.3 and 300 months. But i did a mistake. Do the basic weighted average.

DesNewman

I'm impressed with how much everyone remembers from the exam - I had forgotten about a lot of the questions until mentioned here. Just to add, there was also a question about the change in value of a portfolio using delta and gamma, and a straight-up calculate the standard deviation of two portfolios question. I ended up getting 0.04 for both - hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

Does anyone know if we'll only get our results 3rd January or do they sometimes come out earlier? Also, considering that we all found the exam more or less the same, do you think getting around 70 questions right now will cut it for a pass?

babamumty

answer to both wac and wam as simple weighed average. I don't think there was any catch. The crack spread was 0.41 acc. to me

Pradyumna

Qualitative qns were very close, so it comes to our luck when we are left with 2 options. I think as most of us found it comparatively easy, cutoff may rise. Meanwhile I guess I am the only one who choose c for AIC, lost n easy qn. One qn on audit - better compliance or work culture
Qn on metallgesellschaft - I got it wrong, marked model risk

Last edited:

vanhvidieu

I'm impressed with how much everyone remembers from the exam - I had forgotten about a lot of the questions until mentioned here. Just to add, there was also a question about the change in value of a portfolio using delta and gamma, and a straight-up calculate the standard deviation of two portfolios question. I ended up getting 0.04 for both - hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

Does anyone know if we'll only get our results 3rd January or do they sometimes come out earlier? Also, considering that we all found the exam more or less the same, do you think getting around 70 questions right now will cut it for a pass?
70 is so far :(

lakhlu

last year they released results on 30th December, so, fingers crossed!

gprisby

Folks.. what are your expectations on the cut-off? I can't sleep unless I know this !!

There is no way to really know this. I am having anxiety about it too, like everyone else. I might stop coming to this thread, I think it makes it worse! Someone posted 70-75 and that sounds about right but it’s really a complete guess.

BartW

There is no way to really know this. I am having anxiety about it too, like everyone else. I might stop coming to this thread, I think it makes it worse! Someone posted 70-75 and that sounds about right but it’s really a complete guess.

Is it not the case that you pass the exam with 70% or higher? When the mean is far below 70%, GARP will adjust the threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.