Exam Feedback May 2017 Part 2 Exam Feedback

bpdulog

Congratulations to all the newly FRM certified!
I would like to seek your advice. I have passed level 1 this May, and I was wondering if it's too late to start studying for Nov'17 level 2 exam? I understand level 2 study material is more lengthy than level 1.. and hence i am not sure if I should take it Nov'17 or May'18 - given that I have a full time job? Would like to hear your thoughts..

I decided to take a cycle off to play golf and enjoy the beach, but plenty of people have done May and Nov back to back. There is still time now, but you should really decide within the next week or so.

Congratulations to all the newly FRM certified!
I would like to seek your advice. I have passed level 1 this May, and I was wondering if it's too late to start studying for Nov'17 level 2 exam? I understand level 2 study material is more lengthy than level 1.. and hence i am not sure if I should take it Nov'17 or May'18 - given that I have a full time job? Would like to hear your thoughts..
I cleared L1 in may'16 and then skipped nov and appeared in may'17 for L2. Totally depends upon person to person..but i preferred giving myself ample time for prep. Most of applicants would suggest 4 months would be enough and it would be definitely be but i started preparing sep'16 and planned to finish syllabus by feb'17 at my own beautiful pace..march, april, may only practice papers, revision..it sounds creepy but i wud had revised entire syllabus atleast 10 times i guess..

Level 1 passed Nov 2016,1,1,2,2 prep time was 3.5 weeks. Very intense, 6-7 hours a day. Will not repeat it but it is possible. All BT.
Level 2 passed May 2017, 1,1,2,2,2 prep time was more this time, about 2.5 mths, 4 hours a day average. 90% BT and 10% GARP
1 quick revision for both times but did all the BT and GARP practice tests. I used the BT forum extensively, it is very helpful. David is a gem.
I am a CFA and work in finance so I have a little background especially for level 1. I am in the investment management side of things, not risk.

I think not losing the intensity helps a little. You have your routine down from L1 and basically the engine is still warm so to speak.
Another advantage for Nov exams if you are using BT is that you will have slightly more BT content as the team catches up to the new syllabus.
May was torture for me coz in the Northeast, crunch time is just when Spring comes around...the rounds of golf I had to give up...

It is all worth it.

Good luck.

cj9101

Level 1 passed Nov 2016,1,1,2,2 prep time was 3.5 weeks. Very intense, 6-7 hours a day. Will not repeat it but it is possible. All BT.
Level 2 passed May 2017, 1,1,2,2,2 prep time was more this time, about 2.5 mths, 4 hours a day average. 90% BT and 10% GARP
1 quick revision for both times but did all the BT and GARP practice tests. I used the BT forum extensively, it is very helpful. David is a gem.
I am a CFA and work in finance so I have a little background especially for level 1. I am in the investment management side of things, not risk.

I think not losing the intensity helps a little. You have your routine down from L1 and basically the engine is still warm so to speak.
Another advantage for Nov exams if you are using BT is that you will have slightly more BT content as the team catches up to the new syllabus.
May was torture for me coz in the Northeast, crunch time is just when Spring comes around...the rounds of golf I had to give up...

It is all worth it.

Good luck.
I have a question about CFA do you think it is easy to have CFA Level 1 in one or two month who already has FRM(I got L2 this time) ?

bpdulog

I have a question about CFA do you think it is easy to have CFA Level 1 in one or two month who already has FRM(I got L2 this time) ?

If you majored in finance for undergrad or b-school then L1 is basically a review of most of those concepts. But there is also a lot of accounting

Shams

Did anyone compare GARP and Schweser Part 2 materials and can advise which one is better to study for Part 2 exam, or do we need to refer both? Do these two have lot of contents in common? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Hope admins don't mind this question on bionic turtle forum!

Did anyone compare GARP and Schweser Part 2 materials and can advise which one is better to study for Part 2 exam, or do we need to refer both? Do these two have lot of contents in common? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Hope admins don't mind this question on bionic turtle forum!
For part 2 i would say schwezer is ok but i would prefer bionic for content. Also if you have time to cover garp materials+bionic questions.. thats the best combination.

Roddefeller

Guys do you think one who got FRM l2 this time can easily get CFA l1 for studying 1~2month?

There is hardly any overlap between FRM L2 and CFA L1. Hence, someone who got FRM L2 this time can as easily get CFA L1 studying 1-2 months as someone who didn't get FRM L2 this time.

In other words: P(A|B)=P(A).

Longpips

Congratulations to all new FRMs. Please encourage your co-workers to take the FRM exams. It's truly the gold standard in risk mgmt. Definitely it's popularity has grown exponentially and will continue to do so. I believe this year is GARP's 20th yr of existence. We might be close to getting 50k FRM holders worldwide, if not there already. For me, it has enhanced my career in banking tremendously. The time and effort to get it is well worth it.

For those who failed, do not give up. If you passed Pt1 it means you've got what it takes to pass Pt 2. You just need to put in quality time.

Cheers!

Dev bagree

Passed with 2,2,1,2,4.... was very surprised with Current issues. Any ways thanks to BT and its wonderful material that helped me navigate a tricky exam.

vistag

Did any one else get FRM Certification Approval? It's been a week since i submited the experience and have not heard back . I see some of the forum members have already received it