Hull book -- can be dispensed with?

sridhar

Hi David,

I read elsewhere in the forum, that we can dispense with reading the Hull book in favor of your screencast and study notes. Are you really saying this? I am happy to follow this advice, if this is indeed the case.

--sridhar

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
sridhar -

Please note I didn't say you can dispense with Hull reading. Other may have. I have always recommended the core (assigned) readings for any candidate, regardless of provider.

Is it my aspiration for the product, that you don't need, to achieve this? Absolutely. But it is still not my recommendation. Why? Candidates vary. Some can do this, but many cannot take this risk as the exam is difficult and they should seek multiple exposures.

David

sridhar

Thanks for your response David. I saw your response in this post:

http://forum.bionicturtle.com/viewthread/300/

and the sentence that you'd view Hull as optional caught my eye. Funny, how you want certain things to catch your eye:) Upon re-reading your response, you were probably saying "don't buy the latest edition" if you already have the previous (6th) edition.

--sridhar

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
sridhar,

my unmoderated forum is going to get me in trouble...I forgot i wrote that. you are detail oriented, this is a good sign for the exam :) I get many questions along the lines of "is it possible for me to avoid buying such and such a text?" and, in the case of Hull, what specifically bugs me about buying Hull 6th edition (if cost is > $100) is that the 7th edition is out any day.

"Upon re-reading your response, you were probably saying "don't buy the latest edition" if you
already have the previous (6th) edition. " That's true, I will happily concede this interpretation, I did just speak to somebody who own Hull 5th edition and, in that case, I said, the Hull chapters are somewhat stable that will mostly do as the Hull chapters are pretty stable even from 5th to 6th, so i said, with the exception of *Credit Derivatives* (the assigned Ch 21 but typo as Ch 13 in study guide) that is maybe "good enough"

David

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
sridhar,

Frankly, i did not realize the Hull chapters cannot be purchased at GARP's digital library. I just went there now and I see Hull sticks out as the one critical text where apparently the chapters cannot be purchased. Now i appreciate why this is coming up re: Hull....this is unfortunate esp as the 7th ed is technically in publication...I am going to make some inquiries but i don't know how far i will get...David

David..
Hull's Book prescribed in core readings is availableas cheap edition by mcgrawhill in India at rs 335/- It is quite good. Still hunting for Gujrati's book.
venkat

shamilakber

Dear Venkat,

I have seen both books of Gujarati. Basic Econometrics and the other mentioned in FRM's core readings, Essentials of Econometrics. I have analyzed that if you just study the appendices in Basic Econometrics book, you don't need to study the chapters of Essentials of Econometrics.

Regards,

Akbar,
Karachi, Pakistan